Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
553 messages over 70 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 ... 69 70 Next >>

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 193 of 553
06 January 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
It worked. Log into your Twitter account, and then click on "Connect" (upper bar).
Then, on the upper left, you'll see "Interactions" + "Mentions". Click on one of these
two, and you'll see who interacted + mentioned you,

BTW, tweet @LanguageVikings :-)

Edited by Mae on 08 January 2013 at 1:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Personal Language Map

Message 194 of 553
08 January 2013 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
What about merging the teams? Any ideas? :-)

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6010 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 195 of 553
08 January 2013 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:

I say merge 'em!!
The more the merrier!

Edited by liddytime on 08 January 2013 at 6:21am

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 196 of 553
08 January 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
Mae wrote:

I say merge 'em!!
The more the merrier!
I agree. I welcome more members.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 197 of 553
08 January 2013 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
A SMALL NORWEGIAN LESSON - USE OF CAPITAL
LETTERS

I still feel a bit hesitant about correcting people's mistakes here, as I do not know how you feel about being
corrected in public. I would however mention things that seem to be rather common. One mistake which
seems to be common even among native Norwegian speakers, is the use of captal letters.

And the main rule is: If in doubt, do not use capital letters. They are only used when beginning a new
sentence, and for proper names for persons or places. No months, week days, languages, nationalities, no
nothing. If you see native speakers writing any of those with capital letters, it is because of influence from 
English, and it is wrong. We even use small letters for words containing a country if it is merged with a
different word.

Eks. På mandag sa Judy til meg at hun hadde lyst til å dra til Norge i januar for å lære seg norsk sammen
med en franskmann som er en norgesvenn.

On Monday Judy told me that she wanted to go to Norway in January to learn Norwegian together with a
Frenchman who is a "Norway-friend". x

x - Cultural note. Norway is a small country with a huge inferiority complex (a number of foreigners asking if
Norway is the capital of Sweden and who think Liv Ullmann is Swedish does that to you). We therefore get
extatic whenever anyone shows interest in us, by visiting the country often or by talking nicely about us, and
we immediately proclaim that they are a "norgesvenn". Particularly if it is someone famous:-)

There, first lesson down. Many more to come :-)

SECOND VIKING CHALLENGE

Write 3 sentences where you try to use as many of the words which in English are spelled with capital letters,
and in Norwegian (and as far as I know also Swedish and Danish) are spelled with regular letters as possible.

Was this challenge to easy, to difficult or too boring or was the sentence so convoluted that you did not
understand it :-)? Until you have decided where to put them, I would recommend putting them right here, you
can always move them to the web site later. The web site sounds like a good long term solution, but the
essential thing is that you just go out and do this, now.

Vikings that are not up for a challenge, what is the world coming too :-)

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5037 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 198 of 553
08 January 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
Well I wasn't sure where to write it, so I decided to wait til I understand where are we supposed to write these challenges.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 199 of 553
08 January 2013 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
All lessons + challenges are immediately posted there too (if possible). I would recommend to use the comment function on the site, for these simple reasons:

- The Wordpress server is a sight better in terms of reliability, stability, speed...
- We can edit those contents as we want, whenever we want - no time limits.
- We can post our answers as comments under our pages (= logs) or under the article (no more quotes, copy/paste, etc.)
- We can add links, pictures, content, etc. as much as we want.
- If needed/wanted, we could upgrade ($ 20.-/1 year) to share audio and video.

IMO, the advantages far outweigh the "disadvantages" (if there are any at all); you just post and share.

Mod: Please add the new members on the first page of our thread and close the other thread - if Scandinavian Team #2 agrees! :-)

Edited by Mae on 08 January 2013 at 9:40am

Marya
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
languagewanderer.com
Joined 4195 days ago

62 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 200 of 553
08 January 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I'd be cool if you add me and other people who want to learn scandinavian languages:)

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version