Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 1 of 167
15 December 2012 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
The team in 2013 and 2014 for those interested in studying Turkish* (List of free learning resources online)

The team's name is Yürükler.

The team's motto is Türkçeye giren terler.

"Rules"

1) Each member is responsible for his/her own log. It's not important if he/she creates a new log solely for entries pertaining to TAC in a given year or uses an existing one. The point is to study the target language(s) and when helpful or possible cooperate with the rest of the team. This thread may be used to post information relevant for the group or updates on one's progress as noted in the individual log.

2) Each member may dabble in any language as desired or even change the main target language(s) during the year as long as at least one target language is Turkish*

3) Each member may join other teams without losing membership here. One only needs to be studying at least Turkish* to be on this team.

* This team's scope may expand to the Turkic languages if there will emerge instances where a current or future member takes on lesser-known Turkic languages.

Roster for 2014 (as of Jan. 1, '14)

Anya: Turkish

Chung: Turkish (possibly Azeri sometime in the second half of the year)

espejismo: Turkish [observer]

kanewai: Turkish

MithradatesG: Turkish

Othar: Turkish

renaissancemedi: Turkish

SolfridCristin: Uzbek (observer)

solka: Turkish

t1234: Turkish

Roster for 2013 (as of Jan. 30, '13)

Anya: German, Hungarian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Sanskrit, Spanish, Turkish

CaucusWolf: Arabic, Turkish

Chung: Finnish, Hungarian, Northern Saami, Polish, Slovak, Turkish, Ukrainian (possible dabbling in at least one of Azeri, Mongolian or Uzbek)

fireballtrouble: Turkish (koruyucu melek)

kat0: Arabic (Written), Bengali, French, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

modus.irrealis: Danish, German, Russian, Spanish, Turkish

piksea: Turkish

Políglota: Farsi, French, Georgian, Italian, Russian, Turkish

sin123ned: Turkish

Edited by Chung on 13 January 2014 at 1:55am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 167
15 December 2012 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
For the team's name, apart from something associated with Turkey or the Ottoman Empire (e.g. Turkish Delight, janissaries, whirling dervishes, döner), I also thought of a few things that refer or even have a bit of fun with Turkic history.

One name could involve the arrow (Turkish ok) which would be associated with the Turkic peoples' past as equestrian nomads known for their archery. Perhaps as a bit of play on the ancient Central Asian confederation of Göktürkler ("Göktürks" or "Blue Turks"), how about Gök oklar or the "Blue arrows?"

Another one would be a bit of a play on the Turkish nationalist group Bozkurtlar or "Gray Wolves". How about the Sarı Ördekler or "The Yellow Ducks"? In contrast to the macho or menancing impression of wolves in subdued gray, ducks in their waddling goofiness and yellow plumage would have a wimpier or more genial image.

Of course, I'm open to more suggestions (and not just for the team's name!).
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 3 of 167
15 December 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
I am posting this on the main sign-up thread and on all team logs:

This is a special announcement for all teams, certain ones more than others:

-The purpose of TAC teams is to support, help and encourage each other. “All for one and one for all.” That means reading each other’s logs, and commenting them where appropriate. It also means no more bickering.

- It the future all teams will be closed upon reaching 15 members, and new teams will be formed for those languages. Should a new team only attract a few members (about 5-7 depending on the team members prior TAC experience) by the sign-up deadline (31. January 2013), they will be merged with the original team. If in the course of the year, the teams lose half their members, they may also choose to merge. Any team that already has more than 15 members will not be divided, but they will not be allowed to add new members.

- Each team is to choose a team leader by Tuesday, 18 December. Inform me of your choice by then. The leader must have prior TAC experience unless there is no such person on the team. The leader is to keep me up-to-date regarding their team.

- I have created a French team and a Spanish team. Anyone studying those languages may choose to join them if they wish. The original Romance teams will remain in existence for those who are studying other Romance languages or who are interested in multiple languages. Note that even if you are only studying French or Spanish you may choose to be on a Romance team rather than a single language team. If there is enough interest for an Italian, Portuguese or Romanian team, I will create one. However, I would like those who may be interested in such a team to gather at least 5 team members before asking me to form the team.

I am sorry to have to make these additional rules, however it is obvious that certain teams are already on the verge of falling apart and a number of more experienced TAC members have noticed this and sent me PM’s requesting that I do something

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4492 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 167
15 December 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, Chung, for starting this thread and organising our team!

I've just set up my log for the TAC (called Kat’s Turkish TAC2013).

As for the name of the team, I don't have any suggestions... I kind of like the "Yellow Ducks" - but I'll be happy with anything, let's see what the other members think about it.

I hope we are going to have a great year of learning Turkish together!

Edited by Kat0 on 15 December 2012 at 3:49pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 167
15 December 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 

I'm not going to join the team, since I have too many other languages going to commit to Turkish, but I am hoping to at least get through the Assimil course in 2013, and I will be keeping up with all the Turkish learners here.

Good luck to everyone with their studies! :)

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4306 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 167
15 December 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
As a native speaker of Turkish, I'll keep following this team while I'll be doing my own
TAC for French this year!

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5575 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 7 of 167
15 December 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Hello everybody,
Thank you, Chung, for organizing the team.
I like "Gök oklar" as the name

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5887 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 8 of 167
15 December 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 

I remember meeting a Turkish guy about 25 years ago at the tree nursery where we worked.
During the freezing winter months I taught him a little English and he taught me a
little Turkish. I can still say with total recall:
   -"You are as stubborn as a mule"
   -"Can I have a piece of bread please" / "...a glass of tea" / "...a bowl of soup" etc...
[Don't ask me to write it in Turkish, I can only say it]
Anyway I have a soft spot for Turkish; my best wishes to all the Turkish team.

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version