proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 65 of 111
21 October 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
我感冒了. Bleargh. Haven't been sick for like, a year, and it's taking its revenge on me. I have discovered, though, that listening to Chinese radio in Nyquil-induced hazes leads to weird dreams.

1 person has voted this message useful

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 66 of 111
26 October 2013 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
In the home stretch of this damned plague and ramping back up to full speed. Up to 2745 in Remembering the Hanzi.

I also, upon reading irrational's recent update on his log about 'things I wish I had done' where he says he wished he had audio with his sentences from the start, and me thinking, yeah I really need to hear more in-context audio, I experimented with adding some of the Chinesepod audio to my Anki deck.

It was not nearly as onerous as I thought, so I rapidly started doing it for a bunch of the most recent lessons, and after a few days I've already done more than 10% of them.

A few new-ish sentences that I hit on reviews this morning had the audio and playing it right away makes me wonder if this might hurt my initial reading of them, but once I have the audio entered for ALL of them I think I can just toggle off the 'play immediately' thing and only play it manually after I read it. It's kinda hard to test that now with them all spotty.

This would also happily eliminate my problem of always being super-behind on shadowing since it would basically be happening all the time with the Anki deck, that would be cool.

The latest sign of progress is that I was listening to a radio program on the local Chinese station while running some errands in the car, and for the first time ever (this is embarrassing that it's taken so long, but whatever) I could actually figure out what they were talking about. They were talking about being sick and having sore throats, how timely. Probably about to explain some horrible herbal treatments, ha ha.

And then when I was heading home, the program after that started out 'in 1929....' - I wasn't able to figure out if it was a history lesson or, like, some drama thing, but I understood something. Something! A date! The listening for me is so comically hard sometimes I just have to laugh.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4437 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 67 of 111
27 October 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
proudft wrote:
我感冒了. Bleargh. Haven't been sick for like, a year, and it's taking its revenge on me. I have discovered, though, that listening to Chinese radio in Nyquil-induced hazes leads to weird dreams.

Why would you want to listen to Chinese radio while under the influence of medication is beyond me :)

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 68 of 111
30 October 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
In the hope that it makes sense, clearly!

I'm sorta dreading the day I finally can understand it all and find out it's all just as crappy as American talk radio. Right now it sounds like a couple hours a day of world news, then some weird home life stuff (lots of words about family and stuff like that - the Chinese Martha Stewart Show perhaps) an hour or two of music in the afternoon (which I generally avoid, I am bad enough at English lyrics that I am sure this is completely useless), and a couple of hours of stuff that I swear sounds like storytime, which would be like US radio... from 1920. If it really is some kind of storytime, that would be kinda cool.

2764 in RTH... less than 250 to go. Wow. And 20% of my Anki Chinesepod sentences are now audio-ized. More like 50% when I actually do it, since I started from the most current ones which obviously show up more often. And I confirmed, eventually, when my last sentence for the day had audio, that I can turn the audio off by default and only play it when I hit the R key, so yay, that will work out great for keeping my reading up and then shadowing it immediately after.

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 69 of 111
03 November 2013 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
2804 in RTH. The end is in sight!

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 70 of 111
08 November 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I am apparently a glutton for punishment and am doing Nanowrimo this year. Maybe next year I can do it in Chinese. Ha ha.

Anyway, leisure time is basically gone due to this. Exercise has been slacking. Work is getting pretty heavy. Now RTH 2 is puttering along (2818 or something like that). And Thankgiving, and my original goal of being able to participate in conversations, is in three weeks. Aieeeeee!

Who invented this sleep thing? I'd like to have some words with them.

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 71 of 111
12 November 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Up to 2848 in RTH. I think I might be able to actually finish this before Thanksgiving at least. Been slogging away at this damn book for like 16 months, finishing it would be awesome.

One deck I haven't checked on lately is the 'weird traditional characters' deck. I'm up to the S characters in there, so I must be getting close... let's see... 229 of 532. Looks like it starts over from A at some point, hah.

I keep feeling like I am on the verge of understanding stuff like the radio and TV talk shows.... if nothing else it is encouraging and I've been filling nearly every spare moment with Chinese stuff for a while now.

proudft
United States
Joined 4939 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 72 of 111
17 November 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
2871 in RTH. Counting pages, it looks like early December to finish instead of Thanksgiving.

Also halfway through the first episode of something that is NOT a talk show and NOT a soap opera (gasp!): Wild China

I catch a couple of nouns each sentence but comprehension is pretty low. But at least I know what they're talking about. And there are hanzi subtitles, woo!

This discussion contains 111 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version