Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 246
06 January 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Hope you get really well really soon. It is hard to do any studying when you are ill. 72 out of 100 films
sounds fabulous though, well done!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 34 of 246
13 January 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 

So my do-over didn't work so well. Life continues to throw wrenches my way. Not the kind that get in the way of language learning, but the kind that gets in the way of living a nice, peaceful life.

I was hoping this weekend, I would have a chance to regroup, and get things back on track, but one of my friends asked me Friday afternoon if we could take their kitty. (Her son's allergies have gone nuts since they got the kitty a month or two ago.) I love kitties, we already have two, and this little one is really adorable. So why not?

I had forgotten the drama involved in kitties getting to know each other.

I haven't gotten much in the way of language work done, but I had been doing pretty well keeping up with my Spanish vocab. Until last night. I guess I upgraded Anki on my phone last week, and when I tried to sync and upload my Croatian deck from my computer, something happened. Or didn't. I don't know. I spent hours last night trying to figure it out. I deleted everything but my Spanish Monster deck, uploaded, downloaded, deleted, rebooted, screamed, cried, and pulled my hair out.

Two of the shared decks only downloaded one card each. I tried to download the Russian one again, and then all my decks disappeared. Any time I try to sync, it takes at least 10 minutes, even for small decks. Any time I try to sync (on either device), I get an error. Sometimes it's an error with a list of numbers, sometimes it says something about the media. I have no clue. I am frustrated.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 35 of 246
14 January 2013 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Anki has a way of being rather frustrating sometimes but it’s also quite helpful. I hope you can find out what went wrong with the upgrade and can fix it soon. (And remember, always – always – back up your decks. I’m speaking from experience!)

Apart from that I wanted to wish you (even if I’m rather late) a great 2013. As a fellow MIR member, I’ll be following your log. Good luck with the TAC!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 36 of 246
14 January 2013 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Emme.

I eventually got it working and syncing correctly from my desktop AND my phone, so that's definitely good. I ended up losing the data from my reviews, but at least I still have the cards. Most of them I didn't have enough done (maybe a week's worth) to matter that much. For my Spanish deck, it's kind of disappointing, but I'll just try to get through 50-75 cards a day for the next week. I think there were about 400 cards I had already gone through. Sucks, but at least I have it working now, and I don't have to start my deck from scratch.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 37 of 246
15 January 2013 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
I'm watching Merlin in Spanish, and it's really interesting to hear this vos form that I've never heard before.

Edited by Kerrie on 15 January 2013 at 4:18am

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4115 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 38 of 246
16 January 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
I have close relatives in Uruguay and every time I visit, I realize the "vos" is not quite as widespread as one would think. However...

I doubted a bit about how much it's used around the Rio de la Plata region, so I decided to ask a relative. She said "vos" is used almost exclusively in Buenos Aires (Arg) and Montevideo (Uru), and it's use is less widespread the further you go away from those cities.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 39 of 246
16 January 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 

I had never heard of it. At first, I thought it was a shortened form of vosotros or something, but then I looked it up. I guess you learn new things every day. :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 40 of 246
17 January 2013 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Because of Portuguese, vos sounds so gorgeously respectful to me. ♥♥♥
http://lyricstraining.com/play/7124/juanes/para_tu_amor_live

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version