Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 113 of 246
10 March 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Hey Kerrie,

how is life? I hope the situation has gotten a bit better for you? It seems everybody on Team MIR has had a rough start into 2013. Are you still doing Russian? It would be great to read from you again soon.

Best of wishes, удачи, and успехов!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 114 of 246
10 March 2013 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm still around, for the most part. I'm dealing with too much stuff right now (mine and other people's) but I will be back.

I am still studying, and even if my languages take a break, I will never give up. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5021 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 115 of 246
10 March 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I have this bad habit (when I'm home alone) of sitting down at the computer while I eat and watching something on YouTube. I came across this guy on accident and started listening to him. How to FLUENTLY Learn Foreign Languages.

Has anyone ever heard of this guy? Does anyone know if he speaks anything other than English? I watched about five minutes (between two of his videos), and I honestly couldn't even stomach some of the BS he was spewing. Unless you speak a dozen languages fluently, I really don't think you have a right to go bashing people like Benny, Moses and Steve. I'm sure they're not perfect, but they have done a lot of the language learning community online.

EDIT: I actually sat through two of his videos, and seriously, don't waste your time.

I don't get his point on field linguistics and non-scripted languages that he gets back to all the time. I don't see what communicative field work with the last remaining natives in some jungle regions has to do with learning highly evolved literary languages like French or Russian for instance. Engaging in 'field linguistics' would be just a waste of time for most learners.

I have benefited from Clugston's videos in other ways. Some of his favorite linguists which he likes to extol, like Stephen Krashen ('Comprehensible Input') and James Asher ('Total Physical Response') are very much present on youtube recently - two of the last surviving linguists of some renown that still care about something tangible like Second Language Acquisition rather than getting lost in esoteric intellectual debates that only visitors from outer space are able to comprehend.

So I had a look into some interviews with Krashen and Asher, and read some articles on the Internet. Well, the impression that I got is that they are mainly concerned with classroom teaching. These scholars are busy with groundwork theories that deal with how to teach school children or immigrants a language most effectively. Alright, but this has not necessarily any implications for the independent adult learner, and I think Krashen occasionally admits so.

Asher is the TPR scholar who Clugston rates above all others, but I managed to listen to a 1 hour video interview with Asher for not more than ten minutes (when my patience ran out), during which he suggests that teachers who still rely in any way on 19th century grammar-translation methods should be treated and prosecuted as actual criminals, and this was said only half in jest.

After watching a couple of such videos and reading some articles by and about these linguists I have come to the conclusion that I am wasting my time with mavericks whose popularity has probably to do more with educational politics than with anything of practical value for self-learners. I am just mentioning this because these people and their ideas are increasingly discussed on this forum, on youtube, and elsewhere, for whatever reason, and I still haven't figured out what it is all about. I still believe that studying the grammar of a language is the most solid foundation you can get; that it isn't always fun, especially for kids, is another matter. If you can't, or don't like to, try another method first.

m32amir
Heptaglot
Groupie
Canada
youtube.com/user/m32Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5410 days ago

53 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Turkish, Mandarin

Message 116 of 246
11 March 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
This guy named Christophe Clugston is extremely disfunctional. He is what you might call
"a waste of human skin".

Этот парень по имени Christophe Clugston - полный придурок. :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5021 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 117 of 246
11 March 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
m32amir wrote:
This guy named Christophe Clugston is extremely disfunctional. He is what you might call
"a waste of human skin".

Этот парень по имени Christophe Clugston - полный придурок. :-)

In one video he called you a toothpick... but well, what to call him?

Maybe TPR is best suited to a self-defense lifestyle. If a big head receives a good knock, it will physically resonate and respond totally. For some people this will be the appropriate way to learn.

Edited by Kronos on 22 March 2013 at 9:19am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 118 of 246
06 April 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 

Well, I finally found a job, although it will only be part-time to start out.

I have spent a lot of time the last month watching films and TV shows for my Super Challenges. I have the film section done for Spanish, French, Italian, and German.

I'm still reading Harry Potter #4, and it will be really nice to add 635 pages to the bot when I'm done with it! I have a feeling I will read something else before I start reading #5. It's 900 pages long. (For those of you wondering, my daughter is almost through #6, so I don't think I will be able to catch up with her.)

Between snow days, sick days, winter break, spring break, and strep throat, things have been really off-kilter here for months. Spring break is almost over, and the kids will be heading back to school on Monday. Hopefully things will go back to something resembling normal around here. I would like to get back to French. and Russian and Portuguese. and Italian. Hopefully, I will still have time to work on some of my languages when I start my new job.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 119 of 246
06 April 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 

Even though I've finished the film part of my Spanish Super Challenge, I found a really great Spanish show called Isabel. "Isabel I of Castile finds herself in the royal court of 15th-century Spain, ruled by greed, lust, lies, and, above all, an insatiable hunger for power." I highly recommend it, whether you're learning Spanish or not. It reminded me a lot of Game of Thrones.

I have also gone back to my Korean dramas, but this time I'm only watching them with Spanish subtitles. I vaguely remember discussing subs (in the context of the Super Challenge), but I don't remember exactly what was decided. I think the Tadoku rule is 1 page for every five minutes of subs, and that's what I'm counting. It's really weird to listen to Korean and read in Spanish. and then realize I understood the whole episode. :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 120 of 246
06 April 2013 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Even though I've finished the film part of my Spanish Super Challenge, I found a really
great Spanish show called
Isabel. "Isabel I of Castile
finds herself in the royal court of 15th-century Spain, ruled by greed, lust, lies,
and, above all, an insatiable hunger for power." I highly recommend it, whether you're
learning Spanish or not. It reminded me a lot of
Game of Thrones.

Thanks for the recommendation! I got this message:

"Sorry, our videos are only available in the following areas: North and South
America"

What part of "Brazil is in South America didn't they understand??

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version