Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6329 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 97 of 167
20 December 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
I'd like to participate in this group in 2014. I think my Turkish is at about B2/C1. This
year I would like to read more literature in Turkish, and improve my pronunciation (get
rid of an accent).
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 98 of 167
20 December 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
I welcome you to our team. I'm sure it will be no problem. You are quite advanced and that's great.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 99 of 167
24 December 2013 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
I have my first Turkish update:
kanewai

(I hope the link works this time)

I rushed through Pimsleur, two lessons a day, and now am moving slowly through an old
Teach Yourself. I like TY, but there isn't a lot of recordings to go with it, & so
there's a risk of having a great command of grammar with a horrible accent.

I'd love any leads on good Turkish literature that you guys have! I'm nowhere near
close
to reading anything yet, but I'd like to attempt one easy book sometime in March.
Something easier than Orhan Pamuk, hopefully - he's hard enough in English.

Edited by kanewai on 24 December 2013 at 10:05pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 100 of 167
26 December 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

I rushed through Pimsleur, two lessons a day, and now am moving slowly through an old
Teach Yourself. I like TY, but there isn't a lot of recordings to go with it, & so
there's a risk of having a great command of grammar with a horrible accent.

Which TY is that? Maybe we are using the same?

solka
Tetraglot
Groupie
Kazakhstan
Joined 6329 days ago

44 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, Turkish, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese

Message 101 of 167
26 December 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

I'd love any leads on good Turkish literature that you guys have! I'm nowhere near close to reading anything yet, but I'd like to attempt one easy book sometime in March.

I would suggest you to read Aziz Nesin. He writes short humorous stories and novels in a simple enough language. His 'Şimdiki çocuklar harika' was the first book I read in Turkish. It is a story in letters: a boy from Ankara moves to Istanbul (or vice versa) and then writes to his former classmate about his life, his parents and the school.
Another author I read is Ayse Kulin. Her books are about lives of Turkish people, from the 19th century onward (she has a cycle of novels, but the books can be read separately, I guess). The writing is full of dialogues, quite fast-paced and doesn't have too many obsolete words. Speaking of which, I wouldn't recommend starting with anything that's been written by people born before 1930-35, because they mostly write in a transitional language, full of old words that are not used in speech anymore, or are used only rarely.

Good luck with your studying and the trip to Turkey!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 102 of 167
27 December 2013 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
As my study efforts in 2013 will form part of the team's "output", I will reveal in brief my plans for studying Turkic languages.

I plan to start by completing "Teach Yourself Beginner's Turkish" and afterwards work through "Turkish Self-Study Course" published by FONO. I expect to take about a year to do these tasks. At this point I'm not aiming to study Turkish to the point of attaining fluency since my priority lies in doing so for Finnish, German, Hungarian, Polish and Slovak as described here. However if I become even more fascinated by Turkish while studying, I'll go beyond those two courses that I've mentioned. I already have Langenscheidt's Standard English <> Turkish Dictionary and Lewis' guide to Turkish grammar as reference material while a copy of Hugo's "Turkish in 3 Months" and textbooks from SLS, FSI and DLI are also available if I need extra punishm... er... chances to practice what I'm learning or a second opinion on some aspect of Turkish grammar that I still won't understand after having seen it in my primary set of material.

There's also a chance that I'll start dabbling in at least one other Turkic language in 2013. So far it's between Azeri (using Öztopçu's "Elementary Azerbaijani" and/or the Peace Corps' material) or Uzbek (using Azimova's "Uzbek: An Elementary Textbook"). One of Bashkir, Tatar or Kazakh is possible instead but I hesitate to commit to resources because I don't want to put more pressure on my plans (anyway, the new kit of "Colloquial Kazakh" is going for crazy money compared to other titles in the series)

Since this has been posted, I've accomplished these modest goals. I finished "TY Beginner's Turkish" in June and after a bit of a hiatus, got going with "Turkish Self-Study Course - Book 1" and "Elementary Turkish I" in August.

For 2014, I expect to continue working with both courses and at the least expect to have finished "Turkish Self-Study Course - Book 1" by the time 2015 comes. My goals for Turkish remain modest since I'm keeping the focus mainly on Finnish and Ukrainian but also to a slightly lesser degree on Polish and Slovak.

I will be quite busy in the rest of the winter and don't expect to be able to study as much as I have in the previous two years. This also means that updating my log as frequently as I have recently doesn't seem likely in the upcoming weeks.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 103 of 167
28 December 2013 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Which TY is that? Maybe we are using the same?

I think we are!

I'm actually using more FSI at the moment, mostly for the recorded dialogues and
drills. TY is better for understanding the rules, but I really need drills to drive it
in at this point.

Assimil's Le Turc finally arrived. I found a cheap, new copy at Adler's Foreign
Books - $40, versus $110 on Amazon. It looks good so far; I'll keep you all posted. I
think it will be hard to use in the 'traditional' Assimil l/r method, just because the
sentence structure is so different. It definitely dives right in; most of the words
and phrases in the first two lessons were new to me.

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4305 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 104 of 167
28 December 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Our foreign friends from college told me that they used Yeni Hitit 1-2-3 series
during their preparatory class. I had a chance to have a look on those books and to
listen to their audio recordings, I can say they are great books like German's Schritte,
Themen; French's Alter Ego, Taxi!, Spanish's Aula Internacional, Prisma series.

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version