Triglot
United States
Joined 4407 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 65 of 236
25 March 2013 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the useful corrections and comment, Josquin.

Weekly update:
I have visitors from out of town here for a while, hence much less time available for study. Learning something deeply is a marathon, not a sprint, so it's to be expected that there will be lulls, setbacks, uphill slogs, etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4407 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 66 of 236
01 April 2013 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Weekly update:
Another week of little study, but my visitors are gone now, so time to get back in the saddle. We saw an German movie, Barbara, which a friend had recommended. All of us could enjoy this film thanks to the English subtitles.

We'll see this coming week if the "time off" helped or hurt... unfortunately I think I know the answer to that question.

Hope you all are enjoying the change of seasons, keeping your studies going, and enjoying life in general.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5870 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 67 of 236
01 April 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
There hasn't been much of a change in season here, unfortunately. Winter is still hanging around, but it's definitely good to have a long weekend (starting with Good Friday and ending Easter Monday) to get caught up and recharge batteries.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4407 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 68 of 236
08 April 2013 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
It was a busy week, but I was able to make some progress. Lots of writing practice (emails) because I joined a German-language penpal site. I'm a bit overwhelmed actually keeping up with all the writing, so I need to either write faster or write shorter emails. I see in one of my above posts I make typos in English as well. (sigh)

I played around a bit in some very, very basic Polish this week. I will resist the temptation for now, but I think that or French may be on the menu for 2014. Or Italian, or ???

It seems a bit quiet on the logs for Team Schnitzel. I hope that means we are all busy studying (?) or at least doing something else equally satisfying until we come back to learning. Because of Easter, I didn't talk to my skype partners for a while, but I reconnected this week and I think my spoken German actually improved over the break: maybe my brain needed to just let things settle in.

If you have been on a break, for whatever reason, try dipping into your material for a few minutes. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5870 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 69 of 236
08 April 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Yes, it's pretty quiet. I think some of our teammates are on break. Others may not think it's worth coming in. Sometimes it's hard to log-in when there's not much to say or no progress to report. It's great that you got some work done! What German-language penpal site do you use?

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4407 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 70 of 236
18 April 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
@Sunja: the German language penpal site is www.brieffreunde.de/

I do recommend the site, although am rather overwhelmed with answering lengthy emails and even actual old-school letters. I'm getting a ton of writing practice there, but I am so slow...
Usually I update my log on Sunday but was not feeling well over the weekend--much better now.
I am consuming a LOT of audio content and my comprehension is going way, way up while my stamina for understanding very fast speech is improving. I have not been doing as much direct vocabulary or grammar work lately, so I will need to make some time for that at some point. Grammar to me is a slippery eel: I read the explanation and think,"of course, that's logical, selbstverständlich" and then either completely forget it within 10 minutes or make the same elementary mistake whenever I open my mouth...if I only had a dollar for every time I put haben where sein should go...or put the ^$#*!# VERB in the wrong position...GRRR.

I've been working a bit with the infinitive and modals, and stumbled across the following, courtesy of Mark Twain: "After the verb --merely by way of ornament, as far as I can make out -- the writer shovels in 'haben sind gewesen gehabt haben geworden sein,' or words to that effect." Yes, exactly. :)

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4933 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 71 of 236
18 April 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I laughed my head off when I first read that. Here's something else funny: I was listening to a learning podcast, I think it was in Deutsche Welle, where several native speakers are taking turns spontaneously expounding on some issue, and one guy comes out with a really long, complicated sentence and completely forgets to put the verb at the end. That was somehow comforting to me.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4407 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 72 of 236
21 April 2013 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
I've been exchanging everyday pleasantries in emails/letters, so here is a change of pace trying out usage of the passive voice.

Dialekt oder Sprache?

"Man kann Dialekte daran erkennen, dass man sie vor allem spricht und selten schreibt", laut des Sprachforschers Norbert Dittmar. Viele würden Dialekt als eine vor allem mündliche Mundart definieren, im Vergleich mit einer Sprache die ein schriftliches System von Zeichen und Regeln enthält. Eine Standardsprache oder Schriftsprache wird in den meisten Fällen von Behörden und Einrichtungen unterstützt. Sprachen haben üblicherweise Grammatiken, Wortbücher, Literatur und formelle Anerkennung. Gibt es, dennoch, Stämme, die keine Schriftsprache haben, aber wir würden nicht sagen, dass sie keine eigene Sprache besitzen. Welche Kriterien werden häufig benutzt, um Sprachen von Dialekt zu unterscheiden? Normalerweise weisen die Dialekten eine oder mehrere der folgenden Merkmale auf: Sie werden nicht standarisiert, sie werden nie oder selten geschrieben, sie werden niedriger als eine Standardsprache geachtet, und die Bevölkerung, die einen Dialekt spricht, fehlt oft einen selbständigen Staat. Eine Gruppe, die eine unabhängige Sprache spricht, wird öfter als ein Volk betrachtet, im Vergleich mit einer Untergruppe die "nur" einen regionalen oder schichten Dialekt spricht. Max Weinrich, ein Akademiker der Jiddisch studiert, unterlegte die soziale und politische Untermauerungen zwischen den Ausdrücke, als er schrieb: "Eine Sprache ist ein Dialekt mit einer Armee und einer Marine."

Edited by BAnna on 21 April 2013 at 2:30am

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version