Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 33 of 553
13 December 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindgvist, how come as a native speaker of Swedish you are going to use English resources for Norwegian? Or maybe you will deal with Linguaphone in a monolingual way.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6695 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 553
13 December 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
I happen to have access to the Linguaphone course, as simple as that. I don't know if there's any major Swedish resources for either Norwegian or Danish. Most of what I can find at the library focuses on the similarities and differences (see this thread), which by all means might be more important for me at the moment, but I don't think one can go wrong with a course that treats the language as... a language.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 35 of 553
13 December 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Since some of you have chosen Norwegian, you have obviously not been scared away by all the confusion
around the language, with dialects and statements of diglossia floating around. I wanted to further reassure
you. The Standard Norwegian (bokmål) which is the written form, and which is the language used in
language courses, is understood by everyone In Norway, and the educated spoken norm for that is virtually
identical. I know of no spoken words I cannot use in the written language, and I know of no written word I
could not use in my speech.

For an English speaker the language is very easy to learn, but I would spend a bit of time on the
pronunciation. If you get that right, people will get incredibly impressed.

In these times of high unemployment, it also makes very good business sense to learn Norwegian. We have
no unemployment, and a very friendly working environment. People come from all over Europe to work here.
So good luck with the language, and do not hesitate to ask anything :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4185 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 36 of 553
14 December 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Hey Jeff,

Check this out: http://www.adlibris.com/se/product.aspx?isbn=9144301111

Maybe I'll join this team too. I'm fluent in reading Norwegian but A1 in speaking. I'm not sure about keeping a log though. First, I don't do a lot except work and study. Second, I'm kinda shy ;)

I also have the problem of German interference from 4 years in Berlin. When I grope for a Norwegian word, a German word is usually what first springs to mind...

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 37 of 553
14 December 2012 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
OK Vikings!
You may have another team member!
I'm not committing for sure yet... but...
I have wanted to learn a Scandinavian language for some time and TAC 2013 may just give me the nudge I need.
I have been learning (poorly) all of these exotic languages with foreign scripts and I can't even pick up a book, or
poem and read it! I would love to study a relatively highly cognate language in Latin script, where reading a
chapter in a book doesn't take a month and a half!   Plus, Scandinavia is and has always been a dream destination
of mine. Perhaps by learning some Norwegian, it will give me the incentive to get there!

I have been specifically drawn to Norwegian mainly because I had several Norwegian friends in Grad School. They
drew me in to Norwegian culture and a smattering of the language (although it was, shall we say "r-Rated" ). I do
love the sound of spoken Norwegian as well.

So, Cristina and Team Viking: Kan du hjelpe meg???

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 38 of 553
14 December 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
OK Vikings!
You may have another team member!
I'm not committing for sure yet... but...
I have wanted to learn a Scandinavian language for some time and TAC 2013 may just give me the nudge I
need.
I have been learning (poorly) all of these exotic languages with foreign scripts and I can't even pick up a
book, or
poem and read it! I would love to study a relatively highly cognate language in Latin script, where reading a
chapter in a book doesn't take a month and a half!   Plus, Scandinavia is and has always been a dream
destination
of mine. Perhaps by learning some Norwegian, it will give me the incentive to get there!

I have been specifically drawn to Norwegian mainly because I had several Norwegian friends in Grad School.
They
drew me in to Norwegian culture and a smattering of the language (although it was, shall we say "r-Rated" ). I
do
love the sound of spoken Norwegian as well.

So, Cristina and Team Viking: Kan du hjelpe meg???

Selvsagt kan vi helpe deg, liddytime! Jeg gleder meg til å være din gudmor. Bare si hva du trenger så er vi
der for deg :-)

@limey: Fantastisk ide!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 14 December 2012 at 6:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6689 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 39 of 553
14 December 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
The more, the merrier, dear Vikings :).

I'm putting "Viking" as the team name in the thread title. If anyone wants another name,
we can still change it, though - it's an open issue, we have over two weeks until TAC
begins :).

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 40 of 553
14 December 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Selvsagt kan vi helpe deg, liddytime! Jeg gleder meg til å være din gudmor. Bare si hva du trenger så er vi
der for deg :-)

Ha ha tusen takk! :-)

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version