United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 33 of 38
07 April 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much, Woodsei! I think April, with all its hopeful spring abundance, will help us both turn over a new leaf in our studies. It's interesting to see you're also adding German and Spanish to the pot...do you plan on reading articles in these languages for your PhD?
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 34 of 38
07 April 2013 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I plan to add a TAC update here at the end of each month, and post ongoing weekly updates on 10 Minutes a Day. So far, the first week getting back into study has gone quite smoothly...

Edited by Teango on 07 April 2013 at 3:15am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4592 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 35 of 38
10 April 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Yep, read articles and books in both, as well as in some of the languages I'm currently
studying. I'm up for the challenge, even though I have to admit, it's a little
frightening T_T

Enjoying you "10 minutes a day" log!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 36 of 38
10 April 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see you here, Teango!

С возвращением!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 37 of 38
13 August 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Ok, it's confession time.

Teaching at university whilst also studying towards a PhD in a new country this year has proved to be quite a challenge. And I must confess, with head hung low, that I've barely scratched 40 hours of language study and immersion for the TAC over this difficult period.

I tried to reboot in April, but with so many other priorities screaming for my time, these good intentions fell over their own feet. The truth is I prioritised my students over everything else, and feel happy in this decision, especially as many of them graduated this year and personally emailed me lots of positive feedback after the course.

Then I fell again, only this time I "fell ill", and ended up having to battle against this throughout the summer break. I'm still recovering and am really quite exhausted. Yet despite the hurdles, I remain positive. I've regrouped and thought carefully about my language learning strategies for the remainder of the year (just 20 weeks to go now), and in particular, how I can try and balance a new language learning schedule with the demands of teaching, academic duties, and graduate studies.

I'm still very much committed to the idea of studying 10 minutes a day in multiple languages, and will try again to post weekly updates on my "10 Minutes a Day" log. Although in all fairness, I think I should rename the thread "15 minutes a day", as I'd ideally like to include vocabulary reviews at the start of each study session as well.

Here's a very brief summary of where I'm up to, and some of the things I've managed to achieve so far this year:

German (3.9h)
- chatted a little bit in German with a friendly work colleague, as well as indulging in a Grillfest hosted by the University German Club.

Russian (5.4h)
- currently enjoying a new comedy series called "Кухня", focusing on the extra-culinary antics of Russian chefs and cooks.

French (2.5h)
- spent a lot of time trying to get access to French tv programmes whilst living in the US (not as easy as I first thought).

Irish (4.6h)
- watched a good few hours of TG4 (I'm always so impressed with the quality of their tv programmes!), whilst dusting off a few Buntús Cainte lessons.

Japanese (9.1h)
- practiced a few phrases at my favourite local sushi restaurant, and spent some time reacquainting myself with kana on the iPad.

Pidgin (2.0h)
- cut the breeze with locals, and attended a meeting hosted by "Da Pidgin Coup".

Hawaiian (2.2h)
- listened to native Hawaiian singers whilst out in the touristy side of town, and started "Learn Hawaiian at Home".

Ancient Egyptian (6.5h)
- managed to get a quarter of the way through Assimil’s “L’Égyptien hiéroglyphique”.

Good luck to everyone else who's still pushing forwards in the TAC, especially to any fellow travellers in teams "Lugus" and "Mir".

Edited by Teango on 14 December 2013 at 2:52am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 38 of 38
17 December 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
End-of-year Summary

My 2013 was a frenzied blur of teaching classes at university whilst simultaneously studying like a madman for PhD. In short, it was a very tough year. Given a mere eighty stolen hours or so netted for language study, it was more a matter of starting or lightly maintaining my chosen languages for this year's TAC. I learnt a lot about Pidgin (Hawaiʻi Creole English), which I continue to work on for a phonology project on intonation, and enjoyed chatting in German with one of my work colleagues from time to time. I'm also warming up to the idea of switching over to Russian at home on a more regular with my ever patient wife, although I still find myself at the speaking level of an exceptionally tall toddler. :)

I had a lot of fun as a member of both Clan Lugus and Team Mir in 2013, and am looking forward to joining old friends and new members as a member of the successors to these teams for the 2014 TAC. Despite increased responsibilities next year, I'm still hoping to manage my time better and make the very best go of it (especially if Father Christmas brings me that time machine I asked for), and I'd like to shout out a big "thank you" to all my teammates, friends, and visitors to this blog, who supported me throughout my journey this year. I hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year's celebrations, and realise all your hopes and goals in 2014!

Edited by Teango on 18 December 2013 at 12:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version