74 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 9 10 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 41 of 74
16 June 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I've allowed myself to correct your piece.

Mam na imię Fuenf_Katzen. Mam 26 lat i jestEM prawnikiem. Mieszkam i pracuję w Pittsburgh i mam pięć kotów, Clarę Tessie [if it's a pussy; if it's a tomcat then it should be: "Clare Tessiego" ], Berta, Erniego i Beatę. Moja rodzina jest mała. Mieszkają w Filadelfii. Moja mama ma na imię D. Ma 58 lat i jest robotnikiem. Pracuje w supermarketecie. Interesuje się literaturą i bardzo lubi romantyczne książki. Jej mama, moja babcia, ma na imię J, ma 91 lat i jest emerytką. Jej tata nie żyje.

Mój tata ma na imię T. Ma 62 lata i jest kierowcą. Interesuje się samochodami i filmami zagranicznymi, ale nie lubi czytać. Jego rodzice mają na imię T i W, ale(,) niestety(,) nie żyją.

Mam też brata i siostrę. Moja siostra ma na imię C, ma 25 lat i jest urzędniczką. Pracuje w szpitalu. Lubi podróżować, ale(,) niestety(,) nie może. Mój brat ma na imię T. Ma 16 lat i jest uczniem. Lubi muzykę popularną i filmy.

Jestem = I am
Jest = he/she/it is
Actually it should probably be "mieszka w Filadelfii" (singular), but "mieszkają w Filadelfii" sounds OK too.
In Polish we don't use a comma before the "i", unless we count: i THIS, i THIS, i THAT. Also, we avoid using the unless we point out something, for example: "no tak, ona ma siłę" (well, yeah, she's got the power).
Do you mean that your mother is a physical worker in the supermarket? If she's working with a cash register, I'd say: "i jest sprzedawcą" (a seller).
Interesuje się = She's interested in literature.
Probably even better than "lubi romantyczne książki" will be "lubi romanse" (she likes romances) since the adjective "romantyczny" is probably more often used, when we describe persons, situations or gestures ("it was so romantic!").
In this case "zagraniczny" will be better than "obcy" - "obcy" would mean here that your father likes, for example, films of his friend. Or films that are so alien for him that it takes a while to understand them. (Well, at least I think like that :P )
You can also say: interesuje się zagraniczną kinematografia (he's interested in a foreign cinematography)
I've put some commas in brackets since in the last 10-20 years there is a tendency to avoid the superflous commas as much as it's possible.

Edited by prz_ on 16 June 2013 at 10:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4163 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 42 of 74
16 June 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the corrections! It's really helpful for me to see what sounds more natural. I have a tendency to enjoy (over)using commas; it wouldn't take much effort to write one sentence taking up half a page by using commas and semicolons. Thanks again for the help! I should probably do this for every writing assignment I have.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 43 of 74
16 June 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
No problem, I really like to help the others :) Just mind the fact that I don't have any serious experience with teaching foreigners. And I had some Polish grammar lectures at my studies, but well, they were not serious enough. All I can say is how I feel the language, but, you know, everyone has it's own idiolect :) I have a tendency to use extremely long sentences, as well as I have a sentiment to the old school of loads of commas etc. :)

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4163 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 

Message 44 of 74
17 June 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I gave my presentation today (with the corrections Prz gave, which really impressed my teacher!). It was really the first time I've spoken Polish for any length of time. It only lasted about 2-3 minutes, but for a beginner that 2-3 minutes is a great amount of time.

In the afternoon we had to do an exercise where we described pictures. That was HARD for me. If I had to write it, it would have been much easier. This is something I probably wouldn't have done on my own until much later when I had more of a vocabulary, but I'm glad I was able to try speaking now.

We're very quickly transitioning into a speak Polish only class. I found myself writing down my teacher's Polish responses thinking I would probably need to remember them in the very near future. Despite my initial disdain for beginner classes being taught completely in the target language, I'm actually looking forward to it. Because she's using more Polish, I have to think in Polish, which keeps the language interference from German to a minimum. I'm hoping that my very uncomfortable switching between the two will stop once we have the whole class taught in Polish.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 45 of 74
18 June 2013 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
I'm glad I could help ;)

Życzę powodzenia; widzę, że jesteś na dobrej drodze :)

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4163 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 

Message 46 of 74
19 June 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Just when I think I'm starting to know all of those numbers, we have to learn 200-1000. There are some great tongue-twisters with that set!

I realized that I'm at roughly the half-way point in class. Here's what we've learned so far:

Three genders with noun/adjective agreements
Numbers 1-1000
Three cases with singular and plural
Possessive/demonstrative/personal pronouns for three cases
Present tense conjugations
Introductions of ourselves and others
Professions and occupations
Hobbies
Members of the family
How to order food and count money

Whew! That's actually quite a lot for three weeks! Next up on the agenda is past and future tense and genitive case.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5899 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 47 of 74
20 June 2013 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
That's an intense few weeks - I hope you have opportunities to put your brain on ice, and relax a bit.
How does concentrated class learning compare with self-study?

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 48 of 74
20 June 2013 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it's that much, it's just the grammar that can make you scared, but don't give up :)

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version