United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 169 of 236
01 April 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
March 31
End of March Summary-2 wk vacation meant lots of Spanish, little German, almost no Russian, and very little
formal study of any kind

-WATCH/LISTEN Total 16 hours (DE 6 hr ES 8 hr RU 2 hr)
DE: Pre-Spain: finished the audiobook of Reiches Erbe, and heard a number of podcasts and watched
documentaries on various topics (Ukraine, Mandela, infertility, the Alhambra). Post-Spain: started audiobook Von
allem Anfang an by Christoph Hein (somewhat autobiographical story about a young man in 1950s East
Germany).

RU: finished Bros. Karamazov video series pre-Spain

SP: I watched a few more episodes of Filosofía Aquí y Ahora (into the 3rd season now), documentary on
bullfighting and listened to Pablo Neruda's Nobel Prize Acceptance speech, then watched news programs on
TV/listened to audioguides in Spain.

-READ total 1756 pages (DE-753,ES-1003)

DE: read more of Die Mitte der Welt by Andreas Steinhöfel (pretty good coming of age novel) before putting it
aside pre-trip and resuming after, finished Flucht ins fremde Paradies (dull graded reader) and Johannisnacht by
Uwe Timm (pretty good comic novel about a journalist from Munich researching potatoes in post-Wende Berlin).
I often don't really get German humor, but found this funny.

SP: Noche de alacranes by Alfredo Gómez Cerdá (so-so young adult love story about post-Civil War Spain), La
sombra del viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (thriller with a side of melodrama, set in Barcelona, but rather
disappointing), first half of Ensayo sobre la ceguera by Portuguese writer José Saramago (enjoyed this in English
a few years ago, novel about mass blindness as metaphor for political life under dictatorship), some short stories
and excerpts from non-fiction writings by Julio Cortázar (Argentina), essays by José Pablo Feinmann (Argentina,
host of Filosofía Aquí y Ahora), poetry by Pablo Neruda (Chilean)

-STUDY (grammar, vocab, other instructional stuff)
RU (more verb conjugation, telling time and numbers)
Russian World I lessons 32-44, Pimsleur I: 8-10, Russian for Everybody Lesson 5

SP- modal expressions in "Adv. Span Grammar", vocabulary (esp. Peninsular Spanish)

DE-vocabulary study only

1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 170 of 236
01 April 2014 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
For example: arce (maple), abedul, (birch) and ortiga (stinging nettle) . Guess what the Latin names are? Acer, betula and urtica. I really should have paid more attention in botany class...

Ácer, bétula and urtiga in Portuguese. Even closer. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 171 of 236
04 April 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
@Luso: You are leading me into temptation :) I definitely need to make the time to learn Portuguese at some point. That will be next after Russian gels for me more. I will evaluate at the end of this calendar year and see if I'm ready to take on the study of another language. One of my current music obsessions is Amália singing in Portuguese and the other one is the new Jonas Kaufmann recording of Schubert's Winterreise (German).   Gorgeous, melancholy music.

ES: Music-related RANT ahead. Listened to Radio Nacional Español podcast about Adolfo Suárez. Why, why, why do they play absurd dramatic music in a documentary??? A little music can be appropriate if it fits the topic (such as playing the campaign election song) but intense violins, Jaws/Star Wars like stuff running in the background when someone is being interviewed is SO annoying, distracting and pointless.    End of Rant.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 172 of 236
06 April 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
05 April

This past week has been spent mostly reviewing Russian and recovering from jet lag. My mind's grasp of the
Second Conjugation and much vocabulary did not survive my vacation... I have therefore decided to focus much
more on Russian for a while. My German and Spanish need improvement, but I can get by ok at my current level.
Russian is a different story and I need to immerse myself in the language.
I'm reading a terrific memoir in English with a smattering of Russian words, Gary Shteyngart's Little Failure, and
my German skype partner (who is studying Russian) recommended the fantastic Russian language Sherlock
Holmes series to me (English subtitles).

Spanish language= испанский язык (espansky yazyk)
German language= немецкий язык (“German” means “man who can’t speak" but most other languages
incorporate the country's name, like above)

Verbs знать (to know) and изучать (to study a subject) require the use of adjective-noun expressions of
languages.
Я знаю английский язык. I know the English language.
Мы изучаем русский язык. We study the Russian language.

Verbs говорить (to speak), учиться (to learn, II conj), понимать (to understand) are used with adverbial
expressions of languages.
Мы говорим по-английски. We speak in English.
Мы учимся и понимаем по-русски. We learn and understand in Russian.

Edited by BAnna on 06 April 2014 at 2:26am

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 173 of 236
13 April 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
12 April

Current progress is very gradual, though I am consistently doing something in each language every day. My plan
is to keep going and not get discouraged at the slow pace. Wise words to keep in mind from someone's log
(can't remember whose): the language learning process is a marathon, not a sprint.

I've been recently spending about 50% of my study time on Russian so am finally back to where I was before
going on vacation (just started verbs of motion). With Spanish and German, my focus is currently on slow
improvement via native materials supplemented with occasional formal grammar study. Am very much enjoying
the German book "Wie der Soldat das Grammofon repariert" von Saša Stanišic. (English title: How the Soldier
Repairs the Gramophone, set during the Bosnian war.)

Excerpt from the opening in English:
" On the morning of the day when he was to die in the evening, Grandpa Slavko made me a magic wand from a
stick and said: there's magic in that hat and wand. If you wear the hat and wave the wand you'll be the most
powerful magician in the non-aligned states. You'll be able to revolutionise all sorts of things, just as long as
they're in line with Tito's ideas and the Statutes of the Communist League of Yugoslavia.

I doubted the magic, but I never doubted my grandpa. The most valuable gift of all is invention, imagination is
your greatest wealth. Remember that, Aleksandar, said Grandpa very gravely as he put the hat on my head, you
remember that and imagine the world better than it is. He handed me the magic wand, and I doubted nothing any
more."

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 174 of 236
26 April 2014 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Ack! I haven't updated this log in a while. The forum going down brought me down as well. And in trying to catch up on reading logs and general posts about anything and everything, I keep getting error messages and slow performance. And yet, and yet I still do love HTLAL... I'm not ready to jump ship, but exploring options is good, and there's nothing wrong with participating on multiple forums (time permitting). I freely admit I've been "playing the field" a bit and have tried out some of the other language forums that I actually learned about here, so here are my impressions so far... of course my preference would be that HTLAL would be around forever and just get better :) Take the following with a grain of salt. I am blissfully ignorant of most of the past history of these forums, so I won't comment on any of that.

-The "Fluent in 3 months" one is fast, no major errors, but a little glitchy and flashy. A lot of the "missions" seem unrealistic to me (sort of like becoming fluent in 3 months sounds a bit daft to me). But they emailed me a really great list of resources in Russian. Yes!

-Unilang is very well organized by language of interest, there's a place for TAC stuff, and it runs well. I haven't yet had time to really read that many posts there yet. It's nice that there aren't constant errors. It doesn't feel like as close a knit community as HTLAL, but it could be I haven't spent enough time there.

-polydog.org runs great and is super-easy to use, but very new, so there aren't that many people on there yet. It seems totally uncensored, if that's important to anyone (I really don't care, I don't think my posts are controversial). I've sort of moved my random log over there for the time being, but will continue to do a monthly summary here.

-Lingq: I use Lingq off and on to read web-based stuff, but their forum is not well organized along the lines of how my brain works, but it could be good for others. I think they've been having some technical problems lately too, but they are working on them.

Other than that, I'm still busily studying, and have decided to eat crow and join the SuperChallenge after all. I was fed up with all the nit-picking about the rules, but then I realized I don't have to read any of that or care about it, and if Solfrid Cristina can merrily put up with it, why should I get bent out of shape about it. The challenge really boosted my German last time, so here I go again, this time trying to do all three languages. Yikes!
3 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 175 of 236
30 April 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
End of April summary

In April the focus was overwhelmingly on Russian, especially in the last week or so as I ended up deciding to do
the Super Challenge after all.   And I just decided to do the 6-week challenge for Russian at the same time
because I need to keep studying that while I'm focusing on native materials. On to the individual language
summaries:

DE: Read 314 pages (mostly from "Wie der Soldat das Gramophon repariert", but also finally wrapped up the tail
end of "Die Mitte der Welt"). Watched a movie "Warnung vor einer heiligen Nutte" (early Fassbinder) and listened
to 10 hours of the audiobooks "Von allem Anfang an" (50s East Germany) and "Sommerlügen" (short stories by
Bernhard Schlink, author of "The Reader" and Selbs mysteries). I'm saving the last couple of disks of this last one
for the Super Challenge.   Also skyped, listened to a couple of radio broadcasts and read some online news
articles. No grammar study, but looked up a few interesting words.

ES: Read 304 pages (mostly "Ensayo sobre la ceguera" by Jose Saramago and started "Corazón tan blanco" by
Javier Marías)
Watched a bunch of movies:
"No eres tú, soy yo" (silly Mexican rom-com)
"Y tu mamá también" (Mexican coming of age by Alfonso Cuaron, who did Gravity, Children of Men, one of the
Harry Potters )
"¡Átame!" (Spanish film by Almodóvar , starring an extremely young Antonio Banderas)
"Blindness" dubbed into Spanish (directed by the Brazilian Fernando Meirelles known for "City of God" with Gael
García Bernal as a villain).

From the Argentinian government TV website which for some programs has a transcript that runs to a window at
the side (so you can ignore OR read the L2 subtitles!), I watched a few more episodes of Filosofía Aquí y Ahora
and started a series about César Milstein (Nobel-winning Argentinian biochemist). I listened to some podcasts
(from US-based Radio Ambulante and Spain's Radio Nacional España, mostly on news/human interest stuff but
also listened to a 30-minute program on soccer...to my husband's surprise and joy!), and I did manage some
traditional study: first 9 lessons (gender and articles) in "Gramática de uso del español Level B1-B2", which a few
of Team Lobo folks are also doing. I also worked through Anaya's Vocabulario Nivel Medio B1 through Unidad 6.

Other: skimmed in English "A History of the Spanish Language" by Penny. This was definitely an academic work
(lots of phonology), but also interesting word derivations for a more casual reader. Luckily my library had this
and I didn't have to fork over $50 for it.

RU:
Studied Pimsleur 11-16. The recommendation is that you should do it until you're 80% comfortable, but I do
them over until I'm about 96% comfortable. I found "Достаточно" difficult, for just one example. Also did
Russian World I lessons 44-61, which I did in conjunction with lessons 5-7 of the text Русский для Всех (Russian
for Everybody) and Face to Face lessons 5-7. I do the workbook exercises for both of these, so it gives me
practice writing by hand and reading. Some of this was post-vacation review, some new stuff: telling time,
numbers, adjectives, verbs of motion, question intonation. In Assimil Russian with Ease, I did the first 6 lessons,
but I don't have a solid feel for this yet, though I know lots of people love Assimil.   At this point, I'm not drinking
the Kool-Aid, but I'm not really ready to give an opinion one way or the other.

Watched a bunch of movies, and most were pretty good:
Шерлок Холмс (Sherlock Holmes) part of a series, and they're great.
Брестская крепость (Brest Fortress) intense WWII, about the famous battle
Измена (Betrayal) offbeat love?? story, interesting cinematography
Ошибка резиаента (Secret Agent's Blunder) B&W 60s spy thriller, told from Soviet viewpoint, some German in it
as well.
Исчезнувшая империя (The Vanished Empire) about teens in 70s USSR
Свинка Пепа (Pepa the pig) cartoon that I can sorta follow without subs
Палата №6 (Ward No.6) based on Chekhov's story of a Dr. at a mental institution who ends up being a patient
Русский ковчег (Russian Ark). This last is famous for being done in a single 96-minute shot in the Hermitage in
St. Petersburg. There's no real plot, instead it's a walkthrough of Russian history in a pseudo-documentary,
pseudo-dream style. The costumes were definitely cool.

Other: started in English "Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia" by Figes. Just read 50 p or so, but so far
it's very interesting, for example, the obsession with Europe and France was so intense in the 19th century, that
many aristocrats could barely speak Russian at all, just what they picked up from their serfs. The "Understanding
Russians" Coursera class I've enrolled in has been postponed a couple of weeks.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4382 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 176 of 236
04 May 2014 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
I moved my Russian log over to polydog.org since I'm not on a team here for that. (faster and easier to post) Maybe that means my posts here will finally be shorter...

This week I started the 6WC in Russian and the Super Challenge in Russian, Spanish and German, so I've basically gone insane...or more insane than I was.
Since I have a cold, I've been watching lots of movies and rather felt like I was in a very strange time warp (saw a movie set during the Franco dictatorship, a documentary about skaters in East Germany, and a couple of B&W Soviet era spy films where the Soviets are the good guys).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version