Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 73 of 236
21 April 2013 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Dialekt oder Sprache?

Laut dem Sprachforscher Norbert Dittmar kann man "Dialekte daran erkennen, dass man sie vor allem spricht und selten schreibt". Viele würden Dialekte als eine vor allem mündliche Mundart definieren, im Vergleich mit einer Sprache, die ein schriftliches System von Zeichen und Regeln enthält. Eine Standardsprache oder Schriftsprache wird in den meisten Fällen von Behörden und Einrichtungen unterstützt. Sprachen haben üblicherweise Grammatiken, Wörterbücher, Literatur und formelle Anerkennung. Es gibt aber dennoch Stämme, die keine Schriftsprache haben, aber wir würden nicht sagen, dass sie keine eigene Sprache besitzen. Welche Kriterien werden häufig benutzt, um Sprachen von Dialekten zu unterscheiden? Normalerweise weisen _ Dialekte eines oder mehrere der folgenden Merkmale auf: Sie werden nicht standardisiert, sie werden nie oder selten geschrieben, sie werden niedriger als eine Standardsprache geachtet, und der Bevölkerung, die einen Dialekt spricht, fehlt oft ein selbständiger Staat. Eine Gruppe, die eine unabhängige Sprache spricht, wird öfter als ein Volk betrachtet, im Vergleich mit einer Untergruppe, die "nur" einen regionalen oder schlichten Dialekt spricht. Max Weinrich, ein Akademiker der Jiddisch studiert, unterstrich die sozialen und politischen Untermauerungen zwischen den Ausdrücken, als er schrieb: "Eine Sprache ist ein Dialekt mit einer Armee und einer Marine."

"Laut" as a preposition is constructed with the dative: "Laut dem Sprachforscher", but in this case a verb was missing, so I changed the sentence. "Mündliche Mundart" sounds a bit odd, but I couldn't think of a better alternative.
"Fehlen" is constructed differently from English "to miss". In English, you say "I miss something", while in German you say "Mir fehlt etwas", so the thing that is missing is the subject, while the person who misses something is the dative object.
3 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 74 of 236
22 April 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
@Josquin: thank you as always for your corrections and helpful explanation.

Weekly update: Progress continues. I'm so happy to be able to use my ipod to simultaneously enjoy activities in great Spring weather while listening to interesting podcasts auf Deutsch. I've become somewhat obsessed with the music of the Comedian Harmonists after seeing a film about them.
In the last couple of weeks, I've seen a noticeable improvement in speed, both in the passive skills of reading and ability to comprehend. I believe it is due to the large volume of content, which others on this site have repeatedly mentioned as important, so nothing new there, but a confirmation of the wise advice of fellow language learners. At times it does feel like drinking from a firehose (or maybe like surfing a Tsunami wave), but it is so satisfying to see actual progress. The active skills are still lagging for now and will always be weaker, but as the old joke goes:
Q. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? A. Practice, practice, practice!

1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5138 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 75 of 236
22 April 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Great to hear that you are making such great progress! I suppose we are always making
progress as we study, but as we often are unaware of it (omg, I actually struggled with
the word order in this sentence, where does the time adverbal go?! There's been too much
German lately :P), it's always nice to really be able to see it! And as you said, active
skills always take longer, but the better our passive skills become, the more we can take
in and convert to active skills ;)

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 76 of 236
29 April 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Woot! I have completed my Super Challenge of 100 books and 100 films (mostly audiobooks in my case, but a fair number of films as well). I started this last June and thought it was insane at the time, but just kept chipping away at it.
If anyone is thinking of doing a challenge, definitely go for it. Even if you don't complete it, you'll benefit. I have revisited materials from even 6 months ago and can thereby see the progress made, which is not always readily apparent in the dreaded Intermediate Plateau, where frustration is the usual emotion...
2 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4660 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 77 of 236
29 April 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Congratulations! That sounds like quite an effort. :)

What kind of books/films were you reading/watching? Any recommendations?

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5138 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 78 of 236
30 April 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Great job! That's a really big challenge! Congratulations! :)

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 79 of 236
06 May 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Thanks! The challenge wasn't really 100 full books. A "book" is 100 pages or 200 pages if it was a kid's book. I actually did read a fair amount of kid books...
As far as recommendations go, a few that stood out were the series Im Angesicht des Verbrechens and Berlin Alexanderplatz. The classics such as M, Der Blaue Engel were good, as well as modern well-known films such as Baader-Meinhof Complex, Das Leben der Anderen, Das Weiße Band, etc. I really got into audiobook/book combos such as Die Stadt der Träumenden Bücher, Scherbenpark, Der Malteser Falke, Der kleine Nick...I read a lot of books without audio as well. I think the best is to just read widely and a lot, to widen exposure to language: indirect speech, 2nd person ihr, underworld, regional or immigrant slang. A lot of my reading was based on what was available at the library. LOL. Der, Die oder Was? was about an American learning German and moving to Germany, so that was funny and interesting, but hard for me to read at that point.

This week: focused on grammar study. Enjoying German content is becoming just part of my life, which is great...but I don't know if it leads to improvement, since it doesn't feel like "work"?

Edited by BAnna on 06 May 2013 at 7:20am

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 80 of 236
14 May 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Gestern könnte ich meinen Beitrag nicht schreiben wegen Muttertag. Letzte Woche habe ich viele Übungen gemacht und viele Post geschrieben. Meine Skype-Partnerinnen hatten Feiertage und deshalb haben wir länger als üblich gesprochen. Eine der Frauen spricht kaum Englisch und sie wollte nur Deutsch sprechen für fast zwei Stunden. Am Ende war ich todmüde. Ich habe sie mehrmals gefragt ob sie Englisch sprechen wollte, aber sie ständig erwiderte, dass sie die Feiertage genießen wollte. haha. Nächstes mal, sollen wir unbedingt Englisch sprechen. Nachdem ich mit ihr gesprochen hatte, fragte mein Mann mich iregendetwas und ich habe ihn auf Deutsch beantwortet. Das war aber lustig. Es war nicht so lustig, für mich zumindestens, als ich eine Mail in der Arbeit falschgeschrieben habe: You "schould" do this... And I keep wanting to capitalize all the Nouns. Oh je!

I found a used CD of the musical Les Miserables in German and have been listening to it. The enunciation is quite clear, except for the chorus.

Off to read some more Team Schnitzel logs. It's good to see some people back and giving updates as to what they've been doing. Viel Spaß beim Lernen!

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version