United States
Joined 4214 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 25 of 38
05 January 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Привет!!

We are both on Team MIR! I hope your studies go well, and look forward to reading your log throughout the
year!
1 person has voted this message useful

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5143 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 26 of 38
08 January 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Conas tá ag éirí leat? How are you getting on? I'm making out some sheets for my students on sentence structure in
Irish. I can post them somewhere if you like when I'm done! Also thinking of making out some Anki cards.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6153 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 27 of 38
09 February 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Teango! I suppose you (just as I) have had a 'modest speed January', how is life progressing? I heard Professor Tanaka intends to give some new Samurai kanji and speaking classes for his most promising students soon, so you have a perfect opportunity to jump on the wagon if it suits your schedule! (luckily for us, Prof. Tanaka has an ocean of patience, so he will wait diligently until you are ready) :)   

As for Japanese TV-shows I can really recommend the anime Gintama. It's one of my favourites, and a lot of fun. I met some Koreans before who had really poor English skills, but we could still communicate by citing Gintama catch-phrases in Japanese! You can find a lot at Crunchyroll.com.

Hope everything is well!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 38
26 February 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Are you still alive, Teango, my friend?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4640 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 29 of 38
10 March 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Hey, Teango! Как дела and Ciamar a tha thu? Are you still there or lost in space? Haven't read anything from you for quite a long time, so it would be good to hear something about your polyglot project again. I hope you're not buried in work and don't have time for studying, that would be tragic...

さよなら!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 30 of 38
15 March 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Forgive me forum, for I have sinned, it is a questionable amount of time since my last posting... With teaching at the university and studying all hours in-between in preparation for a PhD, life's been a bit of a rollercoaster lately; minus the tracks! I also managed to break my wrist and do in my back after a fall from my scooter, but these are healing nicely now.

I plan to reboot once most of my major coursework and assignments are submitted, and am looking tentatively to the beginning of April as a new start date for my language learning on HTLAL (which should still give me a half-respectable 9 months to do what I aimed to do this year). This is just a quick update to let you know I'm alive and well, and still have my eyes set on the prize this year (goals that in reality are more like those little consolation prizes you get in a tombola raffle).

I wish all my companions in Team Lugus and Team Mir an extra boost of strength to push on forwards through to Easter with their language learning programmes in the meantime, as well as loads of motivation and breakthrough moments to all my other readers.

@Expugnator
Thanks for the good wishes, and best luck to you too! I'd be really happy if I manage to level up in Russian this year (*looking hopefully up to the heavens*).

@fabriciocarraro
It looks like your Russian is going from strength to strength. Is it time already for us to switch to speaking Russian with our better halves? ;) I tried to find our team on reddit by the way but couldn't find anything...

@Kerrie
Courage in numbers, that's what I say! Sometimes I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew this year though (lol).

@Toffeeliz
Mahalo for the good wishes learning Pidgin. I'm listening to Bradajo at the moment (Jozuf Hadley - a well-known Pidgin poet here from Kaua'i)...he get one jammin' voice fo' talk story.

@Wort
Danke für dein freundliches Angebot. Es gibt nicht so viele Deutsche hier in Hawai'i, aber in diesem Semester, fand ich endlich einen Stammtisch in der Universität. :)

@Emme
Thanks for your lovely comment *blush*. I enjoy writing about my language learning experiences and am so glad to hear that others find a ray of sunshine in my little missives.

@Bbcatcher08
Happy to be on the same team together this year. Удачи в достижении твоих целей!

@Khublei
Tá mé go maith, go raibh maith agat! Those sheets on sentence structure sound very tempting, maybe you could share a link on the Team Lugus thread (apologies if you have already, I'm still catching up on all the posts I've missed). :)

@M. Medialis
Prof. Tanaka's patience and wisdom knows no earthly bounds. I must make good on my initial good intention, follow in the footsteps of the kanji ronin, and return to help save the village from mountain bandits and other ungrammatical rapscallions. Maybe only then will I be able to make amends for falling asleep over koohii latte and curry pans in his class. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for Gintama and sign up for some lessons at the university.

@tarvos
Still alive and kicking like a disgruntled Bubba Ho-Tep! I see you've been keeping the home fires burning and making good progress mate. I really like the fact that you share your thoughts in several languages. I haven't quite summoned up enough courage to do this yet in Russian, as I can only imagine myself being taken out by a Spetsnaz grammar sniper.

@Josquin
Tha mi gu math, tapadh leat! Ciamar a tha thu fhèin? I've been in cryogenic stasis for the last couple of months, but seem to have survived the big freeze intact (time to warm up the brain cells with a cup of tea now). Congratulations on your 1,000th post, and great to see you writing in multiple languages too!

Edited by Teango on 16 March 2013 at 4:05am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 31 of 38
20 March 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Spetsnaz grammar snipers are the least of my troubles. It's those V2 rockets blowing up near me that do my head in every time.

And 9 months is still a helluvalotoftime!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4593 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 32 of 38
02 April 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Teango, I know it's late in the game, but I wanted to extend my good wishes for a
bountiful year on the Russian space station Mir, and on the rocky shores of Lugus.
Brilliant introduction (your writing style is always so inspiring), and I especially
enjoyed the origins of your name. I always thought it meant to "tango with languages" :)
But I'm all for the other two! (I particularly enjoyed Medialis's interpretation:)) I've
been out, too, but hope that April will be the turn around for me. And I'm adding German
and Spanish to the mix (for PhD purposes as well as personal interest in the languages).

Good luck, Teango, and may this year carry you safely to your long-loved Irish shores and
your Russian spaceship destination :)

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version