Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 124 of 167
22 January 2014 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
I'd like to share my frustration here, in the hope of getting some advice.

I finished the TY (1989) first chapter, or rather I decided to finish it, because the knowledge is not properly in my head yet. I did the exercises with the suffix table in front of me, because I have a hard time remembering them.

Now, I took one look at the second chapter, and it's more of the same. How on earth am I supposed to process all that information? I know it's a matter of drilling and practice. Is that why everyone suggests FSI?

Anyway, I have a lot of faith in TY, but less so in myself. The only thing I can think of is to do an FSI chapter and then revisit the TY first unit. And so on... In the hope of allowing the info to settle in my head.

Aman...
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 125 of 167
22 January 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
I'd like to share my frustration here, in the hope of getting some advice.

I finished the TY (1989) first chapter, or rather I decided to finish it, because the knowledge is not properly in my head yet. I did the exercises with the suffix table in front of me, because I have a hard time remembering them.

Now, I took one look at the second chapter, and it's more of the same. How on earth am I supposed to process all that information? I know it's a matter of drilling and practice. Is that why everyone suggests FSI?

Anyway, I have a lot of faith in TY, but less so in myself. The only thing I can think of is to do an FSI chapter and then revisit the TY first unit. And so on... In the hope of allowing the info to settle in my head.

Aman...

This is one problem that I've heard of when it comes to TY Turkish. Each chapter puts out a lot of material which could overwhelm people in addition to picking up the pace further in the second half of the course See here for comments.

When it comes to learning aspects of a language gradually, drilling can work in Turkish when the drills focus on a very small number of "new" elements be they suffixes, particles of concepts. Your mind doesn't get overwhelmed with new information in a given chapter. On the other hand, it's very easy to burn yourself out with drills if you do them for too long. My threshold for drilling when studying is about 20 minutes per hour. My mind starts to wander if I go longer than that.

I'm using Elementary Turkish and Turkish Self-Study Course and I find that the combination works fairly well. The former is similar to the typical TY course with a few dialogues and a lot of new grammar introduced in each chapter, while the latter is closer to a FSI course with very little introduced in the way of new grammar in each chapter, but backed up by a fair number of drills. What's more is that even though I'm on chapter 16 of Turkish Self-Study Course 1 (out of 33), a lot of the grammatical "meat" of the exercises comes from content in earlier chapters (specifically the use of the interrogative particle mi/mı/mu/mü and the syntax inherent by using var). My progress in Turkish Self-Study-Course is almost glacial given the number of chapters completed but it's good to do exercises where I find that I have a rather high chance of getting the right answer on the first try because they're only slightly different or only slightly more difficult than those of the previous chapter.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 126 of 167
22 January 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
This was extremely helpful. Thank you Chung!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 127 of 167
23 January 2014 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
An update

I switched from TY to FSI, and so far I don't regret it at all. I will keep reading TY because it is good, but I will try to let the information sink in gradually. While learning how to use turkish in dialogue from FSI. There is also a lot of vocabulary between them, which I will pay a lot of attention to.

Thanks again Chung.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 128 of 167
23 January 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Good luck on the combo! I actually find the grammar explanations easier in TY, and the
drills better in FSI. They seem to work well together. At least in the beginning!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version