FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4163 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 1 of 53
09 December 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Hello all!

After reading the HTLAL forum for, oh, four or so years, I've finally decided to register and try to give back.

I'll be participating in TAC 2013 on the Germanic and Celtic teams, studying German and Breton.

German

I studied German for four years in school and learned quite a bit (mostly because I knew even then the
importance of self-study, immersion, etc.). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to include German in my courseload
during uni and couldn't seem to find the time to study on my own. I did continue watching German tv that I could
find as part of what I called "productive procrastination." Now, I'm living quite close to the German border and am
excited to restart my German. During the dark years for Deutsch, I did occasionally try my hand at speaking with
Germans/Austrians that I met to varying success. Any success I had, however, was thanks to my general
fearlessness in trying to speak a language. It's the best way to learn!

Anyhoo... my German level is pretty much an A2 across the board, except my reading is probably a B1. My
listening is also likely a high A2. I'm preparing to talk about two texts concerning Human Rights with a German
professor in January, so I will be focusing on German in particular the coming weeks.

I'm currently reading 24 Stunden aus dem Leben einer Frau by Stefan Zweig (in a dual-text French-German
version), using the Nouvelle grammaire appliquée de l'allemand, watching German tv (links to follow),
speaking with German friends and going across the border to Germany and Switzerland for limited practice.
Unfortunately, the only day I really have free is Sunday which is not exactly the best day for finding people to talk
to. I'm also reading the two texts about Religionsfreiheit (Religious freedom) and Menschenwürde (human
dignity). Wünschen Sie mir bitte Glück! I've also been listening to the audio from Perfectionnement allemand.
I left the book at my parent's and won't be able to get it until Christmas.

German tv links (these are German links and work in France, so presumably at least in the rest of Europe):
Das Erste (I particularly recommend Tatort, there's a new episode every week from a different city in Germany/Austria/Switzerland)
RTL (Some are free, some aren't. In uni, I used to watch Alles was zählt, which is horribly embarrassing, but there are so many of them! I really like Doctors Diary)
WDR

TAC 2013 German Team

Breton

Ahhh, Breton. I had the great fortune of being placed in Brittany last year to teach English. I had hoped to be
placed there for the Breton culture. When I was 8-11, I taught myself quite a bit of Welsh, even going so far as to
have a website about it. Mercifully, that site is now gone along with all of geocities. Even though I had forgotten
almost all of my Welsh, it still helped me in learning Breton.

I started taking classes right after my arrival. The rest of the students had been learning for at least a year, all of
them were heritage speakers. We used Ni a gomz brezhoneg and various texts that teacher found (including
a lot of bandes dessinées, a crime novel and, the strangest one of all, an article about protesting a nuclear power
plant). I also took Breton dance classes where I also had the opportunity to butcher the Breton language. I was in
a small town and became very attached to the Breton community there. Most of the Breton I heard was gwenedeg
(vannetais).

Sadly for my Breton, I then decided to move across the country to start a Masters. I went to visit my friends there
and dance at a fest-noz (Breton dance party, can't recommend it enough) after six months without speaking and
was pleased to dicover I could still understand a fair bit. I'm planning on returning to Brittany for the Festival
Interceltique in August 2013 and would really like to have a functional Breton by that time so I can really take
advantage of all the festival has to offer.

To accomplish this I will be:
-going through the (new) Assimil Breton sans peine
-using the audio from Ni a gomz brezhoneg, Colloquial Breton
-listening to Breton podcasts
-listening to Breton music and trying to parse the words
-watching some Breton tv when I have time
-sending some emails in Breton to friends.

Breton links:
Video:
France3Breizh (I don't know if this will work outside of France)
More Breton tv (This 2min show teaches new vocab
everyday, bemdez.
Spot o kousket e ti ur mignon
Un dilhad marc'hatmat (a 30 min play)

Audio
Radiobreizh
Cours de breton avec Albert
Radio program about gardening
Radio program that interviews children/teachers at bilingual/all-Breton schools
A LOT of recordings of Breton speakers (presenting themselves, telling stories, describing their surroundings)
A spoken "dictionary" (first you choose a region, then you choose a word, offerings are limited, but it's good to see the variety in dialects)

Text or Text+Audio
In case you somehow missed it, Kervarker
An all-Breton blog (earlier entries come with audio)
Another all-Breton blog
A page for gwenedeg
French-Breton phrasebook for "faire la fête"

Misc.
A Breton --> French translator

I'm currently headed into finals, so I don't know how much I will be able to accomplish before the holidays, but
I'm excited to start in earnest in 2013! On the other hand, I should be studying for an exam tomorrow and am
writing here so perhaps you should expect great activity from me?

Pokoù

Edited by Maïwenn on 28 January 2013 at 12:53am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 53
09 December 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links, I can use them. I am studying Breton too, although less
intensively. I am just using the Assimil, and I have a grammar and a Vannetais dialect
dictionary.

Good luck with Breton!

Trugarez!
1 person has voted this message useful

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4163 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 

Message 3 of 53
09 December 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Salud dit!

I saw that you were also studying Breton. I have been following the Assimil Experiment thread and was happy to
see you've joined the TAC Celtic team! With regards to intensity, to be fair... this is what I'm saying now. I haven't
yet figured out the frequency with which I'll be using any of the materials, aside from assimil which will be daily.

Speaking of daily, I forgot to link to bemdez which emails a Breton phrase everyday with a mini-lesson (or two, if
you sign up for both): http://bemdez.free.fr/tdc/tlgen7.php?ppage=107

Oh my goodness, you're using a Vannetais dictionary? Those are hard to come by! :) Even though I am partial to
Vannetais, I can see how that might be difficult when using a KLT program.

I wish I hadn't forgotten so much so that I might be helpful to you right now. Just the same, if you have any
questions, I can pass them on to friends.

Nann, merci bras/trugarez dit!! Your assimil experiment inspired me to make a greater effort with
brezhoneg in 2013!

Kenavo!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 53
09 December 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, if you can get me a better one, please set me up with one; I bought it locally in
Brest. :)

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4163 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 

Message 5 of 53
09 December 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
haha gwelet o vo. I have a dictionary I really like, though I haven't put it to any great tests: http://www.coop-
breizh.fr/livres-3/livres-3/dictionnaire-breton-geriadur-308 /dictionnaire-geriadur-f-b-petit-bleu-1370/zoom-
fr.htm This is the dictionary my teacher had: http://www.coop-breizh.fr/livres-3/livres-3/dictionnaire-bre ton-
geriadur-308/dictionnaire-compact-breton-contemporain-2362/z oom-fr.htm

Sadly (but unsurprisingly), online Breton dictionaries are fairly lacking. I imagine you've already seen this, but just in
case, a Breton-Dutch dictionary: http://brezhoneg.org.uk/deloof/

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 6 of 53
09 December 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Haha, thanks for the tip. I am perfectly okay using English (or even French), though, I
have spoken English since childhood so I don't really treat it as a foreign language (I
use plenty of translations to and from English without trouble).

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4398 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 53
09 December 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
I'm very happy to see that the Celtic team has taken shape! I'm very interested in
Breton, and I'll be starting German in the coming year. Needless to say I'll be following
your log with interest!

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4163 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 

Message 8 of 53
09 December 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos, I certainly didn't mean to imply anything about your French/English, just found it when looking at Breton
links. Sadly, I can't speak Dutch, so it's not yet of use to me. :) It has over 5 times the number of entries that my own
dictionary has! I'm not sure if that says more about my dictionary or the Dutch one. It has nearly as many entries as
my French-French desk dictionary.

@liammcg, excellent!! It will be interesting to see how our team works out.

@tarvos & @liammcg, I suppose we should start a Team Celtic thread? I know it's for "2013," but....

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version