France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 65 of 99
10 December 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Don't worry about forgetting things. You'll be back in shape in no time and you can count on my help.

As for chess, great win! I love chess, as horrible a player as I am. Magnus is truly magnus!

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope there will be a functioning TAC group in Greek next year. I think at the end the Sparta team didn't really function too well, and we ended up more or less as individual participants.

I am a pretty bad chess player myself, I even get beaten by my 10-year old son on a regular basis (fortunately I do win against him as well). But for me it is really about playing, having a good time, and trying to learn from the horrible mistakes I sometimes commit.
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 66 of 99
10 December 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
I have volunteered to be a godmother if there is a team. Even if there isn't I'll help anyway. I'm sorry team Sparta didn't fly.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 67 of 99
10 December 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim, you are my hero! You have made more progress in one year than I have done in 5 years :-) And I am
also sorry the team Sparta fell apart. Too much life that got in the way for several of us I am afraid.

But 2014 is a new and shiny year :-)

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 68 of 99
10 December 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi Solfrid Cristina. Thank you but I do not feel like a hero. And I am sure you speak at least as well as me, if
not better. I am sort of good at understanding and writing but my speaking skills stink... That is really what I
need to work on.

I see you are not doing Greek next year. Too bad but I understand. Yes, team Sparta suffered som losses
early on, including our captain Languagesponge,whom I haven't seen here for a long time.

Let's hope 2014 will be a great language learning year.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 69 of 99
20 December 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Some people here are very good at keeping a detailed log quantifying their learning, whether it is hours spent, number of pages/books read, number of films seen etc. It is certainly a good way of keeping track of your progress and evaluate if you reach your goals. Personally I am pretty bad at it, and this log is a proof of that. However, as we are coming towards the end of the year, and I will probably not be able to post much over the next week, I have tried to make a recap. Of course this is more of an estimate, I might have forgotten something and I may have slightly overestimated other things, like time spent on listening. In any case, this is my honest recollection of my work on Greek and Russian this year:
Greek:
- I have done Assimil, lessons 1 to 24. I gave up on Assimil early on as I found it boring and uninspiring.
- Langenscheidt's Griechisch mit System: All lessons up to 11 (there are 15 in total). Most of the grammar and translation exercises done.
- Audio: Listened several times (average of 10 times) to the audio of each of the 11 lessons in Langenscheidt. Done some shadowing.
- Talking: Less than an hour. A few sentences when visiting Crete this summer.
- Level reached: A shaky A1. I have hardly touched any Greek since September, so a refresher is really necessary in order to go further.
Conclusion: Not really reached my goal for 2014, but could have been worse.

Russian:
- Colloquial Russian 1: Finished the course with lessons 8 to 15 and completed written exercises.
- Colloquial Russian 2: Done lessons 1 to 10, concentrating on vocabulary and selected grammar points (verbs of movement, certain prepositions, irregular noun declensions etc.)
- Assimil: Done up to lesson 80. I use it primarily for listening/shadowing and vocabulary.
- Okno: This is the course book we use in my Russian class, it is a German-based method. We have worked through lessons 5 and 6, which focus very much on talking about yourself and your interests, what you do in different holidays, the days of the week and the months of the year, expressing time, movement, position with different prepositions and cases etc. Lot of related exercises given as photocopies by the teacher, from an old Soviet-style course (don't know the name.)
- Read numerous articles in Russian from internet sites. Started on a Russian novel, Москва, я не люблю тебя. Only read three pages so far, it goes very slowly as I need to look up a lot of words. I hope to advance during the Christmas holidays.
- Watched maybe a total of 30 hours of TV and videoclips in Russian (a very rough estimate, could be more).
- Talking: In my Russian class, obviously, on my trip to Kiev and very occasionally with a Russian colleague of mine. However, as we mostly talk business, we quickly turn into English given my very basic speaking skills.

Conclusion: A partly satisfactory year, not least the autumn has been very productive and I think I have almost reached my goals, at least I have got confirmed that I am at a good A2 level now, so this is a good basis to work on for next year.
I'll probably not post more this year, so I'll come back in 2014. I will continue to use this log for TAC2014 as well.

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 70 of 99
20 December 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Well done Ogrim. :)

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4392 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 71 of 99
20 December 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Great job, Ogrim. I look forward to following your 2014 log.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 72 of 99
20 December 2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Nice! Here's to even more progress in 2014!

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version