Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4162 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 49 of 53
20 March 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
hahaha Teango, I'm impressed!! I will have to attempt reading some Irish now. :)

I'm ashamed to say that I've gotten very little done with Breton since my last post. :/ I've had visitors pretty much
constantly the last couple weeks on top of schoolwork. Next week, once everyone is back across the
Atlantic/elsewhere, I will rededicate myself to all my languages. The only language I've practiced is German and
that's just because of German friends/shopping trips across the border. Gott sei Dank for that.

And thank you as always Josquin!! Having done corrections for people's English writing, I am seriously in awe of
your helpfulness. You definitely deserve all of the votes you've gotten. :)

Consider me a thoroughly ashamed htlal-er.
1 person has voted this message useful

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4162 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 

Message 50 of 53
31 March 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Long weekend! So I took a day trip to Basel yesterday and rekickstarted Breton.

Brezhoneg
Today, I finally got around to attempting to read an article in Breton from the newspaper ya! (it can also be
found here and listened two a
couple episodes of An Abadenn. I was quite excited listening to An Abadenn because I was able to pick out
several words AND there was a call-in from a student of the school where I taught last year. Chances are, she was
in one
of my classes. (By the way, I'm still kicking myself for not asking if I could sit in on the Breton-language classes in
which math and history were taught in Breton. Though, on second thought, that may have been more of a
distraction to the class than of benefit to me.) Reading the article added sixty new words to my Breton vocab-to-
learn list.

April plans:
Listen to 1 An Abadenn/week.
Start using Assimil again.
Write another letter to a Breton friend.

Deutsch

I've been acting as "interpreter" for friends when in Germany and Switzerland, though my level really should not
allow me to claim that title. I continue to butcher German. I have yet to find a grammar-oriented book that allows
me to fix the basics without making me feel like I'm wasting my time. I know that a lot of contact with the
language should fix most things "naturally," but a little (a lot of) extra help wouldn't hurt.

Funny story, a few weeks ago, a friend bought some fake flowers from a discount store only to discover later that
they were faulty (surprise!), so she asked me to go back to the story and ask to return the product. We go back to
the store and I try to figure out how to say reimburse, finally I decide on saying exchange for money as I know
the word umtauschen. I get up to the clerk and say that the flowers are no longer good and could we exchange
them
for... at which point I momentarily forget how to say money and say Monat. The clerk looks at me, I look at
the clerk and then finally remember, face reddening, "ah... um... Geld?" In the end, my friend got her money and
I got embarrassed. :) Fortunately, this sort of thing doesn't deter me from speaking, it just reminds me how very,
very, very, very much I have to learn.

April plans:
Writing practice.
Choose a grammar book and use it.
More reading. I want to tackle Siddhartha ohne Übersetzung, but I will first read Georg Büchner's (very short)
play Woyzeck.
Remember the word for money.

中文
Because I've had to return the Assimil Chinois sans peine to the library, I'm switching to FSI. I'll still be using
Assimil when I can at the university and will return to it if it becomes available again or I break down and buy it.

April plans:
More pronunciation practice.
Attend ateliers.
Find something to listen to.
Do whatever it ends up being that I have to do to validate my language requirement for the semester.

Wishing you all all the best!

Edited by Maïwenn on 31 March 2013 at 6:34pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 51 of 53
31 March 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
About the German, sometimes you forget a word. It happens to everybody. I could probably
forget tons of easy words in German, the question is whether you can backtrack smoothly
and interlocute around it a bit and you'll be fine :) It doesn't really mean that much to
forget a word.

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4162 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 

Message 52 of 53
07 April 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 

I went to a Chinese atelier last week and the professor suggested I attend the A1/2 session instead of beginners'.
So I did, and it went quite well! The professor in A1/A2 had us pull out words from a bag and construct cohesive
statements about them. I managed to make something including the words shirt, law (法 which is also the start of
France/French), verb, noun, can, but and... something else. If I ever end up teaching a class again, I'll definitely
be trying out that activity (though I think it's a bit more interesting in Chinese, given how words are composed).

我看一部台湾的电视剧。
有两个女人。 一个叫金大花。金小姐不漂亮。 别女人叫杜亮妍。 她很很漂亮。 怎么漂亮!美女家有钱。 她的男朋友家也有
钱, 可是金家没有钱。 金爸爸喜欢博弈。 美女在医院,他男朋友不会说她在医院。所以 怎么办?他问金小姐为杜小姐一年。
有整容。 杜家不知道杜小姐在医院。 他们想金小姐是杜小姐。 金小姐不会跟她的朋友说。杜小姐死了。

I've been watching a Taiwanese drama. I've been pleased by the amount I've been able to pick out. Still very, very,
very much need the subtitles (obviously), but it's a fun way to discover words I used to know and learn new
ones/phrases.

brezhoneg

Assimil Lesson 40. Listening to all the assimil audio on errands.
Watching Ken Tuch' .

Deutsch

Finally settled on Living Language's German Beyond the Basics for grammar review. Currently doing a lesson a
day (will probably slow down a bit soon).
Halfway through Woyzeck.
Watching German-dubbed shows whenever possible.

Spring seems to be finally on its way! Happy April to all!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 53 of 53
16 December 2013 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Demad Maïwenn! How did you get on with Breton Assimil by the end of the year? (lesson 40 already sounds pretty good to me) Wishing you all the best in your plans for 2014!

Edited by Teango on 16 December 2013 at 6:26am

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version