Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 481 of 553
29 June 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
For those of you who learn Norwegian for tourist purposes, I just wanted to let you see an article and a
picture from beautiful Norway, June 29 th ( yesterday ) where a number of tourists were stranded up at
Hardangervidda because of - snow...

Summer
wonderland

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 482 of 553
08 July 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Now in Norwegian so people can practice their Scandinavian:

Hvor mange språk er det mulig å lære?
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 483 of 553
10 October 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Hello Vikings!
Is anyone still there? This log hasn’t been particularly active lately.

Anyway, as I wrote on Expugnator’s log, there’s a website that learners of Norwegian may find interesting.

Bridge to Norway

Among the resources on offer, there’s a section with several reading texts all accompanied by an English glossary which might work well as supplementary materials to bridge the gap between textbook study and extensive reading of authentic native materials.

Good reading everybody!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 484 of 553
10 October 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I feel I have been a very poor fairy godmother to you lately - please forgive me - but since Emme now takes the initiative, perhaps I could encourage all active members of the team to give a little status report - what have you accomplished, what are you studying, what are your future plans, what do you want to have accomplished by the end of the year?

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4138 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 485 of 553
10 October 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
It has been quiet indeed! Okay, here's my status report:

I have accomplished some small things but i'm proud of it. Most of them are the random
small 5-10 minute conversations with Swedish people on the street/shops etc. (Moved to
Sweden few months ago). I've had several days of only speaking Swedish without
switching to English which i'm very happy with. I'm not studying as much as I used to..
I still learn new vocabulary with Memrise and I just start using those words in
conversation. So yeah, my studying is mainly just talking with friends now.

The year has 3 months left.. In those 3 months I hope achieving being completely
Swedish.. using no English at all. It should be possible to achieve that with the way
it's going now.

How's it going for the rest?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 486 of 553
10 October 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reminder, Solfrid!

I won't give any (embarrasingly low) stats from my spreadsheet, but I have spent a fair amount of time on Danish and Norwegian tv-series (drama, crime, whatever). I've also read a lot about grammar, topics such as Da/No as "nabospråk", Da/No for Swedes etc.

I haven't even started the Danish and Norwegian novels I once borrowed from the library, nor have I listened to any of the audiobooks I downloaded last summer from dr.dk. And no, I haven't spoken any Da/No.

Time for some major improvement!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 487 of 553
10 October 2013 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I’m moving ahead very slowly but steadily with Swedish. Even though my study sessions are not as frequent and as intense as might be desired, Swedish is becoming more and more a part of my daily life as far as consuming media is concerned. I wish I had more time and energy after taking care of my job, my family, and my so-called real life to actually schedule some regular textbook studying, because I’m sure I would see faster and more evident progress if I did.

But I’m not complaining too much: I’m looking forward to leaving behind the beginner level once and for all by the end of the year. My personal (and probably questionable) yardstick is no longer qualifying for taking part in the 6wc with Swedish as my target language and I’m quite confident that November will be my last chance at it.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 488 of 553
10 October 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I think I've accomplished my goal of reading comfortably with the help of a dictionary.
I've had intense input through Anki w/audio, podcast, TV series and stories. I still lack
listening comprehension and I haven't practiced my active skills that much, but I believe
they aren't that bad. I sometimes see myself forming Norwegian sentences mentally.

For the end of the year, once I'm done with the podcast, I might have to diversify my
sources of vocabulary in order to improve my reading skills. I also have to activate my
skills a bit through practicing some conversation. And I need to write more paragraphs at
italki! I really want to keep Norwegian under maintenance only for next year, even if I
may not have reached basic fluency yet.

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version