Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 113 of 236
06 January 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
@Fuenf–Katzen, thanks for the kind words. I wasn't sure if I was going to continue logging, but here I am again...

@milesaway, thanks for the encouragement. From what I have read on this site, Russian requires a lot of work
but is very much worth it.

Sunday, January 5 Update

Overall Summary: Spending roughly 30 minutes a day on beginning Russian, about twice that or sometimes more
on Spanish and German. In Spanish: working on improving my reading vocabulary and grammar, but don't count
casual time using Spanish as study (talking to family, watching a soccer game or the news, etc).   In German:
primarily enjoying native content, but also trying to get in some grammar work; otherwise it just seems like too
much fun. No skype conversations this week due to the holidays, but those will resume starting next week. I'm
also back to work this coming week, so I won't have as much time available to study, but my one goal for 2014 is
to spend a minimum of 20 minutes every single day each on the three languages I am studying. Sounds easy,
but time will tell...

Deutsch
Ich habe mit dem Hörbuch angefangen, und ich finde es nicht so schlimm als ich es mir vorgestellt hatte. Diese
Woche habe ich einen sehr melodramatischen Film über eine spielsüchtige Frau, ein Interview mit Eugen Ruge
und einen Kinderfilm, Der kleine Muck, angeschaut. Gestern habe ich verschieden Artikeln in Der Zeit gelesen.
Einer hatte mit einem beliebten Ratgeberbuch zu tun: Die Frau als Hausärztin. Millionen von Ausgaben dieses
Buches wurden von 1901 bis 1993 verkauft. Die Autorin war eine Ärztin, die traditionelle Arznei sehr kritisierte.
Sie empfahl vegetarisches Essen und erklärte wie man Verhütungsmittel benutzen könnte. Das Grammatik-
Thema dieser Woche war Fürwörter.   

Español
He leído las primeras 40 y pico páginas de Óscar Wao. El jueves estaba en la biblioteca y encontré el audiolibro
también. Así que puedo escucharlo cuando estoy viajando al trabajo. Al mismo tiempo, vi una copia de Don
Quijote para Jóvenes que me llamó la atención. Lo saqué y pasé la mayor parte de los dos días siguientes
leyéndolo. Me gustó mucho y aprendí algunas palabras sobre la montura de caballos.   ¿Porqué estoy siempre
tan atraída a palabras inútiles? Jamás necesitaré palabras como riendas ni espuelas, pero me intrigan. También
me ha dado cuenta de que no tengo ni la menor idea de como se usa el subjuntivo. Y escribir en español es
también algo que casi nunca he hecho. Así que tengo todavía mucho que aprender. La próxima vez que estoy en
la Biblioteca, voy a sacar un libro sobre gramática española. Sé que puedo hablar Spanglish sin problemas, pero
me gustaría mejorar mis habilidades en el uso correcto del idioma español verdadero.

Русский
I am taking a break from Pimsleur for a while, but will probably come back to it. It was not helpful to my learning
the alphabet or very basic words. I'm not sure about learning exclusively by audio. It's nice to actually see the
words in written form, but then again, the book I currently use has no audio at all, which also is problematic. I
am still working on reading and writing Cyrillic, and just started a video series designed for high school students
on youtube. It's called Russian World and there are a number of levels. The teacher has a combination of a
Russian and a Texan accent. It is extremely basic, but that is exactly what I need right now. The teacher
pronounces the words over and over and demonstrates how to write the letters in cursive. It does make me feel
somewhat like a not very bright child, but in Russian, even a 2 year old could school me, so that's ok. It's fine for
me to have modest goals, especially when taking first steps :) I'm learning a fair amount of new words in
addition to the written and printed alphabet, but most of them are cognates in another known language at this
point except for лето and зима, the words for summer and winter respectively.

1 person has voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 114 of 236
12 January 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Sunday, January 12 Update

It takes quite a long time to catch up on everyone's logs! There are really a lot of people on the Spanish and
German teams, and tons of learning happening. Bravo!   I am reading them all, but not always commenting,
though I am certainly interested in the progress being made and the different approaches people are using.

I recently started on a voluntary basis to tutor two English learners. One is a child and the other is an adult who
is only semi-literate. Both are very challenging in different ways, and working with them points out to me the
importance of recognizing the pattern of something, rather than just rote memorization. Both are impatient and
want me to give them "the answer" rather than spending the time and energy to learn the pattern that would
enable them to in future recognize the right answer for themselves. I have to remember that in my own learning
and avoid taking shortcuts, no matter how tempting that is.
Fortuitously I happened to stumble upon a website that gave me a needed boost on a day when I was feeling
overly perfectionistic. To quote from the site the surfing/">Language Surfer

"The central tenet of this website and of my personal philosophy is that languages are not something to
conquer, but something to enjoy yourself in. Yes, with the languages I’m studying, I am absolutely aware of my
proficiency level, and literacy, and vocabulary knowledge. But 'being good' is not why I study language. I study
language to get the real benefits of communication:
Making people laugh.
Expressing myself.
Appreciating novels, comic books, and song lyrics.
Understanding other people.
Keeping myself out of trouble.
Having fun."

Deutsch
Täglich habe ich irgendwelche online Zeitung gelesen, unter den Artikeln einen Deprimierenden über Waffen in
der amerikanischen Kultur. Ich war am Donnerstag sehr enttäuscht zu lernen, dass die Klasse, an der ich
teilnehme wollte, abgesagt wurde. Ich habe das Hörbuch gehört und sogar eine Kopie des Buches gefunden und
gelesen. Es hatte viele Wörter, die mit Gärten zu tun haben, z.B. Hortensien, Funkien, Ringelblume, usw. Ich bin
keine Gärtnerin und weiß nicht sogar auf Englisch wie alle die Blumen und Bäumen genannt sind, deshalb
bemühte ich mich nicht, diese Wörter auswendig zu lernen, sondern nur bemerkte ich sie wenn ich Lust hatte,
was nicht immer der Fall war. Es hatte sogar ein bisschen Plattdeutsch drin. Zuerst zweifelte ich daran, ob dieses
Buch mir gefallen würde, aber ich habe wirklich viele neue Wörter gelernt und musste Hilfe hier am Forum
gebeten (und habe es bekommen), um gewisse Wörter zu verstehen. Wie glücklich wir sind, dass wir dieses
Forum haben. Die Geschichte ist eine echte Seifenoper...nicht normalerweise mein Geschmack, aber weil ich so
viele neuen Wörter getroffen hat, bedauere ich mich nicht dieses Buch gelesen und gehört zu haben.
I think I have overreached with that last sentence: I meant to say that in spite of the melodrama, I don't regret
having read/listened to the book because of all the vocabulary it contained.

Español
Sigo leyendo Oscar Wao y escuchando al audiolibro en el bus o auto. Es chévere...como dicen la gente del caribe.
;)
Esta semana he comenzado a estudiar gramática, sobre todo el subjuntivo. Cuando veo que había puesto en mi
perfil que "hablo" en vez de "estudio" el español me siento un poco avergonzada, porque ahora que lo estoy
estudiando de verdad, me he dado cuenta que me falta todavía bastante que aprender. Por ejemplo, nunca he
usado vosotros...solo lo he escuchado en progamas españolas. Tenemos cable y recibimos programas de todo el
mundo hispano. Le gusta a mi esposo también ver programas de España y CNÑ, pero creo que no le gusta tanto
cuando le pregunto qué significa tal palabra. Por si acaso uno de Uds. todavía no hubieran leído el log de dbag,
él ha recomendado varios series, entre ellos uno que se llama Filosofía Aquí y Ahora. Es muy divertido y es de
Argentina. El log de Vos me llamó la atención a la palabra "vos", que en varios países es usado como ¿o en vez
de? "tú" y que significa lobo en holandés, según Vos. Mi esposo lo usa mucho como él es nicaragüense. Quiero
averiguar más sobre esa forma de decir tú, pero no he tenido tiempo todavía. Lo haré después de terminar de
escribir este log.

Русский
Have upped my study to almost an hour per day, a sure sign that my stamina is increasing. Have done more
Pimsleur and it is slowly sinking in, although I must admit, it did seem very odd at times to keep repeating Я
американец "I am an American man", something I would never ever say in real life, although if I were to hear
someone say that, I would switch immediately to English...hmm maybe it is good to know? It's funny that the
phrase that is sticking most in my mind is "I can understand Russian", which of course if not true at all... I am
doing the Russian World videos daily, watching things like Улица сезам (Sesame Street) and writing
out/reviewing new vocabulary words. I am very slowly becoming somewhat more comfortable reading the Cyrillic
alphabet. Writing is much more of a challenge. Unfortunately the ~20 year old Russian World videos reference a
book long out of print, Russian for Everybody, which is available by somewhat suspicious pdf download, but I
neither want to infect my computer with a virus nor spend an exorbitant sum trying to get a hardcopy. The
Dallas Schools, who put out the original series, recommends another text called Russian Face to Face, a used
copy of which I was able to find for only a few dollars, but it seems to be nothing special, but a beginning. I've
been reading the thread about Russian textbooks with interest, and have requested a few through my library so I
can test them out. I saw an interesting documentary "Three Songs about Motherland", but of course had to
completely rely on subtitles. While watching kid shows, I was able to pick out a few words, such as яблоня (apple
tree) and утка (duck) but I have a long, long way to go.   Russian is still so foreign to my ears at this point, that
listening is essential, even if very little is understood (or even nothing...). You have just not lived until you have
watched Kermit the frog speaking Russian :) His name sounds something like Kirmito (not sure?), and Grover's
voice to my astonishment sounded exactly like the American version. The German Bert and Ernie are also quite
nice and entertaining...am I entering my second childhood??? Something cool: one of my German skype partners
is studying Russian as well (although she is quite advanced, having learned it at school). If I can ever figure out
how to post images here, I'll post one of my amusing attempts to write in cursive.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 115 of 236
16 January 2014 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Deutsch

From Wordreference languages forum
an explanation of various verbs containing hören:

Hinhören sagt man wenn man jemanden auf ein Geräusch aufmerksam machen will:
Bsp: "Hör mal genau hin, da ist so ein Leises Pfeifen"

Zuhören bezieht sich meistens auf Geräusche, die Information tragen (Gespräche, Musik...) die man ohne
genaues Zuhören nicht erfassen kann.
Bsp: "Hör doch mal zu wenn ich mit dir Spreche"
"Hör mal genau zu, an der Stelle singt sie so wunderschön"

Anhören benutzt man wenn für Audienzen, oder Anliegen
Bsp: "Hör mich doch erstmal an, bevor du dich entscheidest"
"Ich habe heute eine Audienz beim König, ich hoffe er hört mich an"
Es ist allerdings ein etwas altmodischer Ausdruck, heute würde man vermutlich zuhören ähnlich verwenden

Abhören, bedeutet durch lauschen an Informationen zu kommen, das Verb impliziert meistens dass dabei
bestimmte Geräte zum Einsatz kommen:
Bsp: "Die Polizei hörte die Wohnung des Verdächtigen ab"
"Der Arzt hörte den Herzschalg des Patienten ab"

ummagumma
IrelandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5016 days ago

217 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 116 of 236
16 January 2014 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
BAnnan

Ich habe mich oft gefragt, was ist das Unterschied zwischen "zuhören" und "anhören". Ich
habe es jedoch nie in Grammatikbuch nachgelesen. Jetzt verstehe ich. Ich danke dir.

Übrigens ist es das erste Mal, dass ich "hinhören" gesehen habe. Macht Sinn. To listen
plus the directional preposition "hin". Genial, oder? Vorher habe ich "abhören" gelesen,
und konnte es von Kontext leicht schätzen.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 117 of 236
17 January 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Español

Voseo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with vosotros, the second person plural familiar form for Spanish conjugations.

Voseo (Spanish pronunciation: [boˈse.o]) is the use of vos as a second person singular pronoun, including its
conjugational verb forms in many dialects of Spanish. In dialects that have it, it is used either instead of tú, or
alongside it.

Vos is used extensively as the primary form of the second person singular in Rioplatense Spanish for Argentina,
Uruguay, Bolivia (east), and in Paraguayan Spanish, for Paraguay.

El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica also exhibit an extensive use of the vos pronoun
through the Central American Spanish dialect. Though in Northern Central America the media use tú more. In
Nicaragua and Costa Rica the use of the pronoun tú is nonexistent. In Costa Rica they rather use usted for formal
situations and vos with friends and family.

Vos had traditionally not been used in formal writing except in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. This gradually
changed in Central America, where even the most prestigious media networks and press began to use the
pronoun vos, reflecting the informal address in Spanish as opposed to the formal address of usted. Nowadays it
is very common to see billboards and other advertising media using voseo. In the dialect of Argentina, Paraguay
and Uruguay (known as Rioplatense Spanish), vos is also the standard form for use in television media.

Vos is present in other countries as a regionalism, for instance in the Maracucho Spanish of Zulia State,
Venezuela, in the Azuero peninsula of Panama, in various departments in Colombia, and in parts of Ecuador
(Sierra down to Esmeraldas). In Peru, voseo is present in some Andean regions and Cajamarca, but the younger
generations have ceased to use it. It is also present in the Ladino dialect of Spanish, spoken by Sephardic Jews
throughout Israel, Turkey, the Balkans, Morocco, Latin America and the United States where it replaces usted.

Voseo can also be found in the context of using verb conjugation of vos with tú as the subject pronoun (verbal
voseo) as in the case of Chilean Spanish where this form coexists with the ordinary form of voseo.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 118 of 236
19 January 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Deutsch

Täglich habe ich irgendwelche Online-Zeitungen gelesen, unter den Artikeln einen deprimierenden über Waffen in der amerikanischen Kultur. Ich war am Donnerstag sehr enttäuscht zu erfahren, dass die Klasse, an der ich teilnehmen wollte, abgesagt wurde. Ich habe das Hörbuch gehört und sogar eine Kopie des Buches gefunden und gelesen. Es hatte viele Wörter, die mit Gärten zu tun haben, z.B. Hortensien, Funkien, Ringelblume, usw. Ich bin keine Gärtnerin und weiß sogar auf Englisch nicht, wie alle die Blumen und Bäumen heißen, deshalb
habe ich mich nicht bemüht, diese Wörter auswendig zu lernen, sondern ich habe sie nur bemerkt, wenn ich Lust hatte, was nicht immer der Fall war. Es gab sogar ein bisschen Plattdeutsch darin. Zuerst zweifelte ich daran, ob dieses Buch mir gefallen würde, aber ich habe wirklich viele neue Wörter gelernt und musste hier im Forum um Hilfe beten (und habe sie bekommen), um gewisse Wörter zu verstehen. Wie glücklich wir sind, dass wir dieses Forum haben. Die Geschichte ist eine echte Seifenoper... normalerweise nicht mein Geschmack, aber weil ich so viele neuen Wörter gefunden habe, bedauere ich _ nicht, dieses Buch gelesen und gehört zu haben.

I think I have overreached with that last sentence: I meant to say that in spite of the melodrama, I don't regret having read/listened to the book because of all the vocabulary it contained.

Don't worry! The sentence was absolutely comprehensible. The only problems are the word order with "nicht", "getroffen" isn't the right word here, and you shouldn't use "sich bedauern" here. You can use "bedauern" without reflexive pronoun though. "Sich bedauern" means "to pity oneself", while "bedauern" means "to regret".

Ich habe sogar ein neues deutsches Wort gelernt: Funkie! Das hatte ich noch nie gehört. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 119 of 236
19 January 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Deutsch

Ich habe mit dem Hörbuch angefangen, und ich finde es nicht so schlimm, wie ich es mir vorgestellt hatte. Diese Woche habe ich einen sehr melodramatischen Film über eine spielsüchtige Frau, ein Interview mit Eugen Ruge und einen Kinderfilm ("Der kleine Muck") angeschaut. Gestern habe ich verschiedene Artikel_ in Der Zeit gelesen. Einer hatte mit einem beliebten Ratgeberbuch zu tun: "Die Frau als Hausärztin". Millionen von Ausgaben dieses Buches wurden von 1901 bis 1993 verkauft. Die Autorin war eine Ärztin, die traditionelle Medizin sehr kritisierte. Sie empfahl vegetarisches Essen und erklärte, wie man Verhütungsmittel benutzen kann. Das Grammatik-Thema dieser Woche war Fürwörter.

"Arznei" is an old-fashioned word. It's better to say "Medizin" here.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 120 of 236
19 January 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Deutsch

From Wordreference languages forum
an explanation of various verbs containing hören:

Hinhören sagt man, wenn man jemanden auf ein Geräusch aufmerksam machen will:
Bsp: "Hör mal genau hin, da ist so ein leises Pfeifen."

Zuhören bezieht sich meistens auf Geräusche, die Informationen tragen (Gespräche, Musik...), die man ohne genaues Zuhören nicht erfassen kann.
Bsp: "Hör doch mal zu wenn ich mit dir spreche."
"Hör mal genau zu, an der Stelle singt sie so wunderschön."

Anhören benutzt man _ für Audienzen oder Anliegen
Bsp: "Hör mich doch erstmal an, bevor du dich entscheidest."
"Ich habe heute eine Audienz beim König, ich hoffe er hört mich an."
Es ist allerdings ein etwas altmodischer Ausdruck, heute würde man vermutlich zuhören benutzen.

Abhören bedeutet, durch Lauschen an Informationen zu kommen, das Verb impliziert meistens, dass dabei bestimmte Geräte zum Einsatz kommen:
Bsp: "Die Polizei hörte die Wohnung des Verdächtigen ab."
"Der Arzt hörte den Herzschalg des Patienten ab."

Yeah, German prefixes can be tricky. I'd like to add that while "jdn. anhören" sounds somewhat dated, "sich etw. anhören" is a very common expression: "Ich will mir das genau anhören."

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version