justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 49 of 246
22 January 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
It would be a big mistake in my opinion to approach vocabulary acquisition in such a simplistic fashion. Another complication is that not only do individual words have different meanings, but then there's the question of learning what is and is not an "accepted" way of using the word, which is formed by frequent exposure in context--hard to get for uncommon words.

Well, there are some basic words that's not a problem for. You can only cut an apple so many ways. :)

Most of the "big" deck I'm working on are review for me (so far), and most of the "new" stuff I've come across is stuff I have seen or heard before. I'm sure towards the end of the deck it will be a little different. :)

Your point is the main reason I am writing down all the words from my reading, though. Authors have a tendency to use the same language over and over again. I'm in the middle of three series, all of them with 6 or 7 books. The vocabulary I am learning keeps reappearing in my reading. Over and over again. It's actually frustrating, because even learning 20-30 words a day, I keep coming across stuff I've seen and don't know.

I also notice that the words I'm studying are coming up a lot when I'm watching my TV shows, too. Hey, I learned that yesterday! Sometimes it makes me feel like I don't know anything, and I have to remind myself that it's a process, a journey. Even though the destination is far, far away, there are lots of wonderful sites along the way. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 50 of 246
24 January 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 

So Schoenhofs and their end-of-the-year inventory sale suck. I ordered the Esperanto Assimil book, and apparently it's out of print, so I'm out of luck. Blah.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 51 of 246
24 January 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

So Schoenhofs and their end-of-the-year inventory sale suck. I ordered the Esperanto Assimil book, and apparently it's out of print, so I'm out of luck. Blah.

Hmm. I wondered about that. I saw that book on their website, knew that it's not listed on assimil's website, and also notice that they didn't have it in stock. I guess that saves me the trouble of trying to order it, thanks (sorry you had to be the test case).

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5499 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Hindi

Message 52 of 246
24 January 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I'm not sure a book better than this exists for learning Esperanto. What more could you possibly need? I believe all the editions are reprints of the same classic.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 53 of 246
24 January 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Rout wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

I'm not sure a book better than this exists for learning Esperanto. What more could you possibly need? I believe all the editions are reprints of the same classic.

hahaha.

New: from $168.62

If I ever seriously decide to learn Esperanto, I know there are plenty of resources. Assimil is just set up really nice for something simple like Esperanto. You could spend 20 minutes a day for six months and learn a language and it really would be painless.

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5499 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Hindi

Message 54 of 246
24 January 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Rout wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

hahaha.

New: from $168.62

If I ever seriously decide to learn Esperanto, I know there are plenty of resources. Assimil is just set up really nice for something simple like Esperanto. You could spend 20 minutes a day for six months and learn a language and it really would be painless.

That's the list price for "new" because it's no longer in print. It's around $25 buck used.

Why take 6 months to learn Esperanto when you can get good in it in a few weeks? Esperanto isn't the type of language you'll want to waste your time "absorbing," in my opinion; it's man made - there are so few rules, that just taking a few weeks to learn them will get you going in the language really, really quickly. That's the point of the language. I'm not saying Assimil's not great for natural languages, but, unlike natural languages, Esperanto is more like a machine that requires an instruction manual.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 55 of 246
24 January 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
So for now, I am taking a two-week break from HTLAL duties (but I'll still be around). Once I get my head back on straight and figure out what I'm going to do, I will be back. :)

Knowing me, I'll probably go back to masochist mode and go back to four crazy teams. LOL

Okay, call me a masochist. I am back. It's still going to be another week or two before things start to settle down around here, but I can't live without you guys, and I'm really excited about what this year will bring. So please ignore my craziness from the last week and pretend I never left. :)

In another week or two, I will probably post the challenges for Team PAX and Divan (and Nebun?) that we are doing for Team Mir, or something similar. Many of the other teams have already copied the idea, and I think it can be a great motivator.

I have been thinking about how I want to approach my multiple languages this year, and I am thinking about having an intensive month for each language, focus on getting as much input as possible, and seeing if that approach works well for me. I might work them around the 6WCs, but I'm not really sure yet.

Anyways - just wanted to let you all know I'm still here and won't be going anywhere. :)

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 56 of 246
24 January 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I kinda know the feeling. Sometimes part of me wants to take breaks from the forum, but it's rare that I actually do so for very long even if I don't post anything.

An intensive month for each language is an interesting idea, maybe I'll borrow it from you.

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version