United States
Joined 4301 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*, Estonian*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 1 of 7
09 December 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

This is my first time doing TAC and I'm pretty excited about it. Though I'm terribly tempted to add
Russian, I'm going to hold off on that 'till next year. For this year, I'll be doing Spanish and German with
the Romance and Germanic teams.

A bit about myself: I'm currently entering my last semester as a graduate student, so I struggle to have
time for extra studying, but I tend to make an exception for language study. I've been studying Spanish
for about 1.5 years, off and on. I would say I'm roughly low-intermediate. I can have basic conversations,
but my vocabulary isn't particularly impressive yet, and I still struggle with some irregular verbs and the
subjunctive. Fortunately, I'm about to get some great practice in the form of a 1 month trip to Ecuador,
starting in just over a week. So far I have been using a mix of Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, and Assimil. What
I'll be doing, starting in 2013, is going through the FSI Platiquemos series. I've heard it's intense, and
often quite boring, but I'm excited to take on a solid and thorough method.

In German, I'm probably an advanced beginner.. I've technically had 10 years of classroom instruction,
but I never learned much of anything. I suppose it wasn't all a waste of time though, since I have more of
an ear for the language now and will likely pick up certain things faster. I plan on starting in mid-January
by going through the Michel Thomas method. I have the foundation, advanced, and vocabulary builder
recordings, so I will start there.. After finishing Michel Thomas, I will switch to Assimil and Pimsleur.
While working on Assimil, I'll make vocab and sentence cards in Anki for studying.
For additional audio input in both German and Spanish, I'll listen to radio stations in those languages.

To sum up...
SPANISH (low-intermediate): Review Assimil and Michel Thomas-> Platiquemos + Anki

Anyone on either the Germanic or Romance languages teams, please feel free to post here and get in
touch. A little encouragement and teamwork goes a long way. I'd be happy to exchange skype info as
well.

Edited by joshkaasik on 01 January 2013 at 5:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5874 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
09 December 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
EDIT

OMG, how embarrassing! (#^-^#) Well, I'll be back to see how you're doin' anyway! Good luck^^

Edited by Sunja on 09 December 2012 at 6:22pm

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4301 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 

Message 3 of 7
09 December 2012 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Hi,

thanks joshkaasik for starting a team log! I'm looking forward to this year's TAC. I'm working on
improving my German. I've been here for about 12 years -yikes, it's been that long- and I can do
alright in German but there's a bit of rust building so it's time to get it cleaned up. I've just started an
online course that will take about a year to complete and that will definitely keep me on my toes.

My
old log from 2012
(just skip over the front part..)

French will be mixed in for good measure. I'm still hanging on at lower intermediate (maybe even
beginner, I've never been tested..)

Hey! I wasn't actually starting a team log.. It's a personal log, BUT if you want, I can go ahead and start
the team log as well! =) I'm a rookie to TAC, though, so I won't have much to contribute to log at the
beginning.

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4301 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 

Message 4 of 7
09 December 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
EDIT

OMG, how embarrassing! (#^-^#) Well, I'll be back to see how you're doin' anyway! Good luck^^

Haha, no need to be embarrassed.. it's my fault for being too new to this to know how to name/tag
properly :D

Jax
Diglot
United States
Joined 4160 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 5 of 7
02 January 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Hey!

Good to see someone else (in the same teams!) tackling both Spanish and German. I wish you luck for the
new year and it will be interesting to see our progress!

Jax.

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4135 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Sign Language
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 7
04 January 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Howdy! Fellow Romulus teammate here dropping by to say hi. How did your trip to Ecuador
go?

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 7 of 7
14 January 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Schnitzel teammate here to wish you well with your studies. Spanish and German are both great languages. Enjoy!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version