flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 204
19 December 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
I vote for keeping it at the current 15, with (as per the original guidelines posted by Brun Ugle) the future
option of adding another five if a third Romance Team has fewer than five members.

Edited to add: Re-reading at the new guidelines:

Quote:
Each team may set its own limit as to how many members it wants as a maximum and inform me of that
limit. When that team reaches 5 less than its maximum, I will start a new team. The reason for this is that if only
a few people sign up after that point, they can be moved over to the old team without that team going over its
limit, and if more than a few new people sign up, they will have enough people to have their own team. You may
choose infinity as your limit, but I still wish to be informed. Otherwise I will assume you wish to keep the old limit
of 15-20.

It may be that we all wish/ end up with the same thing, in practical terms.

Edited by songlines on 19 December 2012 at 12:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4447 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 58 of 204
19 December 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
I think a hard limit of 20 would be good. But I am fine with 15, too, really. 15 - 20 is a good size, I think.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 204
19 December 2012 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
I think a hard limit of 20 would be good. But I am fine with 15, too, really. 15 - 20 is a good
size, I think.

Sorry, Tastyonions - I edited my post. For those who hadn't caught the old version, I was asking those in the "20"
camp if they were thinking of "20" as a "hard" limit, or if they were open to more members after that.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 60 of 204
19 December 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
I think 20 should be the max, regardless. That's not counting Cristina and emk, though.

I anticipate there will be more late-comers, so maybe we should let a third team start. Once we get closer to the end of the year and see.. It's also possible the Spanish and French teams could merge with a Romance 3 team. Plus, the first Romance team has lost members since it closed.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 61 of 204
19 December 2012 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Yes, if we want a hard limit of 20, we really need to "close" the team now at 15. If 0-5 new people join (in the
nascent team 3), then we'll absorb them and all is well. If 6+ new people join, then we'll have a team of 15 and a
team of 6+, and all is well (or at least well-ish). If we instead try to take people up until 20 and then shut things
down with a hard limit, we could end up with a team of 20 and a team of 1 (or 2, or 3), and we'll be compelled to
start moving people around again out of fairness, and we've seen how quickly that can get ugly.

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4464 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 62 of 204
19 December 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Yes, if we want a hard limit of 20, we really need to "close" the team now
at 15. If 0-5 new people join (in the nascent team 3), then we'll absorb them
and all is well. If 6+ new people join, then we'll have a team of 15 and a team of 6+,
and all is well (or at least well-ish).

It makes sense to me.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 63 of 204
19 December 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
We will close the team then, and stick with the group we have. If garyb and WoofCreature want to join us, I will leave that option open, though. (I invited garyb to join our team already, and he is deciding what he wants to do.)

For those of you who haven't introduced yourself on our team thread, I encourage you to do so. :)

Edited by Kerrie on 22 December 2012 at 12:00am

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4447 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 64 of 204
19 December 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I guess I signed up without introducing myself.

I'm 28 years old, I'm a computer science student, and I've been learning French for a little less than a year. I've never been serious about achieving a high skill level in any language before this year. I started Assimil a few months ago, but before that I was mostly learning through whatever I could find for free on the Internet (mostly LingQ and French In Action). Nearly all my knowledge of French so far is passive, so one of my main goals for the TAC 2013 is to increase my active skills through speaking practice, Anki, Assimil active phase, and eventually some language exchange.

I hope that by the end of the year I'll be able to have some conversations without too much stuttering, hesitation, or long pauses searching for words, and to have a pronunciation that at least doesn't impede understanding. To this end, I am going to make at least one recording every day and post it in my TAC thread, starting out at the very modest pace of one sentence per day.

Good luck to all my fellow team members!

Edited by tastyonions on 19 December 2012 at 3:22pm

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version