Groupie
United States
Joined 4736 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 1 of 19
14 December 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
This will be my TAC 2013 log for Team Schnitzel. I hope to make it through the whole year!

Anyway, I decided to do a quick analysis of my skills on the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/gauge/). Yeah, I know there's wiggle room with results, but here are the findings. I'm surprised my reading is low, but then again I'm still trying to remember all the verb conjugations.

Beginner

Reading 75%
Writing 79%
Listening 100%
Speaking 100%
Overall 89%

Post-Beginner

Reading 75%
Writing 26%
Listening 52%
Speaking 49%
Overall 51%

I hope to take the same test again (adding more levels) in about three months and see where I am.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 19
14 December 2012 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Hi Elsinore13,

Wie geht es dir? I just wanted to say good luck with your studies! What learning materials are you using?

Sunja

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 3 of 19
18 December 2012 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Was für eine großartige Idee. Danke für den Link.

Viel Glück!

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4736 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 

Message 4 of 19
23 December 2012 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
Danke. Ich bin gut.

As for materials, well that's a bit sticky for me. Right now I'm am going to work through Living Language intermediate. I was thinking of this: http://www.amazon.com/German-Is-Fun-Book-One/dp/0877205809/r ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356233162&sr=8-1&keywords=German+is+f un
to get for the project.

Problem is I can read (or at least understand) much better than I can speak or write and I tend to skim past the exercises because I deem them "simple". However, this is where I need to park myself. I can read something and tell you what is going on. But is the event happening in the past or going to happen? Yeah, I couldn't tell you that. So, I definitely need to rehash the basics. The challenge is for me is stay with the basics and not be tempted to pick up an Asterix book for a hour!

So, I need to make myself slow down and drill my basics.

One of my goals for 2013. But one for sure is to go to my German Language Meetup. I mean I've been on their email list for THREE years and haven't gone to one event. So pathetic. I really need to make it my goal to get out there and start speaking even it is only to say "Hallo".

I look forward to this challenge and hope that I can finally level up properly!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5845 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 19
23 December 2012 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
I'm also discovering that I have to go over all the beginning French stuff. It's boring and there's nothing new or fun about it, but it's the only I can "cement" the language so I can use it without thinking abou it. I've never tried a Language Meetup. What's that like?

Elsinore13 wrote:
Danke. Ich bin gut.
-----) mir geht es gut.

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4736 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 

Message 6 of 19
23 December 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I've never tried a Language Meetup. What's that like?

Elsinore13 wrote:
Danke. Ich bin gut.
-----) mir geht es gut.

@Sunja - thank you for the correction! In regards to the Meetups it can vary from group to group. The list I am on seems to have group activities at least once a month. Some past activities was a wine tasting/movie at a local winery. Some are a distinct German theme, ex local German Christmas Market or a German American Festival. The point is that you speak German within the group, however, if you're shy you can just sit there and listen. The group is very open to new members, but I need to stop being a chicken and just show up!

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4505 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 7 of 19
23 December 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Hallo, Elsinore13! Wie geht's?

Well, you're not alone at reviewing basic stuff... recently I found myself forgetting very simple things, but we all shall level up this year. Good luck. :)

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4271 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 8 of 19
26 December 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Elsinore13. Don't worry about being worse at a particulary skill while you are better at the others. I think it's normal in learning a new language. What you may have is putting a bigger effort and workload there in order to make amends.

As for me, I'll be not reviewing but learning the 'simple stuff' :).

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version