195 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 24 25 Next >>
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4414 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 89 of 195
12 January 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
My exams are finally over! I've returned to Mayo for a week off (well, highly doubtful
given the amount of assignments that I have to do!). I did some Gaelic last night,
nothing too heavy. I shall continue today in earnest!

Khublei, the more resources the better, I say go for it! It would be good to see more of
an Irish presence on the board. Have you seen the Doegen Recordings website? LOTS of
recordings from all across Ireland to listen to, with transcripts to aid (the recording
quality isn't great, they were made on wax cylinders). If you're a dialect nerd like
myself it's very interesting!

Have a look here
4 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 90 of 195
12 January 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
@galaxyrocker
Good luck with all the travelling (Miami always looks amazing on Dexter ;) ). I look forward to reading your log when you eventually get some free time.

@Gosiak
Bore da! Thanks for the heads-up on your new language log, I've added it to our list on the first page now.

@Khublei
Yes, please! I always enjoy reading your posts, and the more Irish resources we can gather, the merrier. TEG.ie is a great site too, and I'm really thinking of taking one of their tests like mezzonfanti, once I've learned more Irish and returned to Europe.

@liammcg
Best of luck with your exam results, and I hope you manage to score at least a day or two off sometime during the week too. I've bookmared the Doegen Recordings before, fascinating stuff - I wonder if anything similar has been done more recently?

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 195
21 January 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I have finally had time for a bit of Irish here Sunday evening, and lo and behold, I actually think I have understood one sentence - or rather, I wrote down the steps that I had to take to properly understand one single sentence from the Irish Vicipéid. But before that I read most of a page with a much less critical attitude, and behind the once dense fog some contours of a potentially understandable language could be faintly surmised (rather than unequivocally seen).

My epic battle with that single, one and only sentence - amháin - can be seen in message 3851 of my log.

Edited by Iversen on 21 January 2013 at 12:12pm

mezzofanti
Octoglot
Australia
mezzoguild.com
Joined 4558 days ago

51 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Egyptian), Irish, Arabic (Levantine)
Studies: Korean, Georgian, French

Message 92 of 195
22 January 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Hey all.

Been really hectic the last 2 weeks and now I'm finally able to sit down and focus on
some Irish as well as catch up on the Clan Lugus goss.

The problem is it won't let me create my log - was there a deadline for doing that?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 93 of 195
22 January 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
mezzofanti wrote:

The problem is it won't let me create my log - was there a deadline for doing that?

No, there is no deadline. It could be a technical issue with the forum; if not, just
create a new thread separately and give it a title stating TAC, team name, username, and
you'll be good to go. I think the other way to do it is to go through your user profile,
hit the logbook tab, and create one that way. If you're confused, that's okay; we all
are, the forum software can be buggy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5157 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 94 of 195
27 January 2013 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have finally had time for a bit of Irish here Sunday evening, and lo and behold, I actually think I
have understood one sentence - or rather, I wrote down the steps that I had to take to properly understand one
single sentence from the Irish Vicipéid. But before that I read most of a page with a much less critical attitude, and
behind the once dense fog some contours of a potentially understandable language could be faintly surmised
(rather than unequivocally seen).

My epic battle with that single, one and only sentence - amháin - can be seen in message learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12983&PN=1& TPN=395">3851 of my log.

Very interesting to see you break down the sentence and discuss aspects of the language I would have never
thought of. Seems Liammcg answered your questions. That -faidís is the third person plural in the conditional.

And thanks for that website Liammcg, I'll check it out now.

How is everyone else getting on? Month one is almost over! How's the progress?

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4936 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 95 of 195
27 January 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
The progress in my case is painfully slow now since I need to study for my exams. Second half of February will be better.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 96 of 195
27 January 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, my progress has been marred by some unexpected private problems and obligations, so I don't have much to report. I hope though that February will become a better month for studying. Keep going, y'all!

Gàidhlig gu bràth!

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version