forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 161 of 246
02 March 2014 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1444133055/
The link above is what I bought last year when I used this course. It is a repackage of the
"Foundation Course" from Michel Thomas. The vocabulary builder CD is a different teacher,
but the course CDs are the original Michel Thomas course.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 162 of 246
02 March 2014 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
That is good to know, Warp3. I will let her know that, if she wants to purchase them. One of the reviews says only the first lesson is Michel, so I wasn't sure.
1 person has voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 163 of 246
02 March 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Could you give me a link to SprachProfi 72 ways to learn Spanish for free? Just for future reference, just in
case I want to learn Spanish out of language nerdery... :)) Thanks!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 164 of 246
02 March 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
agantik wrote:
Could you give me a link to SprachProfi 72 ways to learn Spanish for free? Just for future reference, just in case I want to learn Spanish out of language nerdery... :)) Thanks!

72 Ways to Learn Spanish for Free

She also has similar books for French, Japanese, and German. I have only looked at one or two of them, but I imagine they are very similar. For example, using sites like Duolingo and iTalki (among lots and lots of others).

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 165 of 246
02 March 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your quick answer!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 166 of 246
07 March 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 

While I was wasting time on Facebook, I came across this really cool video of What Languages Sound Like To Foreigners. It's really cool. It was uploaded four days ago and already has almost 4 million views! Check it out. :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 167 of 246
15 March 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
So, I haven't meant to be so quiet lately. It seems like we have lots of still-very-active members on a bunch of my teams, which is really great. I am trying really hard to catch up with everyone's logs.

I found out last week that my job situation will be stabilizing, so I will have a lot less stress on the job front. Still not an ideal situation, but much better than it's been for quite a while, so I consider that good news. :D

I have an appt for showing the house in two weeks, and hopefully I will be moved by the end of May. It is looking promising, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

In my on-the-side job, I have a few projects I am working on, and one of them may be of interest to those of you who use HP books as a learning tool. Stay turned for more information about it in a month or two. I'm really excited about it. :)

I have not done much with French and Korean, and I probably won't be able to until we move in May (if all goes as planned). I'm hoping to do some intensive vocab work for French in April for the Learning Challenge, but we'll have to see.

I haven't been doing any speaking with Spanish as I had planned, but I have been reading a lot. I started a handful of books. I started El Cemeterio de Praga (The Prague Cemetery), then jumped to La saga de los longevos: La vieja familia (A Saga of the Ancient Family), which I was really enjoying.

I usually have different books I'm reading on different devices. I have my PaperWhite, which I normally read when I am at home, but then I have a Kindle app on my smartphone, which is nice for breaks at work, or times when I have to wait - like when I'm waiting for the kids after school and I'm five minutes early. So it's not that I wasn't enjoying a particular book, it's just that sometimes something will grab you and won't let go, you know what I mean?

Pasaje by Justin Cronin was like that. (The Passage in English.) Nora Roberts' La cruz de Morrigan (English Morrigan's Cross) was another one that grabbed my interest.

Then, a friend of mine suggested reading Divergente. (The English version is Divergent, of course.) Divergent is being made into a movie, which coincidentally comes out next week. I've read through the first two books of the trilogy, and started the third last night. It is a really easy read, and it's compared a lot to the Hunger Games. The whole world-went-to-hell-in-a-hand-basket-and-this-is-how-we-react ed storyline. It's mostly written in first person, and I don't have to look up many words. It's been a fairly quick read, which is good, since I have lots of other things to do. :D

So, about 900 pages done for my goal of 5,000 for this year for Spanish, done in about 2-3 weeks. It's certainly easier reading that I was doing for the Super Challenge last year, but I don't think it would be so easy if I hadn't worked on a lot of harder stuff already. hehe

My friend who suggested the Divergent series says she like the Hunger Games better, so I am putting the Hunger Games on my "to-read" list, too. I imagine they will be easy to read, too, which is nice when I want to sit down and stare at something without using too much brain power.

I never thought I'd be able to say that about reading a book in another language. It's amazing how much my Spanish reading has improved since I started the Super Challenge two years ago. (Thank you, Cristina!) :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 168 of 246
15 March 2014 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
On a side note, I got my daughter to read Divergent this week. She's eleven. She really enjoyed it, as well.

She's read the Hunger Games (and loved it), so I'll be curious to see how she likes the rest of the Divergent trilogy. It'll be interesting to hear her perspective on how the two stories are similar and how they are different.

[For those of you who have read all three Divergent books, please don't spoil the end of #3 yet. I'll be done with it in a few weeks, then we can talk about it.] :D

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version