Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 121 of 236
19 January 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
ummagumma wrote:
BAnna

Ich habe mich oft gefragt, was der Unterschied zwischen "zuhören" und "anhören" ist. Ich habe es jedoch nie im Grammatikbuch nachgelesen. Jetzt verstehe ich es. Ich danke dir.

Übrigens ist es das erste Mal, dass ich "hinhören" gesehen habe. Ergibt Sinn. To listen plus the directional preposition "hin". Genial, oder? Vorhin habe ich "abhören" gelesen und konnte es leicht aus dem Kontext erraten.

Edited by Josquin on 19 January 2014 at 5:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 122 of 236
19 January 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
@Josquin
Vielen Dank für die Korrekturen und Erklärungen. Sie sind sehr hilfreich.

Here is my non-literal attempt at translating the song Morgen mud ich fort von hier, trying to capture the spirit
of it more than the exact wording, and not at all matching the syllable count.
Morgen muß ich fort von hier

There are some spots I'm not that happy with, so any better ideas are very welcome. I'm not going to record
myself singing this, you should be very happy to know, but I've playing it so much that my husband has started
to learn it, and he doesn't even speak German :)

Morgen muß ich fort von hier
Und muß Abschied nehmen.
O du allerschönste Zier;
Scheiden das bringt Grämen.
Da ich dich so treu geliebt
Überalle Maßen,
Soll ich dich verlassen

Tomorrow I must leave from here
And bid you farewell.
O you most precious treasure:
Separation brings sorrow.
Since I've so faithfully loved you
Above all measure,
How am I to leave you?

Wenn zwei gute Freunde sind,
Die einander kennen,
Sonn' und Mond bewegen sich,
Ehe sie sich trennen.
Noch viel größer ist der Schmerz,
Wenn ein treu geliebtes Herz
In die Fremde ziehet.

When two are good friends,
Who know each other well,
They'd move the sun and moon
Rather than separate from each other.
So much greater is the pain,
When a faithful beloved heart
Goes out into the unknown.

Küsset dir ein Lüftelein
Wange oder Hände,
Denke, daß es Seufzer sein,
Die ich zu dir sende,
Tausend schick' ich täglich aus,
Die da wehen um dein Haus,
Weil ich dein gedenke.

When a gentle breeze kisses you
On cheeks or hands,
Think it is a sigh
That I send to you.
I'll send you a thousand of them every day,
That will blow there around your house,
As I think of you.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 123 of 236
20 January 2014 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
Jan 19 Update

Keeping up with reading the many logs and actually studying three languages while working full-time and attempting to have a satisfactory personal life has been a challenge. At one point, I had a bit of a personal meltdown. Nothing too horrible, but still...the less said about that the better. If I wrote anyone a peevish or cranky message, I'm truly sorry...
It did lead me to really think over what I want to accomplish regarding languages. Other stuff, too, but that's not for this log.
In a nutshell, I'm trying to figure out the way to best use my time and not just do busy work. I want to consistently do cognitively demanding activities that push my abilities so I can keep improving, while enjoying myself so I don't get burned out. A tall order.

I'm *still* not ready to formulate concrete goals at this point, but I do have some preliminary thoughts in that general direction.

Russian: learn to more quickly and comfortably read and write the alphabet, pick up basic vocabulary and grammar, and just get used to the sound of the language. I don't have any plans currently to activate this language in any serious way such as a trip or anything, so slow and steady progress through materials available to me is the right direction. This is going well.

German and Spanish: I need to work on error reduction and strengthen grammar skills in my many weak areas in some sort of systematic way that doesn't seem like pure drudgery. One of the nicest things about being a beginner is that you have absolutely no idea what you are getting yourself in for :) As an intermediate, you experience all the gory details of what you *haven't* mastered. It's almost as if the better you get, the worse you get, or maybe just the more you realize how much you don't know or can't quite carry off as your other self as expressed via a different language...and just as you think "Aha, I think I get this tricky grammar point!", you find you've forgotten or can't consistently apply a dozen other ones you thought you knew or something really basic like the meaning or gender of a simple word.

Hmm, enough musing for now.

Edited by BAnna on 20 January 2014 at 6:31am

ummagumma
IrelandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

217 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 124 of 236
20 January 2014 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
Josquin

danke für die Kurrekturen.

"Der" Unterschied
,was ...... ist. verb to end
im Grammatikbuch. in the grammar book
jetzt verstehe ich es. include "es".
Ergibt Sinn. makes senses.
Vorhin = earlier
leicht aus dem Kontext. Not von dem Kontext.

ummagumma
IrelandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

217 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 125 of 236
20 January 2014 at 9:25am | IP Logged 
BAnna

Re-assessing you time and priorities. I hear you. It is difficult to balance it all
out. Sometimes we focus so much in one area of our life we, due to being motivated,
that we neglect other important things or not be open to other opportunities.

I have found that language goals should fit inside my life goals. Like you I have a
partner, busy engineering job, child, and other (more important to me) hobbies. For
mental good, I also like to find time to not push myself and simply relax during the
day! We need more hours in the day!

All the best in working it all out.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 126 of 236
20 January 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
It's hard to find balance! I definitely agree with you that intermediate is in some ways the most frustrating level - sometimes it feels as though you're running just to stay still. But it's also a great level, since you can start using more and more native materials. Anyway, language-learning has to be fun for me, otherwise I won't do it. Try not to be too hard on yourself!

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 127 of 236
21 January 2014 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Thank you Ummagumma and Stelle for your kind and suppportive words. I think I mostly need to avoid going on this forum at night when I'm tired.

Studying all 3 languages every day is stressing me out too much. This week I'm going to try alternating days. That might mean I don't progress as fast with Russian since I'm a beginner, but that's not a tragedy. Even if you walk slowly, you still get there eventually as long as you keep walking, right?

If I can just keep my obsessive tendencies at bay, things should work out fine...

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4930 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 128 of 236
21 January 2014 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I just wanted to remind you that you’re not alone, BAnna. I must say, I find my obsessive tendencies very beneficial. That is, when they’re not driving me to exhaustion or alienating everyone around me. As Stelle said, it’s hard to find balance.

Maybe alternating days will work for you. The only way I’ve been able to study two languages is to throw myself into one until I feel like I’ve accomplished something, then throw myself into the other. I’m too undisciplined to adhere to a set schedule, but my conscience usually helps me out by making me feel guilty if I neglect either language for too long. But that’s just me. Whatever way works for you is the right way.

Sometimes I make a little language-learning goal for myself and, as a reward for achieving it, allow myself to play guitar for awhile. Perhaps there’s some similarly pleasant diversion you could use as a reward and to give yourself a break from your studies. Just a thought.

You’ve come so far with your German. Hang in there.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version