4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 33 of 167
28 December 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Przemek wrote:
Hoş bulduk!

Could you please adjust my language list to: Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), French,
Hindi, Italian, Portuguese, Swahili and Turkish. These are the languages in which I
register my progress.

Teşekkürler
Selamlar

Zaktualizowano
1 person has voted this message useful

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6257 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 34 of 167
28 December 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Dziękuję

modus.irrealis
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 5660 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, Greek*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Danish, Turkish

Message 35 of 167
05 January 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Hey,

I just joined Team Yürükler and wanted to post and introduce myself to the group. I'm
modus.irrealis and I've been studying Turkish for a long time now, and I'm roughly at an
intermediate stage where I can struggle through texts (although I still have to rearrange
more complicated sentences if I want to understand them). But I've been finding it hard
to progress lately because I can't find a lot of material at my level, and most things
are frustratingly hard. So here's hoping being part of this team will help me out.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6938 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 36 of 167
06 January 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Update for Finnish, Hungarian and Turkish

daristani
United States
Joined 6926 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 37 of 167
06 January 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Modus irrealis:

It sounds as if you've reached the point where Turkish, which can seem surprisingly easy in the early stages, sometimes ratchets up greatly in difficulty due to the lengthy and often convoluted sentences that mark a lot of formal writing.

Be advised that some of the problems you encounter may result simply from poor writing: Having done a lot of Turkish translation, I can't count the number of times I've struggled with paragraph-long sentences that don't seem to hang together right, and then realized that in fact they weren't grammatical. A particular problem with such sentences is that some writers will start out intending to write a sentence in the active voice and then use a passive verb at the end, or vice versa.

But rather than just pontificate, I wanted to point out a couple of resources that might help, particularly in developing reading skills.

One is the "Turkish Newspaper Reader" published by Dunwoody Press, for which audio is also available separately.
http://www.dunwoodypress.com/products/-/114
Essentially, it consists of 36 newspaper articles of gradually increasing length and difficulty, as well as vocabularies and English translations. I never used it myself, since I had already struggled through this point by the time it was published, but I think it could be very useful for someone seeking to develop reading competency in formal prose.

An even more advanced book, although harder to find, is the "Advanced Turkish Reader: Texts from the Social Sciences and Related Fields" by Andreas Tietze, which was published in 1973 by the Indiana University Uralic and Altaic Series.   It consists of reading selections from academic texts, much longer than the texts in the newspaper above, and grammatical notes and an end vocabulary, but no English translations. The particular virtue of this book is that the author has taken a lot of the lengthier sentences and annotated them with a very ingenious system he developed to show the subject, parallel constructions, complementary structures, embedded elements, etc. The system is in fact quite simple to get used to (he explains it in a couple of paragraphs) and really helps a person learn to navigate the way through sentences that on first encounter would appear impossible to get the gist of.

Working through the book can be a real effort, since the articles and the sentences they're comprised of are quite long, and I'd only recommend it to people absolutely determined to develop the ability to wade through and comprehend the very highest levels of formal prose. For that group of learners, though, it's truly a godsend.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6257 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 38 of 167
08 January 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
During last week I studied unit 36 of FSI course – grammar and vocabulary as well as
audio drills. I also did units 37-38 using L-R method.

The most interesting constructions I've learnt:
-(a, ı) r … + ma + z = as soon as, immediately upon

Eve gider gitmez telefon ederim. – I will call as soon as I go home.
Kitabı okur okumaz sana veririm. – As soon as I read the book I will give it to you.
-(y)arak = as (being), by
Böyle koşarak nereye gidiyorsun? = Where are you going running like this?
Göçmen olarak Türkiye’ye gelmişler. = They came to Turkey as immigrants (reportedly).

I hope to do much more this week.

Edited by Przemek on 08 January 2013 at 1:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4306 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 39 of 167
08 January 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Przemek wrote:
During last week I studied unit 36 of FSI course – grammara and
vocabulary as well as
audio drills. I also did units 37-38 using L-R method.

The most interesting constructions I've learnt:
-(a, ı) r … + ma + z = as

soon as, immediately upon; examples:
Eve gider gitmez telefon ederim. – I will call as soon as I go home.
Kitabı okur okumaz sana veririm. – As soon as I read the book I will give it to you.
-(y)arak = as (being), by
Böyle koşarak nereye gidiyorsun? = Where are you going running like this?
Göçmen olarak Türkiye’ye gelmişler. = They came to Turkey as immigrants (reportedly).

I hope to do much more this week.

I see that you're reaching little by little the point where you'll discover the suffix
based productivity of Turkish..

I share here all verb suffixes that are used in verb-derived word production:

Suffixes that change VERBs into NOUNs

–mak, -mek ,
-ış, -iş, -uş, -üş,
-ma, -me

Suffixes that change VERBs into ADJECTIVEs

–an, -en,
-ası, -esi,
-mez, -maz,
-ar, -er,
-dık, -dik, -duk, -dük, -tık, -tik, -tuk, -tük ,
-ecek, -acak,
-miş, -mış, -muş, -müş

Suffixes that change VERBs into ADVERBs
–ınca, -ince, -unca, -ünce
– dıkça, -dikçe, -dükçe, -dukça, -tıkça, -tikçe
– dığında,   -diğinde, -duğunda, -düğünde, -tiğinde, -tığında, -tuğunda, -tüğünde
-ken ,
-r… -mez,   -r...-maz
-alı, -eli
-erek, -arak
-madan, -meden
-meksizin, -maksızın
-a…-a,   -e..-e
-ıp -ip -up -üp

VERB into NOUN section works for play - playing "ing" of English, isn't more meaning
anymore.
Suffixes in VERB into ADJECTIVE and VERB into ADVERB section give different meanings at
each. I may share later each in more detail later on demand.

Good luck! ...... or "Kolay gelsin !" as we generally prefer for studying and working
encouragements.

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6257 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 

Message 40 of 167
12 January 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi all!
I switched my TAC to individual so please remove me from the group.
I'll still be browsing your logs though

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version