Joined 4097 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 167
30 January 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
sin123ned wrote:
Hello all,

I am in the process of learning Turkish, and would like to join this team. I have only studied the language five days, so I'm a beginner, but I am putting in a lot of time and effort to learning. I have already finished several lessons on grammar. Although I don't have much vocabulary, the grammar rules make much sense to me, so I am positive I can improve greatly; especially with all the time I am dedicating. It's been 5 days, but overall I've studied a little over 20 hours. When I want something I go for it, and I really want to learn this language !
I literally became a member of this website today, so I have much to learn about it. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, as far as how to become a part of the team, and what exactly are the requirements of the team.
Thank you for your attention !

V/R
sin123ned

Hi, I'm new here as well, so welcome for both of us :))

I also would be glad to help you(or anyone) about Turkish, at least as much as I can. I don't have any social media account right now but I'm planning to be on this forum actively, because so far I liked the forum very much. So you can feel free to ask me any questions about Turkish though I'm not a member of this team. Actually I haven't even understood how this teams work yet, I'm still just trying to adjust to the forum and to learn the basic things about it.
1 person has voted this message useful

sin123ned
Triglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4095 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English, Spanish*, German
Studies: Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 167
30 January 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Murat&S,

Hello ! I think we are on the same page. I am also new here and don't really understand how the team works (If someone can give me some information, I would really appreciate it). All I know is, I saw there was a team for Turkish and since I am studying the language, I jumped in. I am currently studying and reviewing the tenses (Present, Past, and Future). I find it really fun, and very organized how all the rules are applied in this language.
At the moment I don't have questions, but I'm sure they will come up. Thanks for offering help. Whenever I have a doubt, I'll message you.

I don't know what languages you are interested in, but if you need help with Deutsch, Spanish, or English, let me know and I'll help you out to the best of my abilities.

Thank you !
2 persons have voted this message useful

Murat&S
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 4097 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes

Message 52 of 167
31 January 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
sin123ned, yes, we're definitely on the same page! But I believe we'll get it soon:)

As for the regularity of Turkish, they say it's somewhat related to the language reforms in the beginning of the past century, but I think it's also a natural attribute of our language. The main difficulty while learning Turkish though, especially when speaking, would be the difference of the sentence structure/word order for an Indo-European language speaker. I imagine it's even a greater difficulty than the agglutination. At least it was the biggest difficulty for me while learning English and I still can't speak English effectively for this reason, it's like a torment for me to change the entire thinking way backwards while trying to speak and even write in English.(or I'm just denying the fact that I'm not smart enough or I'm simply lazy)

Thanks for your help offer too, right now I'm completely undecided between Spanish and French, I think I'm gonna go for both of them eventually but I can't decide which one to begin with. Maybe you can give me an advice about this subject, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Edited by Murat&S on 31 January 2013 at 1:58pm

sin123ned
Triglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4095 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 167
31 January 2013 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Murat&S,

Yes, I agree.... the word order will not be easy. While I was learning German, the word order was killing me ! But now, I'm so used to it that sometimes I'll speak English with the German word order !!! hahaha It sounds very funny when I do.
Anyway, so far I'm understanding the lessons I've done. I am not writing very long sentences though; but I'm just a beginner.
Turkish is really fun though. I love the agglutinations.
for example:

içmeyeceğim

I find it very cool that you can take the stem of a word, the add a negation, tense, and a personal pronoun, and come up with a sentence; in this case: I will not drink !

Hopefully when I start building longer sentences, I don't find it too frustrating. But that's why I decided to join in on this website; that I can get some help :)

As for what I recommend, In my opinion Spanish would be fairly easy for you to learn. I'm sure you already have a good Spanish pronunciation, because the sounds between Spanish and Turkish are very similar. So yea, I think Spanish is a good choice, plus it's a pretty sexy language ! hahahahaha
I personally don't like french at all. The sound of it turns me off, but to each his own. It's up to you. But if you decide for Spanish, feel free to ask me anything.

Hoşça kalın !

Murat&S
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 4097 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes

Message 54 of 167
31 January 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
sin123ned,

Happy to hear that you're enjoying your learning process of Turkish. One thing you'll understand if you ever become an advanced Turkish speaker(I see you have the spirit to do so!) that Turkish is indeed a very fun language, not only for the reasons you're enjoying right now such as its grammar and logical structure but also for the almost extreme-level flexibility it carries. I really hope, one day, you'll see what I mean.

Anyway, your example of the "içmeyeceğim" word/sentence, which is nicely done btw, reminds me the long I mean very long Turkish words that are usually given as funny exemplary words to the learners of Turkish. I'm sure you've probably heard about the word that tells how we the Turkish people couldn't be able to convert someone to a Czech person :)

Here is a version of this:

*Çekoslovakyalılaştıramadıklarımızdanmışsınızcası na ---> "In such a way that like you are one of those people that we couldn't manage to convert to a Czechoslovak"

And another example:

*Muvaffakiyetsizleştiricileştiremediklerimizdenmişsinizces ine ---> "In such a way that like you are one of those people that we couldn't manage to convert to a person who makes other people unsuccessful"

Edit: I found a similar one to this in Wikipedia,

*Muvaffakiyetsizleştiricileştiriveremeyebileceklerimizdenmi şsinizcesine---> "As though you are from those we may not be able to easily make a maker of unsuccessful ones".

Second Edit: The words are whole but for some reason I can't write it as a whole, it automatically separates the letters, don't know why.

There can be even longer words structured around the word "Afyonkarahisar" which is a Turkish city name. Actually without the restriction of any loops, you can produce words with infinite length in Turkish although it is the same for all the agglutinative languages I think. Anyway, fortunately we don't use such words in daily life. I can even say that the German has more long words than Turkish in daily life. I don't know German one bit but I often see very long words on German websites etc, sure you know better about this.

And for the Spanish or French... Tavsiyen için çok teşekkür ederim :) I'm now on the verge of choosing Spanish(I can postpone studying the French to the next year). But I've never studied Spanish before therefore I know nothing about the pronunciation, but from your conjecture that I may have a good pronunciation, I assume(and hope) it's more phonetic like Turkish rather than being like French, I mean like reading some of the letters and ignoring the some or reading the same phonemes completely differently in different words etc.

Btw I feel the same about how French sounds, it's not bad at all but it's not that magical either like everyone implies. People generally don't like and dispraise how German or Arabic sounds but to me French isn't much better at all(I'm not dispraising any of them btw). Spanish on the other hand sounds like a more smooth and fluent language. But there is one thing that concerns me about Spanish; whenever I listen to the Spanish I feel like they're really speaking very very fast! I've never heard such a high tempo in other languages. I don't know if it's just me or the Spanish is really a high paced language, maybe you can say something about this.

Lastly, Türkçe çalışmalarında başarılar dilerim.

PS: I apologize everyone if this conversation isn't appropriate for this thread.

Edited by Murat&S on 31 January 2013 at 11:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sin123ned
Triglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4095 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 167
01 February 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Murat&S

You are right, this conversation is probably not for this thread, I sent you a private message, so check your inbox.

As for this thread, I have a question about Turkish.

The conjugation in Aorist uses a "Z", and I don't understand why. Example:

okumam
okumazsın
okumaz
okumayız
okumazsınız
okumazlar

Does anybody know how to explain this ? I would appreciate the help.

modus.irrealis
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 5656 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, Greek*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Danish, Turkish

Message 56 of 167
02 February 2013 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if this answers why, but what I've seen is that the aorist is different in that the negative form has its own formation (I mean not based on the positive form) and has the suffix -mAz. Also note that the mAz is accented unlike the usual negative mA. But I don't know if this is the historical explanation (it would seem like a big coincidence to me if -mAz and the usual negative -mA had no relation at all).

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version