Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5467 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 81 of 248
20 January 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
A wonderful post. I can confirm that a lot of Muscovites travel to Egypt; one of my
students did over the New Year. The most popular place I've heard for Russians so far is
Thailand. There is one thing I've noticed, is that Russians don't tend to like spicy
food; was the food particularly spicy in Egypt?

I'm jealous to death that you're in Egypt. It's become quite accessible to British
tourists too, but I've not managed to go there yet ;).
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 82 of 248
20 January 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Egypt sounds good, but a resort/organised tour type of trip is not exactly my thing. I am
sure it suits you way better (and the girls). I imagine you're getting a lot of language
practice in though. And that's awesome!

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6027 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 83 of 248
20 January 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

They also say that:

- "the "χ" is actually an H! It makes exactly the kind of sound you'd find in words like Himalaya, hibiscus and
hibernation. "

That had me pretty confused, as I have always though of it as a slightly weaker Spanish "j", and to make my
confusion complete they then say that:

- although the sound "approximates the English H, it is probably closer to the Scottish or German Loch".

If they had just given me that last piece of information I would have been fine, but I do not see why they bring
the English H into it.

The Greek g (Γ/γ) is transcribed as wh (Γάλα - /whala/). Now I struggle to find a good way to describe the
pronunciation of that letter myself, as I tend to think of it as something like an extremely soft fricative "g" but I
cannot make any sense of "wh" here. I loved the "Teach Yourself Russian" and recommend it to everyone,
but my feelings are cool towards the Greek one. I still love the Greek alphabet, but that is no thanks to this
book.

I agree that it's confusing. Probably they drag H into it because English has no closer equivalent. Are you using the
French Assimil? The German edition says that χ is pronounced as in "ich" before the i and ä sounds and as in "Ach"
before consonants and the a, o and u sounds. In the latter case I guess it's the same as Russian x?

For γ it says the pronunciation is j before i and ä and otherwise like a non-rolled uvular r ("ein deutsches Zäpfchen-
R, jedoch nicht gerollt") with a tendency towards ch in "Ach", however voiced. Don't know if that helps. I believe
you're already on the right track.

I'm glad you're enjoying your holiday. Sounds ab fab!

//aloysius

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 84 of 248
20 January 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

They have for instance said that it is not very common to say please (παρακαλω) in
Greek, claiming that:
- "[The Greeks] tend to view excessive politeness as a distancing device and therefore avoid using it."

Now putting on my Spanish cultural bag, I can understand that you might not use "please" all the time with
close friends, but I find it strange that they would hardly use it with foreigners either. Can anyone verify this?

I just saw that. I do not verify it at all! Yes, excessive formality seems fake and hostile sometimes, but the use of παρακαλώ should be frequent. After "thank you" you say it even with friends and family. To strangers or people you are not very familiar with, you use it as "excuse me" as well.

I suppose the term "excessive politeness" should be defined. My thought on that is that formality is a more appropriate word that politeness. You must absolutely be polite in every situation, by use of polite words or behaviour. Too much formality however appears unnatural, fake, even hostile, as I said. Just be natural and definitely use παρακαλώ! It's one of the best words to use, really.

Oh, some books and their comments...

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4397 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 85 of 248
21 January 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I am positively green with envy! Sea and sun sound perfect to me right now. It is
currently -6 in my part of Canada, just so you know.

The Greek g (Γ/γ) is indeed tricky, and I've not seen a good explanation for it
anywhere. The closest thing to it, by my ears, is somewhere between a Spanish 'g' when
it's between two vowels and a truncated French 'r'.

A friend of mine who studied Modern Greek at University told me that his professor once
told him "Thank-you is not a word that comes easily to Greek lips." There is a sense
that by saying thank-you you are acknowledging a debt to the other person that you may
rather not have to repay.

On a trip to Greece many years ago a Greek did tell me I needn't say thank-you so much.
"Once a day is enough."

That's just my (limited) knowledge on the question. Times change and attitudes change,
so I defer to our resident experts on rules of Greek etiquette.

It's interesting once again, to note some commonalities between Spain and Greece. I
know Latin Americans who've travelled to Spain have been told similar things.
Especially around the dinner table where they've been told to drop the "hagame el favor
de pasarme las papas, si fuera tan amable" in favour of "dame las patatas." :)

καλό διακοπές !

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 86 of 248
21 January 2013 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Greek g sounds like it is just voiced /x/. Aka, Dutch standard 'g'. The uvular hints
that it might even be produced further down the throat, like the pronunciation of 'g' in
the Hague here. /x/ is the regular sound for 'ch' in Dutch (which is voiceless; g is
voiced. They are not the same sound.)

Doesn't sound that hard to me.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 87 of 248
21 January 2013 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Greek g sounds like it is just voiced /x/. Aka, Dutch standard 'g'. The uvular hints
that it might even be produced further down the throat, like the pronunciation of 'g' in
the Hague here. /x/ is the regular sound for 'ch' in Dutch (which is voiceless; g is
voiced. They are not the same sound.)

Doesn't sound that hard to me.

I would also have said that it's a voiced /x/, but it's definitely not the same sound as the Dutch 'g', at least not in the Dutch I've heard... The Greek sound is far softer, so maybe more like a Flemish 'g'? I'm not that familiar with Vlaams though, so I'm not sure.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 88 of 248
21 January 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Great post, Cristina. I would never have imagined that there was a place in Egypt where the locals spoke Russian better than they did English. Very interesting. I remember when seeing a real life Russian (at least in my home town) was as rare as seeing a Martian, and just as exotic. Now they're everywhere, especially in Prague, where I go quite frequently.

This discussion contains 248 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version