United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4159 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 1 of 7
11 December 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone here any experience with the På vei course by Cappelen?

link here

I'm planning on buying it.

I'm at the strange stage of being able to read Sult by Hamsun, but being A1 as far as *speaking* is concerned...

Thanks for any feedback! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 7
12 December 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Have you considered joining the Scandinavian TAC team? As a Norwegian I do not use learning material, but
you might benefit from joining a group of people who learn Norwegian and the other Scandinavian
languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4319 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 3 of 7
13 December 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Your situation is an interesting one. In fact, it rather sounds like something a native speaker of another Scandinavian language might say.

Just to get this straight, do you mean you have little in the way of active skills in general, or that speaking specifically—and thus pronunciation—is your weak point? How about explicit grammar knowledge or listening comprehension? Also, when you say read, do you mean "read somewhat fluently without resorting to a dictionary", or something along those lines?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why someone with your level would even consider using a beginner textbook. You have a LOT of passive skills you can and should take advantage of. If, as I suspect, you can read quite well, but fall short in the other areas I mentioned, I would consider doing something like the following:

1) Get yourself a compact, 100–200-page Norwegian grammar, and read all of it, memorizing the inflexion tables (there aren't that many).
2) Do lots of L2-L2 listening–reading. This should consolidate your grammar knowledge and get your listening comprehension to a decent level (and improve your idiomatic awareness and activate some of your passive vocabulary, as all input does)
3) Do some vocabulary work to build a strong active vocabulary, and to learn spelling.

Edit:
In the interest of full disclosure, I think it's fair to add that the above is what I'm planning to do for Danish and Norwegian, and as such strongly reflects my personal preferences. Though as of yet untested, this approach seems reasonably well motivated to me, which is why I suggested it in the first place.

Edited by sans-serif on 13 December 2012 at 5:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jolla
United States
xkcd.com
Joined 4120 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Studies: Norwegian

Message 4 of 7
19 December 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
I have been using På Vei and after a few chapters I can say that it is excellent--but only if you have the
workbook and the audio tracks that go along with it. However, the text is all Norwegian, so if you do not
completely understand the grammar you will need a bilingual textbook to explain the finer points (though it
sounds like you already have grammar down).

Have you thought about using L-R to work on aural comprehension?

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4509 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 7
19 December 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
På vei is a great classroom course (a teacher has an important role in it).
It's a bad self-learning course (unless you get the workbook and the teacher's book as well)

Edited by Camundonguinho on 19 December 2012 at 9:05pm

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4159 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 6 of 7
19 December 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, guys.

@sans-serif: many thanks for your reasoned post. I think your method sounds good. But I want to start right from basics, it's the only way to get rid of ingrained bad habits.
Let me know how you get on with your method!

@Camundonguinho: what course can you recommend then for self-learning?

laban
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5582 days ago

87 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English, Italian
Studies: Norwegian, German

Message 7 of 7
28 December 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I believe På vei is one of the main textbooks used in teaching foreign students, or at
least one of the more available ones. I've looked at several others and noticed they're
all pretty much the same, so I started with På vei and even went on with the rest of the
series. If you're going get it, you should definitely get the full package with the
workbook and tapes. And as mentioned above, it's all in Norwegian, as it's designed for
the classroom (I suppose). So, it does require some basic understanding of the language.
My first book was TY, and only then I moved to På vei.     

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version