Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’13: Kofoholici (Team Kofola- CZ, SK)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
148 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 18 19 Next >>
Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4759 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 49 of 148
03 January 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Majka wrote:
A question to the learners of Czech:

would the majority be interested in native materials available freely online, accompanied by either transcripts or commentary from me as a native speaker?

The idea is some form of blog, with Czech and English text - the English one specially prepared for learners of Czech (Assimil like), and links to short TV spots (one idea is the "Toulavá kamera" /Camera on the road/) with complete transcript, translation and maybe a more detailed explanation for the beginners among us. I tried it with one spot (around 3 or 4 minutes). I could prepare 1-2 such spots in a month, even having other commitments.

For people interested in reading Czech literature, there is full text of Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války or the books of Karel Čapek available. Švejk has some difficult vocabulary but a lot of everyday spoken dialogue, and from Čapek I would suggest Italské listy.
Both books are written in very good language and count to the classics.

The idea is to bring native materials to people currently living outside of Czech republic.

Ano to bude jistě zajimave. Mam velice rad jak lekce jsou postaveny v assimilu. Ja taky jsem pro.
1 person has voted this message useful

tajosto
Czech Republic
Joined 4460 days ago

54 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Czech

Message 50 of 148
03 January 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Majka wrote:

would the majority be interested in native materials available freely online, accompanied by either transcripts or
commentary from me as a native speaker?

Ano, prosim! :-)

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4324 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 51 of 148
03 January 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
tajosto wrote:
Majka wrote:

would the majority be interested in native materials available freely online,
accompanied by either transcripts or
commentary from me as a native speaker?

Ano, prosim! :-)

I agree :-). Would be nice to share something with the whole team like that, something
we can discuss. I don't think the differents language levels of the team members are a
problem when Majka varies the materials as far as their difficulty is concerned and I'm
sure the more advanced learners won't mind to help those of us who are still in the
beginning phases of learning Czech.

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4460 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 52 of 148
03 January 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
OK, I think I have all what I need ready.

Our address and the first post as well are online and running.

Please read the "Jak na to" page.

My posts will start with "Pokročilí" (Advanced). The text is the same, but the (slightly) advanced learners can read it all in Czech.
Next part is "Začátečníci". My posts there will contain a translation (right after the Czech sentence, in Assimil like manner but without tables). Feel free to lift the content and copy to Anki or whatever you wish to do with it.

The TV spot is linked at the end of each part "Pokročilí/Začátečníci" of my post and a Dropbox folder with all the files is linked as well. The folder contains the same files twice (for Word and OpenOffice/LibreOffice). Included is transcript of the TV spot, translation, a combined file (looks just like the "Začátečníci" part of the post) and vocabulary list with words I think are useful. Included are archive files as well (all the files in the one or other text format).

To Cavesa and other native speakers:
Pokud najdeš čas a budeš se chtít přidat, ozvi se. Buďto tě můžu kompletně přidat jako dalšího autora, nebo se dohodneme co a jak dál.

To advanced learners:
If anybody would find time to proofread my translations or want to make comments before I post it, feel free to contact me. I prefer advanced learners, because I want to keep the English translation understandable but (too) close to the original text.

To all of you:
Comment freely, discuss, ask :)
Give ideas what to do next - I have a draft of ideas, but nothing is set in stone.
Tell me what you would like to change, what would you like to add.

And please, someone check the docx files - I am generating the files outside of Word and didn't/couldn't check them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6959 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 53 of 148
03 January 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Stránka vyzerá dobre. Len škoda, že sa sústreďujem na iné jazyky.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4812 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 54 of 148
07 January 2013 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Hodně štěstí všem!

Kofola sice není moje nejoblíbenější, ale točenou si občas dám.

nuriayasmin (sorry if I keep spelling you incorectly):
telling the perfect and imperfect verbs is sometimes tough even for Czech children in
the fourth or fifth grades. I guess the best way for a foreigner is to get a lot of
input, to remember which of the two forms of the nearly same verb is "ended" and which
is "continuous", which is the hint the children most often get. But truth be told, vast
majority of them will never need that skill in real life.

Majka: tohle je skvělý! ráda se přidám!

assorted thoughts:

One thing came to my mind, which your guardian angel should teach you. It is a tricky
point of the Czech numbers. It is a catch that has already caused both funny and
serious mistakes, even in official and reliable media.

1 000 000 = a million = milion
1 000 000 000 =a billion = miliarda
1 000 000 000 000 = a trillion = bilion
1 000 000 000 000 = a quadrillion = trilion
and so on.

while the English speaking world usually uses the Short scale (and some nations use the
long scale as I have just learnt from wikipedia), the Czech numbers are "moved" a bit.
But still, it makes more sense than the French numbers :-)

The Gutenberg project

I have noticed there are too few Czech books. There is only one by Čapek (the best
Czech author ever in my opinion), there are none from the more important writers of the
nineteenth century. I wanted to help and have sent an email with the offer and with my
questions to the info adress of the team. But I haven't got any answer so far. I hope
this will change. I would like to get those books there. Especially Čapek would be
awesome for intermediate/advanced learners. His texts include short stories (often
crime stories) and dramas (often sci-fi), some novels, fairy tales, even a fun and
unusual gardening book. His Czech is really beautiful but still normal (not that
flowery rubbish some authors use just to look more interesting).

If I manage to get in contact with the Gutenberg team, I will try to get more Czech
books there. There is a lot in public domain. Čapek, a lot of beautiful fairytales
(collected mostly by Erben or Němcová), some of the drama's are quite good, Erben's
poems and so on. Neruda's short stories are surely public domain, not sure about
Arbes,...

Another similar place where I would love to participate, if I find some free time, is
the librivox.org. Right now, there seems to be only one Czech thing, the poem Svatební
košile by Karel Jaromír Erben. It is nice, but it is not enough.

Well, as I became the guardian angel, and even before of course, I realized the Czech
learners (and the Slovak ones, of course, but I can be only of limited help to you)
have a really huge disadvantage in acquiring free and fun material once they leave the
safety of their textbook. Hopefully, I'll be able to help. I really admire Majka's
project, it is surely going to be another amazing resource (especially before you
gather courage to tackle a whole book or film). I will try to take part somehow as
well.

next time: perhaps some thoughts on good Czech films and tv series for learners. Or
newer books. Or something else. And of course, answering any questions :-) Feel free to
ask anything!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5151 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 55 of 148
07 January 2013 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

next time: perhaps some thoughts on good Czech films and tv series for learners. Or
newer books. Or something else. And of course, answering any questions :-) Feel free to
ask anything!

I've taken the liberty to dig out a couple of lists of Czech or Slovak movies which I had lying around.
They're probably not fully exhaustive, but they should give a couple ideas about what to look for.

Slovak Cinema

Slovak & Czech Cinema

Czech List

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5152 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 56 of 148
08 January 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Majka wrote:
OK, I think I have all what I need ready.

Our address and the first post as well are online and running.

Please read the "Jak na to" page.

My posts will start with "Pokročilí" (Advanced). The text is the same, but the (slightly) advanced learners can read it all in Czech.
Next part is "Začátečníci". My posts there will contain a translation (right after the Czech sentence, in Assimil like manner but without tables). Feel free to lift the content and copy to Anki or whatever you wish to do with it.

The TV spot is linked at the end of each part "Pokročilí/Začátečníci" of my post and a Dropbox folder with all the files is linked as well. The folder contains the same files twice (for Word and OpenOffice/LibreOffice). Included is transcript of the TV spot, translation, a combined file (looks just like the "Začátečníci" part of the post) and vocabulary list with words I think are useful. Included are archive files as well (all the files in the one or other text format).

To Cavesa and other native speakers:
Pokud najdeš čas a budeš se chtít přidat, ozvi se. Buďto tě můžu kompletně přidat jako dalšího autora, nebo se dohodneme co a jak dál.

To advanced learners:
If anybody would find time to proofread my translations or want to make comments before I post it, feel free to contact me. I prefer advanced learners, because I want to keep the English translation understandable but (too) close to the original text.

To all of you:
Comment freely, discuss, ask :)
Give ideas what to do next - I have a draft of ideas, but nothing is set in stone.
Tell me what you would like to change, what would you like to add.

And please, someone check the docx files - I am generating the files outside of Word and didn't/couldn't check them.

I think it's a great idea and the first article was nice, informative with some humour too. I'll be looking forward to the next one. Thanks for all your hard work.

I think writing articles about relevant events like Christmas is the right way to go. Maybe when there's nothing relevant at that time, you could write about Czech hobbies and interesting things from history or interesting and current stories from the media.

Some possible ideas for you are -

Maybe adding some comprehension questions and setting short writing assignments related to the topic.

Maybe you could leave the translation part out until a couple of days after, so that people can study it for themselves and try to understand and answer any questions you might put.

Regarding the English translations, I have a couple of small corrections/alterations.

At least where I'm from, we only say "nativity (scene)" for Betlém.

The place where Jesus was born and spent his first night or however long it was supposed to be is a "manger". I never hear this word for modern meanings though, maybe it's still used in other English speaking areas.

The word for the thing from which animals eat in a barn is "trough". (koryto)

Crib is only the place where babies sleep at night.

Creche is the place where parents leave their children while their working.

Is this the same in your English (Canadian?) Chung?   

Edited by hribecek on 08 January 2013 at 8:02pm

This discussion contains 148 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version