proudft
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 17 of 111
25 January 2013 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Well, still burning up the Chinesepod lessons at about three a day but not much in the reading/reader/watching departments. Lessons completed:

Words: 190
Sentences: 170
Shadowing: 70. Still. (Man, I'm gonna do some RIGHT NOW.)

I just passed 2000 words in Chinesepod alone. I had a couple of lessons on medical stuff that had severe overlap with the words I entered the Reader deck from NPCR, so if I want to have an accurate (and probably useless) word count I will have to export them all and strip the duplicates at some point. Not really much of a concern other than useless preening, so very low priority.

Almost done with Occupations in the Visual Dictionary, about two more days worth left I think. Doing better in Remembering the Hanzi, I've been pretty good about doing a page a day from there. The book 2 reviews have been pretty brutal, about 60-70/day, but oh well, I just have to get them in my brain somehow and then I'll be done with it one day.

But, less typing, and more shadowing! Kerpoof!

1 person has voted this message useful

proudft
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 18 of 111
30 January 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Eight more Chinesepod lessons down on words, sentences, and shadowing. How symmetrical. I skipped one day of additions on the weekend, and tonight, since I stayed up too late for my memory to hold any more new stuff.

Visual Dictionary is now on "Farms", already on page two of that (there are four, and I didn't bother to type in most of the animal names I already knew).

Just hit 2100 in Remembering the Hanzi. A page a day is indeed pretty rough... reviews in the last two days have been over 80, urk. I forgot to see what it said the # tomorrow will be when I finished. Really I wish I remembered them better on any given Day 2 after learning, I usually get about none of them. It's odd how I can do much better with recognizing characters from Chinesepod stuff on Day 2 than producing them - I would imagine them to be a bit better but it is something like 75% of Chinesepod remembered on that second day versus none or maybe one if I am lucky on the Remembering the Hanzi. I guess my stories are just terrible. :P

The CD of nothing but Chinesepod dialogs has looped around at least four times in my car since I started listening to it. Pretty sure that any given one that comes on I know what they are talking about at least, and any I have shadowed I definitely know - yet more reason to catch up on that... I think part of the reason I am so far behind on shadowing is I don't have it in Anki nagging me to finish it each day. I have to put it on my calendar or something I guess.

Despite my lack of NPCR or reading, I have noticed the flood of elementary Chinesepod lessons I am going through becoming much much easier to comprehend when I add 'em to the sentence deck, so I don't feel too terrible about neglecting grammar at the moment. Shadowing up to at least 60% of my Chinesepod lessons is now my top priority.

Edited by proudft on 30 January 2013 at 9:42am

proudft
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 19 of 111
02 February 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
I finally did the upgrade to Anki 2 since the syncing for Old Anki is going to be shut down in a couple of days. Migrating my decks over took a while, but on the bright side I was able to strip out all the duplicate words. There were 130 of 'em! I gave Chinesepod the priority since I have those all numbered in a spreadsheet, but now I can just highlight the three word decks in Anki and instantly see that I know 2940 words, kinda neat.

Back to my decks for tonight, not done yet.

proudft
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 20 of 111
09 February 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Well, for whatever reason, I've been swamped this week with various things. I skipped a few days of adding new stuff... let's see the damage:

Current Chinesepod lessons:
Words: 216
Sentences: 190
Shadowing: 93

Remembering the Hanzi: 2135
Total Words: 3058

OK, it's not too bad; +118 words in a week like this is still acceptable to me. I was mentally constructing some sentences when I got a chance here and there and I think my working vocabulary is filling in pretty well. Just random stuff, but it's encouraging. I made some small progress in NPCR, about half of the next lesson. Gonna try to break my usual habit of resting a bit on the weekends and make up some of where I fell behind this week.

proudft
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 21 of 111
12 February 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Six more Chinesepod lessons down over the weekend, and about to do three today. Contiuning that 2:1 elementary:intermediate ratio, though the new words on elementary lessons are getting pretty scarce.

I finished farms & farm-related stuff in the Visual Dictionary, but I'm going to give that a rest for a bit. I've been doing my Chinesepod sentences in Anki a lot slower lately, to make sure I really know the meaning of each one, since I think grammar right now instead of vocabulary is more urgent.

I also managed to do something that was allegedly impossible, and that is get the Taiwan-version of a popular game that rhymes with Merld of Moorcraft working on the US Servers. So, hanzi (albeit traditional), sound, etc, everything is in Chinese.

I had popped on the Taiwan servers on a trial account about six months back but (a) I kinda missed having my old friends/characters around and (b) I couldn't read ANYTHING. Getting on my 'own' server was something I really wished was possible but the customer service people were all NOPE SORRY IMPOSSIBLE CANNOT BE DONE.

I gave it another whirl today, though, working out how to do it from other people who had been trying to do the opposite, basically. ('I want to run the English version in Taiwan'). So that's pretty cool, I might reactivate my account that has been dormant for.... a long time. I can ALMOST read stuff in the game, it's kinda neat. I think going from simplified->traditional looks like it will not be nearly the pain of learning them in the first place; I already recognize several dozen just from context. So that looks promising for some fun, as long as I don't overdo it. :P

proudft
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 22 of 111
13 February 2013 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Who wants a story?
Me reading.

Edited by proudft on 13 February 2013 at 1:40am

3 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4319 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer

Message 23 of 111
13 February 2013 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
proudft wrote:

I also managed to do something that was allegedly impossible, and that is get the Taiwan-version of a popular
game that rhymes with Merld of Moorcraft working on the US Servers. So, hanzi (albeit traditional), sound, etc,
everything is in Chinese.

I had popped on the Taiwan servers on a trial account about six months back but (a) I kinda missed having my old
friends/characters around and (b) I couldn't read ANYTHING. Getting on my 'own' server was something I really
wished was possible but the customer service people were all NOPE SORRY IMPOSSIBLE CANNOT BE DONE.

I gave it another whirl today, though, working out how to do it from other people who had been trying to do the
opposite, basically. ('I want to run the English version in Taiwan'). So that's pretty cool, I might reactivate my
account that has been dormant for.... a long time. I can ALMOST read stuff in the game, it's kinda neat. I think
going from simplified->traditional looks like it will not be nearly the pain of learning them in the first place; I
already recognize several dozen just from context. So that looks promising for some fun, as long as I don't overdo
it. :P

Super cool! How did you manage to do this? My only worry with copying you is that my language learning time will
be ruined by my raiding time!

proudft
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 

Message 24 of 111
13 February 2013 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
I'll send you a PM, if it's a loophole I don't want it closed. :P

This discussion contains 111 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version