brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 65 of 553
15 December 2012 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
OK,OK, I'm definitely in! With 13 out of 15 places taken, I don't want to miss a spot!

I'm new to the TAC thing but I have a question similar to Jeff's. Do we post our logs here on the team site or do we
keep a separate log?

I'll be back later this weekend to post my bio and (eek!) try to write something in Norwegian...

You keep your own log.

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 66 of 553
15 December 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
I've added Emme and liddytime to my list and now with 15 members, this team is officially full.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 67 of 553
15 December 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Hej!
May I join you?
I’m getting very inspired by this whole TAC thing, and I’d like to be part of Team Viking to focus on improving my limited Swedish.

EDIT: Brun Ugle’s so efficient that she’s already added me to the team. Thank you, Brun Ugle!

Edited by Emme on 15 December 2012 at 7:51pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 68 of 553
15 December 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Also are you considering a team motto, song, or picture like some other teams have?

At least you'll be the only ones with a team comic strip.

Not to mention Scandinavia and the World :-)

Even though I'm not a member (nor do I even see myself being a groupie), I've been thinking of ways to incorporate simple but humourous ways to keep my teams together. How about a translation challenge of a day's comic strip every week or month? It could be rather like this gag in SATW but instead of using Google Translate (which was part of the creator's punch line), each member could contribute the appropriate translation for the speech bubble of at least Denmark, Norway and Sweden and Finland, and then have it checked out by the Fairy Godmother or members who are already fluent in the language (e.g. jeff_lindqvist for Swedish, Serpent for Finnish).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 553
15 December 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi all! I'm glad to join you. The name of the team is perfect!

Well, what can I say about me?
To make it short: blogger, workaholic, gourmet, traveller, creative mind.
Languages: fluent in deu gsw spa eng fra gsw ita; basics in por nld swe.

Swedish I've been studying Swedish for 3 weeks intensively in September, and I
want to improve as much as I can. Ideally I'll be able to sit a Swedish test and to
pass, but I'm not sure which level to go for. My current level may be somewhat A1...
Materials: "Tala Svenska" A1 and A2+, and some other stuff. I'll update that in my log.

Dutch: I learned Dutch by myself and with some help of Fasulye! But after
starting my Swedish course in September, I left Dutch aside. Since then, I haven't
used this language anymore. Goal: Get the fluency back!
Materials: "Praktischer Lehrgang Niederländisch" and some other stuff.

For further info, I invite you to check my old log and/or my profile. ;-)

Let's rock this TAC!!!

Edited by Mae on 15 December 2012 at 8:46pm

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4180 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 70 of 553
15 December 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

At least you'll be the only ones with a team comic strip.

Does anyone know where you can read Hårek den hardbalne (Hägar) in Norwegian (preferably NN)?

Thanks!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6010 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 71 of 553
16 December 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Whew! I just made it onto Team Viking! What a great group we have here. I'm pumped!

For those of you who don't know me from my other logs; my real name is Brian and I work full time as an
Anesthesiologist in Oregon. My love for languages was born through my travel experiences ( I was the one
traveling American who didn't want anyone to speak English to him!) and was nurtured through my experiences
working in larger cities where half my patients didn't speak English. I have a bad habit of starting to learn a
language only to be seduced by another one after 3 -4 months of study. So, unfortunately I would only rate
myself as fluent (or C1) in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese/(Galician) , B1 in Russian and Turkish and far below B1
in about 20 others!! Thus, my real challenge for TAC 2013 will be sticking with a language for a full year. I think
the team approach will help considerably with this.

I have always been attracted to Norwegian as I pointed out in my previous post.   My last language forays have
been Thai, Vietnamese, Persian, Georgian, Mandarin and Arabic! I can't even say how much I am looking forward
to the familiarity of a Germanic language written in a Latin script. My goal for the end of next year is to be able
to speak and understand Norwegian well enough to fool a native speaker into thinking that I'm Norwegian! :-) I
also really hope to be able to visit Scandinavia in 2014 ( not gonna happen in 2013 unfortunately). I am pretty
much starting from scratch with Norwegian, so this is my rough plan:

1st Month - Pimsleur: Mainly to get the sounds of the language down with some basic vocabulary
2nd - 5th Month - Teach Yourself Norwegian or Norwegian in 3 Months I was planning on using Teach
Yourself, but then I found a copy of the Hugo course which seems really good! I'll take the 1st month to go
through each one and pick the one that suits me better.   I figure once I get through one of these courses I can
reassess my level and go from there. So here I go!

Hei! Jeg er Brian fra Oregon. Jeg vil å lære norsk. Jeg håper jeg lærer mye! Skål!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 72 of 553
16 December 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Hei, Brian fra Oregon, det er bra at du vil lære norsk, og jeg er sikker på at du kommer til å lære masse!

Og ja, jeg synes dere har et fantastisk team!

Anyone else out there in addition to Julie who have ten minutes to set aside to do Viking challenge number
one? I know it may feel scary, but it is mostly just to see where your levels are, and then once the year starts
you can all come up with more imaginative challenges.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 16 December 2012 at 9:06am

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version