Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 17 of 167
21 December 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
I got another idea for the team's name while scanning Wikipedia's articles related to Turkey: yürükler. The name is based on the Yörükler or "wanderers" who tend to follow a semi-nomadic way of life while living in the mountainous areas of Turkey as well parts of the Balkans. Our group's proposed name is derived from the verb yürümek meaning "to walk" (N.B. Yörükler seems to be derived from a non-standard form of the verb i.e. yörümek).

The name seems to me to have a couple of things going for it. It likens the gradual progress made in reaching a destination intrinsic in walking with the figurative one of mastering a foreign language. There's also the allusion to the Turks' (semi-)nomadic past which could as a bonus apply just as well to any of the other people who speak a Turkic language natively.
1 person has voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4318 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 18 of 167
21 December 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
When I saw Comic-strip idea, I don't know why but I directly thought about
"Karagöz ve Hacıvat"
Link is there

It's a quite funny, cultural, traditional entertainement.

"Yörükler" is really nice, how did you learn about it, Chung? It also fits with the
name of other teams, for example, Romance language team uses "Romulans" .. Yörükler is
not only suitable for Turkish learners, but also for all Ottoman-related or Turkic
languages such as Azeri, Turkmen, Kazakh, Kyrgyz..

Edited by fireballtrouble on 21 December 2012 at 8:28pm

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5587 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 19 of 167
21 December 2012 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I like "Yörükler"!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 20 of 167
22 December 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Thus far for names we have the following:

- Sarıördekler / Sarı ördekler "Yellow Ducks" (mocking reference to the (ultra-)nationalistic Bozkurtlar "Gray Wolves")
- Gökoklar / Gök oklar "Blue Arrows" (reminiscent of the Göktürkler "Celestial/Blue Turks" of the Dark Ages who spoke Old Turkic / Old Uyghur)
- Yeniçeriler "Janissaries" (per fireballtrouble's suggestion)
- Yürükler "Wanderers/Walkers" (see this post for cultural background)

There's also the matter of a motto (unless you folks don't want one). Suggestions from lyrics, proverbs?

fireballtrouble wrote:
"Yörükler" is really nice, how did you learn about it, Chung? It also fits with the
name of other teams, for example, Romance language team uses "Romulans" .. Yörükler is
not only suitable for Turkish learners, but also for all Ottoman-related or Turkic
languages such as Azeri, Turkmen, Kazakh, Kyrgyz..

The suggestion or applicability in Yörükler / Yürükler to other people who speak a Turkic language is quite attractive for the team's name (see here for the etymology of yürümek). I stumbled upon the article for Yörükler while looking for suitable Turkish cultural references that could be used for the team's name or motto. Nothing extraordinary.

I am glad that it's got a positive reception so far.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 21 of 167
22 December 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Suggestions for a motto could come from these or others:

- Türkçeye giren terler "The one who enters the Turkish language sweats"
(modified from the proverb Hamama giren terler. "The one who enters the Turkish bath sweats" (One's actions have consequences and he/she should not complain about the latter). For us there's no turning back now from Turkish and there'll be no complaining about it later (or at least in 2013) :-))
- Damlaya damlaya gol olur. "Drop by drop, a lake comes to be" (often meant to encourage financial discipline (i.e. small but frequent savings lead to wealth) but also intepretable as encouragement to work regularly toward attaining something - such as grasping Turkish)
- Bilmemek ayıp değil, sormamak ayıp "It's not a shame not to know, it's a shame not to ask" (~ Don't be afraid to ask since there are no stupid questions).

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5587 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 22 of 167
22 December 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
All the three suggestion are nice , especially first one: Türkçeye giren terler

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 23 of 167
23 December 2012 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
I'm happy that you like them :-) How about you? Do you have ideas for a name or motto?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 24 of 167
26 December 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
As my study efforts in 2013 will form part of the team's "output", I will reveal in brief my plans for studying Turkic languages.

I plan to start by completing "Teach Yourself Beginner's Turkish" and afterwards work through "Turkish Self-Study Course" published by FONO. I expect to take about a year to do these tasks. At this point I'm not aiming to study Turkish to the point of attaining fluency since my priority lies in doing so for Finnish, German, Hungarian, Polish and Slovak as described here. However if I become even more fascinated by Turkish while studying, I'll go beyond those two courses that I've mentioned. I already have Langenscheidt's Standard English <> Turkish Dictionary and Lewis' guide to Turkish grammar as reference material while a copy of Hugo's "Turkish in 3 Months" and textbooks from SLS, FSI and DLI are also available if I need extra punishm... er... chances to practice what I'm learning or a second opinion on some aspect of Turkish grammar that I still won't understand after having seen it in my primary set of material.

There's also a chance that I'll start dabbling in at least one other Turkic language in 2013. So far it's between Azeri (using Öztopçu's "Elementary Azerbaijani" and/or the Peace Corps' material) or Uzbek (using Azimova's "Uzbek: An Elementary Textbook"). One of Bashkir, Tatar or Kazakh is possible instead but I hesitate to commit to resources because I don't want to put more pressure on my plans (anyway, the new kit of "Colloquial Kazakh" is going for crazy money compared to other titles in the series)

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version