Finland
Joined 4318 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 313 of 553
28 January 2013 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Speaking of this V2 rule, can any native or advanced speaker of Swedish try to explain to me why in this sentence the rule wasn’t followed and we have S+V even though the sentence starts with a time adverb?

I found this sentence in the textbook I’m currently using:
Quote:

I morgon bitti kanske de är föräldrar.

ur Ballardini, Stjärnlöf, Viberg, Nya Mål 1, sida 207

It's because of the word 'kanske', which is an odd case among adverbs, possibly because it's technically just the words 'kan' and 'ske' written together. From what I understand, it can be used both with V2 and normal word order, although I'm not sure whether one or the other is considered more correct. Jeff?

My hunch is that your example is the traditional usage. It's essentially equivalent to:
I morgon bitti kan ske att de är föräldrar.

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 314 of 553
28 January 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
"Kanske" is the wild card in Swedish grammar. You can put it nearly anywhere in the sentences, as long as it's "close enough". Consider these simple three-word sentences:
De kommer kanske.
De kanske kommer.
Kanske de kommer.
Kanske kommer de.

All work, all are nearly equally common, there's no informal/formal register, no dialectal usage...

Your sentence with variations:
I morgon bitti kanske de är föräldrar.
I morgon bitti är de kanske föräldrar.
Kanske de är föräldrar i morgon bitti.
Kanske är de föräldrar i morgon bitti.
(Kanske är de i morgon bitti föräldrar) (not wrong, but this sounds odd)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 28 January 2013 at 7:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 315 of 553
28 January 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
@sans-serif
@jeff_lindqvist

Thanks so much for the explanations! I’ve been puzzling over that sentence for a couple of weeks, but now at last I can see where the problem was.

1 person has voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4116 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 316 of 553
29 January 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Had time to do another challenge:
Mini Viking-Challenge #6. Where do you go on holiday? Write five sentences about
your favourite destination.

Jag älskar att åka till Sverige eftersom landet har så mycket vackert natur. Men jag
älskar mer än bara naturen i Sverige. Människor i Sverige är jättefina och gästvänliga.
Sverige är också är ett bra land om du tycker om att åka snowboard, som jag gör. Jag
har också varit i Götebörg och jag tyckte att det var en vacker stad. Jag kan inte
vänta att se mer av Sverige!

I was also wondering, maybe we could organize a Skype chat soon? We don't have to speak
our TL right away but maybe just speak English to get to know eachother and we could
always switch do a TL.

Edit:

Skype list:
- Kez
- Expugnator
- Solfrid_Cristina

Edited by Kez on 29 January 2013 at 2:08pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 317 of 553
29 January 2013 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Count me in for the Skype session, Kez!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 318 of 553
29 January 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I can join you if you like. I think any sort of communication in any of the three Scandinavian languages would
benefit the other two, and if Jeff joins too, we can have one of the situations which is normal to us, but mind
boggling to most foreigners, of a Norwegian and a Swede talking to each other in their respective languages.
And if we really want a giggling session the two of us could speak in Swedish only or in Norwegian only.

How many of you are at a level where you would like to engage in an actual conversation? On team Sputnik
we were all scared to death by the prospect of actually speaking Russian in the beginning, so we spoke
English and any other language we had in common except from Russian. Then after a couple of sessions
where we had introduced ourselves, and our reasons for studying the language, we moved on to reading
dialogue ( knowing that the sentences themselves were correct, and that all we could mess up was the
pronunciation felt safer) and then only after a long time did we move onto any sort of free conversation. Of
course, we did not have any native speakers available.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4116 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 319 of 553
29 January 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I can join you if you like. I think any sort of communication
in any of the three Scandinavian languages would
benefit the other two, and if Jeff joins too, we can have one of the situations which
is normal to us, but mind
boggling to most foreigners, of a Norwegian and a Swede talking to each other in their
respective languages.
And if we really want a giggling session the two of us could speak in Swedish only or
in Norwegian only.

How many of you are at a level where you would like to engage in an actual
conversation? On team Sputnik
we were all scared to death by the prospect of actually speaking Russian in the
beginning, so we spoke
English and any other language we had in common except from Russian. Then after a
couple of sessions
where we had introduced ourselves, and our reasons for studying the language, we moved
on to reading
dialogue ( knowing that the sentences themselves were correct, and that all we could
mess up was the
pronunciation felt safer) and then only after a long time did we move onto any sort of
free conversation. Of
course, we did not have any native speakers available.

Would be great if you and Jeff could join, and ofcourse always fun to hear you speak
it. And yeah, ofcourse I would love to give it a try to just speak Swedish, eventhough
I won't be very succesfull. I could always ask my girlfriend to join us as a native
Swede as well, if Jeff can't.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 320 of 553
29 January 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
I could understand about half of what you said in Norwegian, Cristina, I think that's a
start. I can also try to say a few obvious things. Besides, there's always room for
dealing with the tricky Norwegian vowels.

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version