Diglot
United States
Joined 4453 days ago

101 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Amharic*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 7
16 December 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Within 2 months, I'll have finished the New French with Ease Assimil course. I have
decided to postpone my Japanese studies until the summer, when I'll have longer periods
of time to tackle it. This leaves about a 6-month gap, and since I've been wanting to
learn another Germanic language, it looks like this is the perfect opportunity for Dutch.
I have found several websites with the Assimil course posted, but I can't seem to find
any audio. I have looked at all the IPA values and I can produce all of the sounds in the
language. Is the audio then necessary? Could I learn the language to an acceptable
pronunciation without the Assimil tapes (while still listening to radio and music)?

1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 7
17 December 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
berabero89 wrote:
I have found several websites with the Assimil course posted, but I can't seem to find any audio.

Maybe you should actually pay for it.

Assimil Dutch - Amazon

3 persons have voted this message useful

orion
United States
Joined 6832 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 3 of 7
17 December 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
berabero89 wrote:
I have found several websites with the Assimil course posted, but I can't seem to find any audio.

Assimil Dutch - Amazon

Or try your local library. If they don't carry it, they can probably get it through interlibrary loan.
3 persons have voted this message useful

berabero89
Diglot
United States
Joined 4453 days ago

101 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: English, Amharic*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 4 of 7
17 December 2012 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
berabero89 wrote:
I have found several websites with the Assimil course
posted, but I can't seem to find any audio.

s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355700851&sr=1-1&keywords=assimil+dutch +cd">Assimil Dutch -
Amazon

Normally, I would, but seeing how the course costs way beyond the amount of money I have
and what my parents are willing to pay, I cannot. So I've decided to use the copies I've
found online, but seeing how they don't have any audio, we once again return to the
question of Dutch accent formation.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 5 of 7
17 December 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
berabero89 wrote:
we once again return to the question of Dutch accent formation.

Even though you are just starting Dutch, I'd recommend video's with sub-titles. There are lots on just about any theme at:

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/

For a Belgian (Flanders) Dutch accent, try the excellent 60 sec news clips with 100% accurate sub-titles from HLN. Find it on the right side of the page.

http://www.hln.be/
4 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5067 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 6 of 7
17 December 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
berabero89 wrote:
we once again return to the question of Dutch accent formation.

Even though you are just starting Dutch, I'd recommend video's with sub-titles. There are lots on just about any theme at:

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/

For a Belgian (Flanders) Dutch accent, try the excellent 60 sec news clips with 100% accurate sub-titles from HLN. Find it on the right side of the page.

http://www.hln.be/
Is there a similar website for Afrikaans?

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5508 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 7
01 January 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
berabero89 wrote:
Within 2 months, I'll have finished the New French with Ease Assimil course. I have
decided to postpone my Japanese studies until the summer, when I'll have longer periods
of time to tackle it. This leaves about a 6-month gap, and since I've been wanting to
learn another Germanic language, it looks like this is the perfect opportunity for Dutch.
I have found several websites with the Assimil course posted, but I can't seem to find
any audio. I have looked at all the IPA values and I can produce all of the sounds in the
language. Is the audio then necessary? Could I learn the language to an acceptable
pronunciation without the Assimil tapes (while still listening to radio and music)?
I think you can!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version