Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4117 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 201 of 553
08 January 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
It would be nice to merge, I have spoken to a few people from Team #2 and they wouldn't
mind to merge. Here's my challenge:

SECOND VIKING CHALLENGE (+ small explanation)

I've learned about the use of capital letters in Swedish (probably in other
Scandinavian languages as well) and wanted to do the challenge and put a small
explanation with it to help myself & others (please correct any mistakes made).

The use of capital letters in Swedish is different than it is in English. Capital
letters are
used the same way as in English when:
- It's a beginning of a sentence: Hur mår du?
- After a colon in direct speech: Hon sade: “Hur mår du?”
- To show respect: Herren, Hans Majestät Konungen.
- In proper names: Ingvar Andersson, Volvo, Malmö, Danmark.

However, there are many words in Swedish that are spelled with small letters, where
they would be capital letters in English:
tisdagen den 8:e januari - Tuesday the 8th of Januari
påsk, midsommar, jul - Easter, Midsummer, Christmas

All the names of the days of the week and the month:
måndag, tisdag, onsdag - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
augusti, september, oktober - August, September, October

For example: I Sverige börjar vintern redan i slutet av oktober.
In Swedish all the names of languages, adjectives to describe national origin,
nationalities, religion, political affiliation and those deriving from a place name are
all written with a small letter:
svenska - Swedish
engelska - English
socialdemokrat - Social Democrat
stockholmare - Stockholmer

For example:
Jag pratar svenska och engelska. Hon är socialdemokrat. Han är stockholmare.

Swedish also has a capital only in the first word in names consisting of two or more
words (unless any of the subsequent words is itself a proper noun):
Den helige ande - the Holy Spirit
Peter den store - Peter the Great
Förente staterna - the United States

but:
Republiken Sydafrika - the Republic of South Africa

My 3 sentences for the challenge:
Jag är holländsk men jag lär mig svenska eftersom jag älskar Sverige.

Jag kommer att besöka Sverige i mars och jag ska försöka att tala bara svenska när jag
är där.

Jag har träffat en fransman, tysk och en holländare i måndags.

[Please correct me if there are mistakes in here, I just typed out everything because I
learn better that way.]

Edited by Kez on 08 January 2013 at 10:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5684 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 202 of 553
08 January 2013 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Here comes VIKING CHALLENGE NUMBER 1: Sett i gang!

Prepare to write a post on this thread. Set your timer, or the stop watch on your cell phone and put it on 5 minutes, Then write as much as you can in your target language without using anything but your brain.No dictionaries, no course books.

Then set your timer for another 5 minutes, and write whatever you want, this time using a dictionary if you like (and you want to spend some of your precious 5 minutes on that).

The nice side effect of this particular challenge, is of course that both you and I then will get an idea of where you all are, and it will be easier to plan mini challenges in the future. Anyone who joins the team later, can just do the challenge when it is convenient for them.

Have fun!
Mitt inlägg till (eller för?) den första "challenge"*
Fem minutter utan ordbok, osv.
Jag har aldrig skrivit på svenska utan min ordbok. Jag är inte säker att jag ska skriva någon interessad. Ibland tror jag att jag har lärt mig så mera språk och kanske ska jag blir förvirrad.

Fem minuter med två ordböcker och en ordförråd lista.
Idag har jag varit upptagen. Min hus var en röra, eftersom jag hade känt ganska bekvam under det helt veckoslutet. Jag ville att göra ingenting men lyssna på radio och läsa några böcker.

*I had to use the English word "challenge" because I didn't know the Swedish word until after I was done typing and looked it up in my bilingual dictionary. So I now know the word "utmaning", but I didn't when I typed the first part.*

I welcome any corrections anyone would like to make to make. I will do the second challenge in the morning after I get some sleep.

Hej då
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 08 January 2013 at 11:05am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 203 of 553
08 January 2013 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
[QUOTE=Solfrid Cristin] Mitt inlägg till (eller för?) den första
"challenge"*
Fem minuter utan ordbok, osv.
Jag har aldrig skrivit på svenska utan min ordbok. Jag är inte säker att jag kommer att
skriva/skriver någon intressant. Ibland tror jag att jag har lärt mig för många
språk och kanske ska jag bli förvirrad.

Fem minuter med två ordböcker och en ordförråd lista.
Idag har jag varit upptagen. Min hus var en röra, eftersom jag hade känt mig ganska
bekväm under det hela veckoslutet. Jag ville inte göra någonting utan att lyssna på
radio och läsa några böcker.

*I had to use the English word "challenge" because I didn't know the Swedish word until
after I was done typing and looked it up in my bilingual dictionary. So I now know the
word "utmaning", but I didn't when I typed the first part.*

I welcome any corrections anyone would like to make to make. I will do the second
challenge in the morning after I get some sleep.

Hej då
Mick

I managed to pick out a few obvious mistakes. I'll leave the actual details to the
Swedes, but a few things I can also tell you:

Jag lär mig/jag känner mig (I'm learning/I feel) are reflexive in Swedish.

If you use ska, then you use the infinitive form of the verb (ska jag bli, ska jag resa
till Stockholm)

If you use det veckoslutet, adjectives are always in the -a form (det hela veckoslutet,
ett helt veckoslut). Although you can also just use helg(en) for weekend. It also means
that as well as holiday nowadays if I am not mistaken.

If you want to say "I didn't want to do anything but", you cannot use "men", I think
utan would be a better proposition, but I'll leave the Swedes to say if that is
correct.

These are just the things I noticed; I don't know the higher-order nuances. If any
Swedes see me slipping up, tell me.

Edited by tarvos on 08 January 2013 at 11:24am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 204 of 553
08 January 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Was this challenge to easy, to difficult or too boring or was the sentence so convoluted that you did not understand it :-)?

None of the above, I just need that dreaded thing known as dead-time! :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 205 of 553
08 January 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Was this challenge to easy, to difficult or too boring or was the sentence so convoluted that you did not understand it :-)?

None of the above, I just need that dreaded thing known as dead-time! :)

:-)

By the way, would you like to correct the Swedish, or should I have a go at it at the risk of totally butchering your native language?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 January 2013 at 7:09pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 206 of 553
08 January 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Kez:

Jag är [holländsk]/holländare men jag lär mig svenska eftersom jag älskar Sverige.

I'd say "Jag är holländare" (cf. fransman/tysk/holländare below).

Jag kommer att besöka Sverige i mars och (jag) ska försöka att [tala bara]/bara tala svenska när jag är där.

Optional repeat of subject, "bara tala" instead of "tala bara", even it could seem as if you'll only speak Swedish (and do nothing else during the whole stay). I can't say that your sentence is grammatically incorrect, but I'd choose "bara tala".

Jag har träffat/träffade en fransman, en tysk och en holländare i måndags.

Added indefinite article. I'd use 'träffade' instead of 'har träffat', probably because the time frame is mentioned (I think Solfrid mentioned this guideline in this thread or one of the logs).

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 08 January 2013 at 7:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 207 of 553
08 January 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Mick33:

Jag har aldrig skrivit på svenska utan min ordbok. - correct!

Jag är inte säker att jag ska skriva någon interessad/något intressant. added preposition - "säker på";gender - use neuter "något" for general things;word form/spelling - "intresserad av" (="interested in") and "intressant" ("interesting") isn't the same thing.

Ibland tror jag att jag har lärt mig [så mera]/så många/för många språk och kanske ska/kommer jag (att) blir/bli förvirrad. Unnatural expression - perhaps you meant "too many languages?;choice of words - "kommer" instead of "ska" sounds better, there's probably a rule for this;verb tense - always infinitive after auxiliary verbs like ska/kommer att/vill/kan/måste/behöver...

Fem minuter med två ordböcker och en [ordförråd lista]/ordlista.

Ordlista = dictionary

Idag har jag varit upptagen. Correct!

Min/mitt hus var en röra, eftersom jag hade känt mig ganska bekväm under [det helt veckoslutet]/hela helgen. Gender;added reflexive pronoun;rephrased expression.

Jag [ville [att] göra ingenting]/ville inte göra någonting [men]/förutom att lyssna på radio och läsa några böcker.

Instead of auxiliary verb+verb+ingenting, use "inte.... någonting" (not...anything);unnatural expression - "men" ("but") in subordinary clauses (like "...anything, but") is "förutom". Another thing, the infinitive marker "att" isn't needed after vill/ska/måste/behöver/kan.

Hope this helps!

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 08 January 2013 at 7:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6663 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 208 of 553
08 January 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
As a result of a group decision, let us consider both teams... MERGED! All the new members of Team Viking: welcome on board! Good luck with your language studies, and let us not forget to keep each other motivated and inspired :).

Please just write in this thread that you officially join us, introduce yourselves, and post links to your logs. (By the way, some links of the "old" Vikings are still missing: please check if your logs are among them.)

@Kez and @Marya: I've already added you both to the list of team members!

@Mae: the website is not superfluous, no way! We just need some time to get it going and figure out our ways to use it, some people don't read HTLAL every day, and probably some Vikings will write more there than the others, depending on the individual preferences... but the blog has all potential to become great :)
And thanks for all explanations and links about using Wordpress!

@Cristina: I'll definitely take part in the second challenge! I've been just too busy during the last couple of days.

@Emme: the best post ever, truly! I watched "Karl-Bertil Jonssons julafton" (and I would recommend it to all other Swedish beginners!), and partly "Kan du vissla Johanna?", and I will try the other ones. It would be nice if you could keep posting links (and I'll do the same when I find films available for watching from abroad).

Oh, and don't be technofobic about the blog! Struggling to get the posts on-line here on HTLAL is a whole different thing, as this forum is pretty full of bugs. I think we all struggle with HTLAL from time to time, irrespective of our technical skills and the quality of our Internet access.

One more thing about movies on-line: I'm thinking about getting a VPN. If you're interested in it or you have no idea what the letters VPN stand for, you might find this thread worth reading.

@Kez: thank you so much for your post about Swedish spelling rules!

@jeff_lindqvist: would you correct my challenge post as well? I'd be really, really grateful!

Edited by Julie on 08 January 2013 at 9:54pm

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version