France
Joined 4417 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 17 of 99
04 January 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have printed out the article, and will bring it home to read over the week end - I am excited to see whether I will actually be able to read native material (probably not :-( But it is worth a try. I love being on a Greek team where I get extra Russian material!!!

"Eg juksa litegrann". I had actually read the letter in French first in a French newspaper, so that helped me understand a lot - then I guessed the meaning of a few words, and looked up quite a few in a dictionary as well. My Russian is not yet at a level where I can read such a text with any ease at all. However, I like the challenge of reading the real stuff.

By the way, Depardieu says in the letter that he will now learn Russian. Maybe a new recruit to HTLAL:-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4417 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 18 of 99
10 January 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
The last couple of days I have been working on lesson 18 of Colloquial Russian. The text, Мужина и женшина, introduces the active present and past participles. The concept is not a problem, but I think I will have to do a lot more exercises on this in order to feel comfortable using them.

There is one particular construction in the lesson I still do not understand. It is the following:
Но до сих пор можно видет женщин, занимающихся тяжёлым физическим трудом

I thought you would put the object of the verb видеть in accusative, however here it is followed by a construction in genitive. If anyone reading this can give an explanation I would be greatful.

I have also started to work on lesson 19 - it talks about the free economic zone of the Sakhalin region. The grammar focuses on the passive participles.

Generally, I find these last chapters of Colloquial quite challenging, but I enjoy the topics, and they introduce vocabulary which is very useful to understand news articles.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4834 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 19 of 99
10 January 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

Но до сих пор можно видетЬ женщин, занимающихся тяжёлым физическим трудом

Женщин is the acc. pl. which coincides with the gen. pl., because женщина is animated.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4417 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 20 of 99
10 January 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Mark, thank you for the explanation. It seems logical now, but I guess I got confused by the fact that in singular, feminine nouns have its own accusative form which is used whether animate or not. I'll remember this now: Я вижу женщину - I see a/the woman, but Я вижу женщин - I see (the) women.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4417 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 21 of 99
14 January 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I have decided I need to give myself small challenges in Russian since I am not on a Russian team. So from now on I will try to write a small text in Russian every week, trying to avoid using the grammar and dictionary (although I admit that if I am totally stuck on a word or a construction, I'll probably have a peek.)

So here is my first try. It took a little while to write, as I am not yet really familiar with the Russian keyboard. I'll get better with practice I hope. Corrections are welcome!

Здравствуйте. Меня зовут Ойвинд. Мне сорок восемь лет, а у меня есть жена, дочь и сын. Я норвежец, я родился в Осло, столице Норвегии. Теперь я вижу в Страсбурге, во Франции. Страсбург очень красивый город, у него есть много каналов и мостов. Главная достопримечательность – собор.

Я интересуюсь литературой, языками, музыкой, гастрономией и европейской политикой. Я работаю в международной организации.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4834 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 22 of 99
14 January 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

Здравствуйте. Меня зовут Ойвинд. Мне сорок восемь лет, у меня есть жена, дочь и сын. Я
норвежец, я родился в Осло, столице Норвегии. Теперь я живу в Страсбурге, во Франции.
Страсбург очень красивый город, в нем много каналов и мостов. Главная
достопримечательность – собор.

Я интересуюсь литературой, языками, музыкой, гастрономией и европейской политикой. Я
работаю в международной организации.

Edited by Марк on 14 January 2013 at 5:32pm

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4417 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 23 of 99
14 January 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Mark. I take it that you cannot use у него есть when talking about an inanimate object like a city?

By the way, I am really impressed and I really value your readiness to explain your language and correct the Russian of so many of us here on the forum. Much appreciated!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 99
14 January 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Thank you Mark. I take it that you cannot use у него есть when talking about an
inanimate object like a city?

By the way, I am really impressed and I really value your readiness to explain your language and correct
the Russian of so many of us here on the forum. Much appreciated!

I totally agree with that one. Mark is worth his weight in gold :-)

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version