Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 99
12 March 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
I agree about the russian assimil. I use the 1971 version, french base, after a lot of thought and search for opinions on this very forum. I am very happy with it.

As for greman, I add some vocabulary from another little book from the '50s. It's a greek method wihout audio. It spices things up, and helps me learn some interesting words, other than the assimil ones. They usually come in pairs: happy/unhappy, kind/unkind, etc.

I'm off to see what the Langenscheidt course is, because I don't know about it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4060 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 34 of 99
12 March 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
As far as I know Greeks use many words in French, for example I was told that most car parts are in French (wind
shield = παρμπρίζ). It sounds quite weird to me when Greeks use this words in their speech, because they don't
sound like Greek at all.

I hear often things like:

ασανσέρ = lift
παλτό = coat (gabardine style, I think)

But also words as common as blue (μπλε) are French.

They also use many Italian words, but I think these don't sound so weird, their sound combines better with Greek
words.

Edited by Gomorritis on 12 March 2013 at 3:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 35 of 99
12 March 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Very true observations. These are all used all the time.

If you want to know the greek words here they are:

ασανσέρ: ανελκυστήρας (both forms used)
παλτό: πανωφόρι (both forms used)
μπλε: κυανό/γαλάζιο (all forms used depending on the shade of blue, but μπλε is the more common)
παρμπρίζ: ανεμοθώρακας (greek form not used)
αμπραγιάζ: συμπλέκτης (both used)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 99
15 March 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I am not overjoyed at the Greek Assimil either - the Russian one is actually quite funny, but if there is a sense of humour in the Greek one I fail to see it. Tell us more about your trip to the Dominican republic. That sounds interesting!

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 37 of 99
15 March 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Gomorritis and renaissancemedi, thanks for your answers. I see there are more French loan words in Greek than I would have thought initially.

Cristina, good to see you back. I will certainly write something about my trip, but I am actually considering starting a second log in order to keep this one limited to my TAC Greek and Russian. It is still at a planning stage, but maybe in a few days.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 38 of 99
20 March 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
I have been trying to follow the principle of "one day one language" over the last week, alternating with Greek on Monday, Wednesday and if possible Friday, and Russian on Tuesday, Thursday and in the weekend. I have not been 100% consistent, but at least it has made me work more on my Greek studies. (I am more advanced in Russian, and I have a lot of tempting material to dig into, so it has not been easy to have Russian-free days.)

In Greek I am concentrating on the Langenscheidt course. I am taking it slowly, as there is a lot of new vocabulary in each lesson, and I also want to be sure that I have a good grasp of new grammar points.

In Russian I am trying to study intensively the lessons in Colloquial Russian 2, combined with more extensive use of Assimil for listening. In Colloquial I am at the third lesson now, the theme is Tourism, and the grammar focuses on verbs of motion, one of my big headaches still when it comes to Russian.

By the way, I have started a second log. I will use that one for writing in other languages and about language-related issues that interest me. In this way, I will keep my TAC log limited to Greek and Russian.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 39 of 99
22 March 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
The week has been busy as usual, so progress on the language front is slow. After some hesitation I have picked up my Assimil Greek course again, but I do not spend a lot of time on each lesson. It is useful for those moments when you have 10-20 minutes "dead time", while the Langenscheidt course requires a lot more work on each lesson. So I do Langenscheidt when I have more time available. By the end of March I hope to reach lesson 20 of Assimil and have finished lesson 5 in Langenscheidt.

As for Russian, in addition to working on Colloquial 2 and listening to Assimil while walking or cooking, I have also read a couple of articles on the internet. Now I guess I still need to look up 30-50 percent of the vocabulary in a regular newspaper article, and in order not to spend too much time on it I sometimes pass the article through Google translate. However, some weird translations come up. For example, I read an article about the Orthodox Lent, in Russian called Великий пост. Google got that right, but when the article talked about Lent as the main fast for the Orthodox, "главный пост", Google translated this into Norwegian as "the main post office of the Orthodox". So obviously, Google cannot replace a good dictionary and some common sense. However, to get the gist of a complicated text it serves its purpose.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 40 of 99
05 April 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Since last update I must admit that I have been rather lazy and progress has been very slow. What is more, I've been feeling slightly demotivated, especially as regards Greek, but it has also been an effort to do anything serious in Russian. I'm also "suffering" from a moment of wanderlust, I have probably spent more time on Latin than on Russian and Greek put together over the last 10 days, and I've been thinking seriously about reactivating my Italian, which has been dormant for quite some time. I've also been "playing around" with Catalan (meaning listening to Catalan radio and surfing websites ending in .cat.)

I guess its just a phase I am going through, and from experience I expect to be back to serious study of both Greek and Russian in a few days. In the meantime, I'll probably just follow my whims and do what I feel for. After all, once a language nerd, always a language nerd.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version