553 messages over 70 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 ... 69 70 Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6007 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 289 of 553
20 January 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Like daegga says, these are forms that are perfectly possible in Bokmål.
[...]
The good news for a foreign learner is that there are so many allowed forms that it is hard to go wrong, and that people will not make those sort of presumptions about you.
[...]
If you find all this confusing, try to stick to the fact that there are so many "right" ways of writing it, that it is hard to go wrong.

When I told a friend of mine that I had offered to be the Godmother of this group he said: " Oh that must be an interesting task, because as soon as you have four Norwegians assembled, you will have four different opinions of what the correct
usage is". That is partly true, which is why I try to present the different options.

Maybe confusing, but very useful for all those who believe that the language police will arrest you if you use a different spelling for a certain word. :)

Yeah, very interesting! Thanks for the explanations. Yes, Pimsleur is Bokmål.    I just assumed that Pimsleur was Nynorsk because it used the feminine article "ei" for EVERY feminine word. Maybe the Pimsleur Norwegian speakers were just feeling
under the weather??
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6687 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 290 of 553
20 January 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
It's not the first time a course is full of details (hey, the author just wants to be "helpful"!), and then we get a kind of standardized language with rules that are broken all the time by natives. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5125 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 291 of 553
21 January 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Hej allihopa!
Jag är klar med min första challenge. Jag tittade på nyheterna på svenska varje dag för en vecka. Jag vet inte om jag skulle rapportera det här på Vikingarnas thread, men det gör jag i alla fall. Har vi bestämt regler för challengerna?

I’ve finished my first challenge. I watched the news in Swedish every day for a week. I don’t know whether I should report that here, on the Vikings’ thread, but I’m doing it anyway. Have we decided on the rules for the challenges?

---
Corrections and suggestions are always welcome! Tack!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4135 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 292 of 553
21 January 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I've done the first challenge on the list, here it is:

Jag heter Cas och jag kommer från Holland. Jag är 23 år gammal och jag bor i
Hoogkarspel med min flickvän. Jag gillar att spela guitar. I min fri tid lär jag mig
svenska eftersom jag ska flytta till sverige i june 2013. Jag var intresserad i
sverige när jag var 18 år gammal. Jag träffade min svensk flickvän när jag gick på
semester till sverige förra året. Ett år senare och jag har planer att flytta till
sverige och bor där för minst fem år.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------
Not completely sure where to post this challenge, but I think the Team Thread is the
best place. Once someone corrected it we could keep 'score' on the WordPress website.
We could make a Challange Ranking Page there and keep scores/ranks there?

I posted this in my log, but i'm posting it here as well:
I've still got this feeling that I should be focusing on speaking a bit more than I do
at the moment. I have a native speaker in my house so it can't be that hard. I was
thinking of choosing a topic, then learn some sentences about it etc. and just have a
conversation about that with my gf. I was thinking about things like
cooking/supermarket/weekend etc. and just learn everything I would need in those
situations (ex: Should I cut this? Do we need ...? Do we have any ... at home? What
have you done this weekend? etc.). If I would do 1 topic every 2/3 days, that would
mean that I could be having full Swedish speaking days in maybe 3-4 weeks.

Would anyone be interested in 'teaming up' and make lists of
questions/answers/sentences/words for specific situations and maybe make Anki/Memrise
lists of it? This doesn't necessarily have to be someone who's learning Swedish, we
could create lists in English, and translate it to our own TL.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4337 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 293 of 553
21 January 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:
Jag heter Cas och (jag) kommer från Holland. Jag är 23 år gammal och (jag) bor i Hoogkarspel med min flickvän. Jag gillar att spela gitarr. min fritid lär jag mig svenska eftersom jag ska flytta till Sverige i juni 2013. Jag blev intresserad av Sverige när jag var 18 år gammal. Jag träffade min svenska flickvän när jag var på semester i Sverige förra året. Nu, ett år senare, har jag planer att flytta till Sverige och bo där i minst fem år.

I hope I didn't overcorrect some parts. As always, I'll leave the final word to Jeff.

Another alternative to "Jag blev intresserad av Sverige..." might have been "Jag har intresserat mig för Sverige sedan jag var 18".

"när jag gick på semester" corresponds to something like "when I left for a holiday", and I assume you met her during your stay, rather than on your way to the airport. I could be wrong about this one.

Neither am I entirely sure about the "Ett år senare och...". I'm used to seeing the construction in contexts like "a year later and I'm still at it", but here it doesn't seem to fit.

P.S. I added the talk radio channels Radio1 and P1 to my list of media resources.

EDIT1: Thanks, tarvos. That's a mistake I often make myself.
EDIT2: Added the the final touches after Jeff's latest post.

Edited by sans-serif on 21 January 2013 at 4:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4485 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 294 of 553
21 January 2013 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Jag är intresserad av Sverige. Counterintuitive, but that is the preposition you use.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6687 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 295 of 553
21 January 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Good job, sans-serif! You just missed one expression: "min svenska flickvän". (Kez: adjectives take the definite form after possessive pronouns)

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4135 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 296 of 553
21 January 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Cheers for the corrections guys!

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version