Triglot
Poland
Joined 4926 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 9 of 35
06 January 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Your goals are impressive. If you had any problems with Polish PM me.
Pob lwc
1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 10 of 35
08 January 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Based on Serpents suggestion, I'll join in Reineke's 100 challenge for TAC 2013. It's hard to decide what 100 to pick as I use a lot of different techniques, methods and courses. The one common thread I have across my learning is the amount of courses I work through. Therefore I'll challenge myself as follows,

Romance: 100 units\lessons
Slavic: 100 units\lessons
Finno-Ugric:100 units\lessons
Celtic: 100 units\lessons

Depending on the course a unit typically consists of a lesson with some associated exercises. The size of a unit can vary from the small such as Assimil, to larger courses such as Vite et Bien 2, and finally to the extremely large like Modern Russian 1 or Schenkers Beginning Polish. I would regard the typical Teach Yourself course lesson as a unit. My primary challenge will remain the time based challenge, as this allows more learning strategies to be used (L-R, Word Lists, etc), but I'll see how Reineke's works in the mix.

Study since 01/01/2012

Romance: 2 units (Vite et Bien 2, Vocabulaire Expliqué du Français - Niveau Débutant)

Time Spent

Romance: 17 hours (Spanish-7,French-10)
Slavic: 0.5 hours (Russian)
Celtic: 0.25 hours (Irish)

Edited by DaraghM on 08 January 2013 at 5:09pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 11 of 35
24 January 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes I find it hard to update my log, not from a lack of study, but more from a lack of time. Does anyone else feel the forum slows down just as you're about to give an update ? It's probably just a perception.

My trip to Spain was a real booster for my practical languages skills. Even if your language skills are low, as soon as you start speaking any Spanish, the people will happily switch to using that language exclusively. This wasn't a problem for me, but it posed a challenge for my wife who's around a low B1. Her passive skills would be higher as she's a C2 in French, and can get most of the cognates with Spanish.

Prior to my trip, I studied Spanish by reading a lot of native materials, and watching EuroNews in Spanish. I really wish our cable provider would carry proper Spanish channels. Apart from that I used the course "Uso interactivo de vocabulario B2-C2". The course isn't designed to teach every word needed at C2, but to provide a lot of terms and expressions, to enrich your spoken and written language. It reminds me a lot of English classes from school where you were told not to use the word "said", but words like exclaimed, declared, etc.

My study at the moment has returned to French, but curiousity has caused me to look at some Italian as well.

Study since 01/01/2012

Romance: 5 units (Spanish +1, French +2)

Time Spent

Romance: 64 hours (Spanish-45,French-18,Italian-0.5)
Slavic: 0.75 hours (Russian)
Celtic: 0.5 hours (Irish)

Edited by DaraghM on 24 January 2013 at 4:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 12 of 35
24 January 2013 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Sometimes I find it hard to update my log, not from a lack of study, but more from a lack of time. Does anyone else feel the forum slows down just as you're about to give an update ? It's probably just a perception.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's a perception as I have had the same problem. I love the forum, but don't always have time wait to update my log or comment on a discussion thread.

I kind of know what you mean about proper Spanish channels. I get Univision and Azteca, but I think they are based in the US so the news is US news. It was good to watch the US news in Spanish a few years ago to test my listening comprehension, now it just seems pointless for me to watch what is basically the same thing twice.

Glad to read that your trip to Spain went well. I hope to get to Mexico or Spain fairly soon because that might be just what I need to get more comfortable actually speaking Spanish.

Edited by mick33 on 15 August 2013 at 9:06am

2 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 13 of 35
01 February 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Taking a leaf from LanguageSponge's log, I'll state my January 2013 goals.

French: Complete 3 more chapters of Vite et Bien 2. Use other resources as needed.

Spanish: Using a wide variety of resources, study at least 30 hours of Spanish. I'm heading to Spain on the 18th, so I'd like to maintain the language around mid-B2.

Russian: Read some Russian each week in January. I'll increase my Russian study in the coming months.

Irish: Watch at least one Irish language program a week. E.g. Nuacht.

Hungarian: If I get to do any Hungarian in January, this will be a bonus.

So how did January work out.

French: I didn't manage to complete 3 more chapters of Vite et Bien2. I completed two, but moved onto Russian earlier than planned.

Spanish: I ended up doing about 45 hours of Spanish, which was well ahead of target.

Russian: I picked up Modern Russian 1 again, and I also started the Assimil Russian course. I've had the Assimil course nearly a year, but I'm only starting it now.

Irish: Apart from watching a couple of programs a week, I also found myself flicking through various Irish grammar books.

Hungarian: Most of the Hungarian I read was on this forum. I did have a quick look through Hallo, Itt Magyarország.

I've decided not to set a February challenge as I like to have the freedom to switch my study plans. Maybe I'll do it again in March.

Study since 01/01/2012

Lessons challenge

Romance: 9 units (French +4)
Slavic: 3 units (Russian +3)

Time Spent since 01/01/2013

Romance: 80 hours (Spanish-45,French-33,Italian-1.5)
Slavic: 11 hours (Russian)
Celtic: 1.5 hours (Irish)

Total:- 92 hours

Edited by DaraghM on 01 February 2013 at 12:40pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 14 of 35
15 February 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
At the moment my forum time is extremely limited. My study for February has been much more varied than previous months. I'm slowed down on French as my other languages have taken over. For Russian, I'm using a combination of Assimil, Colloquial Russian, TY Russian and Modern Russian 1. I didn't get to revisit the old, but good, Linguaphone Russian course yet. I'm not a huge fan of Colloquial or Teach Yourself, but they're modern courses, with up to date vocabulary. The Assimil course is good, but the audio is painfully slow. I think the Assimil course would be hard if you weren't familiar with Russian. They introduce some vocabulary conjugated by case, but don't explain that it is. E.g. на диете - on a diet. Unless the learner knows the prepositional case they might think that diet was диете and not диета.

I've also dabbled in Schenkers Beginning Polish, listening to the first lesson several times. The amount of audio with this course is huge. The first lesson alone is 45 minutes long. For Hungarian, I've properly started into Halló Itt magyarország. This is a very good course but the audio quality is quite poor. The course is written entirely in Hungarian and is intended for classroom study. However, there's an associated teachers book that gives the answers, and some vocabulary translated into German, French, Italian and English. I found the vocabulary list distracting as I played a multilingual game using it.

Study since 01/01/2012

Lessons challenge

Romance: 11 units (French +2)
Slavic: 5 units (Russian +2)
Hungarian: 2 units

Romance: 99 hours (Spanish-46,French-51,Italian-1.5)
Slavic: 23 hours (Russian-21, Polish-2)
Celtic: 2 hours (Irish)

Total:- 127 hours

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5951 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 

Message 15 of 35
08 March 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Just a very quick update to say my study is still happening, but unfortunately, at a slower rate than planned. I ended up going on a work training programme which limited my normal study time, and also my commute study time. Thankfully it's over, but I lost track of my calculations and need to rebuild them for the intervening period. I'm pretty sure I've missed out on either time studied or lessons completed.

The majority language for the past three weeks has been Irish. I started with Buntús Cainte but this soon became too easy. It seems all my previous Irish has started flooding back, and very quickly too. I've also used Learning Irish but I'm not enamoured by the format. It's quite sterile, and the vocabulary taught is closer to the useless vocabulary you're made learn in school. I didn't realise it was originally published in 1980. This may explain the poor quality of the recordings. The course I'm really enjoying is Turus Teanga. The course says it's aimed at those who already know a good deal of the language. I hadn't placed myself in that category initially, but I've come to realise I am. I also purchased, and been reading, a copy of "An Caighdeán Oifigiúil'. This is the official definition of the Irish language written in Irish. It's quite readable and nicely formatted.I've just discovered it's available for free on our governments website, http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/michelle/Final-Ver sion.pdf

Study since 01/01/2012

Lessons challenge

Romance: 17 units (French +6)
Slavic: 6 units (Russian +1)
Hungarian: 2 units

Romance: 122 hours (Spanish-47,French-73,Italian-1.8)
Slavic: 32 hours (Russian-30, Polish-2)
Celtic: 20 hours (Irish)

Total:- 178 hours

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5356 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 16 of 35
16 March 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that pdf link to the government's official standard for Irish. It looks very comprehensive!

I brought Buntús Cainte and Turas Teanga with me as well, as I really like the format for both (very different from each other, as they are). I'm still a wandering beginner really and quite happy with Buntús Cainte's fun and often politically curious little pictures; Turas Teanga will be for a later date when I hopefully reach a better level. :)

I notice the same thing about HTLAL slowing down when I'm doing my updates too. However, in all fairness, I live on the opposite side of the world to the servers and my posts are most likely trying to get through whilst the system is backing up (or taking a cat nap).

Edited by Teango on 16 March 2013 at 12:46am

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version