zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4359 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
12 December 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I am aware these languages are similar, but Im curious as to if they are in any way intelligible to one another ???

1 person has voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4425 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 2 of 4
13 December 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I think that generally speaking Thai and Lao are mutually intelligible. My Thai is good enough to follow news reports on the radio, and I tested my Lao comprehension using the audio section of Radio Free Asia’s Lao service. I chose a random story (link below) and found I could get the gist very easily, although some of the details eluded me. Whole sentences seemed to be practically identical to Thai, for example the theme of the report, “the cutting and export of wood to Vietnam” is the same word-for-word in both languages (the Thai version would be การตัดไม้ สั่งออกไปเวียดนาม). The parts I didn’t get, for instance the name of the type of wood being exported, would likely be obvious to native speakers of Thai.

Probably the biggest hurdle for a Thai who wanted to read Lao would be learning to use Lao letters. There are books about Lao for Thais that give a summary of the alphabet, then introduce parallel Lao/Thai texts at an adult level, with a few notes to cover the discrepancies. So, Thai people can really hit the ground running if they want to learn Lao. Intelligibility is definitely much greater than for instance that between/among Mandarin, Cantonese, Teochew or other Chinese “dialects”.

The tones in Lao differ a bit from those in Thai – Lao has two falling tones, Thai only has one, and the level tones don’t always match up – what is a low tone in Lao may be a high tone in Thai or vice versa. But the systems are parallel, and this doesn’t seem to impede comprehension that much.

Other Tai languages are also generally pretty similar to these two, although intelligibility would be less. Shan (spoken in Myanmar) and Zhuang (from SW China) are examples, if you look at wordlists for these languages you will find many cognates with Thai. So variation is relatively narrow within the language family as a whole, I would say.

Another factor if you know Thai and visit Laos is that most lowland Lao people (or ethnic Lao, the country also has many national minorities) have access to Thai television and are used to hearing Thai through that medium. That means you won’t encounter many problems communicating.

RFA - Lao
5 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4937 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 3 of 4
23 December 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
http://wikitravel.org/en/Lao_phrasebook
On a frame titled 'instant Lao' there is a list of the differences between the two.
I would add that 'r' can sometimes change not only to 'l' sound, but to 'h'
Thai 'rak' (to love) ▷ Lao 'hak'

1 person has voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5020 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 4
14 January 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
There is a video on this with Prof. Arguelles and a bilingual native speaker:

Lao and Thai Mutual Intelligibility

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version