Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4117 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 401 of 553
17 February 2013 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
In the beginning it was Expugnator, Julie & me. And after 45 minutes Liddytime joined us.
I guess we'll set the next appointment now? It seems that 3pm is not a good time for
everyone. Anyone has a time suggestion?
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 402 of 553
17 February 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Too bad I had to leave when liddytime entered! We could have talked more in Norwegian. It
still worked out with Kez and Julie speaking in Swedish and I in Norwegian, though.
Languages are indeed similar.

Next Sunday at 8pm UTC there will probably be another team's session ;) In fact, next
Sunday I'll be busy the whole day long. Still, I think that 6 pm UTC would work fine as a
usual time for me, and it would also allow for some North Americans to join us.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 5989 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 403 of 553
18 February 2013 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Yeah, that was a lot of fun this morning (er, afternoon for most of you)! That's the first time I've actually tried to speak Norwegian to anyone other than my wall...uff..
I'm a bit rusty.   We should figure out which "challenges" we'll cover in advance for our next session so we can spend more time talking in
our TL's.

Like expugnator, I was amazed that I could totally follow the Swedes! (fist vigorously pumping in the air...)   I'll admit that 3pm UTC is a bit early for
me ( @ 7am on a Sunday, I'm still comatose) : anything 4pm UTC onwards would work for me. If we keep it at 3pm I'm still
up for it, I'll just have to set an alarm, or two! :-)

Edited by liddytime on 18 February 2013 at 3:18am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 404 of 553
18 February 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
I'm checking the Skype-meetings of the team. A meeting at 8 pm UTC (= GMT) = 9 pm CET would not be possible for me as I have another appointment on Sunday evenings. Besides this it's too late in the evening for me anyway.

So, if this remains the the meeting time, I will not be able to join with my Danish. Besides this I don't know at all, whether I will be able to understand SPOKEN Norwegian and Swedish. Maybe not. I have no listening experience with these languages in the spoken form.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 February 2013 at 5:15pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 405 of 553
18 February 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Anytime in the afternoon (i.e. 1pm-5pm UTC) is possible, I just have to keep it in mind.

Just speeking freely in a target language isn't doable for me, so it's probably a good idea to use some lightweight topics, e.g. "Introduce yourself", "Describe your day" etc. (Maybe you've already done so.) These might take anything from 30 seconds to a minute. Some may write this down beforehand and then read aloud. A small group can do their short introductions and then there's plenty of time to ask questions about their target languages (if a native speaker is present).

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4362 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 406 of 553
21 February 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Hi there everybody :) I joined this forum a few months ago and have been a lurker ever since. I finally decided to quit being an inactive member and join this year's TAC, albeit I'm “slightly" late. According to the TAC masterpost applications are still open, right?

I was originally going to wait until next year to join this challenge, but as I already keep an off-line long of my language study and definitely plan to stick to my resolutions I thought…why not? Lovely team name by the way!

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6663 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 407 of 553
24 February 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Hey, it has been awfully quiet in this thread recently. Are we meeting on Skype today? If so, then when exactly?

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Just speeking freely in a target language isn't doable for me, so it's probably a good idea to use some lightweight topics, e.g. "Introduce yourself", "Describe your day" etc. (Maybe you've already done so.)

Yeah, we've already done this. Actually, you've got no idea how accurate you were :). That's precisely what we did: introducing ourselves and describing what we were doing during the day. I think we could repeat these topics once, though: practice makes perfect, and there might be people joining the conversation who didn't hear the introductions. Just speaking freely in TL wouldn't be doable for us either.

@Suzukaze, you're welcome to join the team. Just open a log and post the link in this thread. Now you have no other choice than to stick to your language-related resolutions :).

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4117 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 408 of 553
24 February 2013 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys! Sorry I couldn't make it today for the Skype session. I've had a really busy
week + weekend but i'm finally done with the freaking exam. Time to focus on Swedish
again!

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version