Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 161 of 248
13 May 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Enjoy your stay in Italy!

Spring is usually the best time of the year to be here: neither too hot, nor too cold (with a little luck, of course!). I hope you, your kids and your sister will have a great time in Rome.

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 162 of 248
13 May 2013 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
davvero? :P i've just been to Kiev which has a warmer climate than Moscow (where I live) but not as hot as Italy. And it was already extremely hot in early May!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 163 of 248
13 May 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
I remember that Rome in April was 25 degrees or so. I don't know what it is in May, but I
guess a bit similar, maybe a tad warmer.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 164 of 248
13 May 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Well, the weather forecast for Rome says that the low temperature is going to be between 12-16°C and the high between 23-25°C in the coming few days. Considering that in winter it may snow and that in summer the temperature may rise well above 40°C, I really believe that weatherwise it’s really pleasant to be in Rome this week.

Of course, not every year it’s the same, but that’s where a little luck may help.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5043 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 165 of 248
13 May 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
It's great to see you back. And your trip sounds amazing, enjoy! :)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4500 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 166 of 248
13 May 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Good to see that you're back, Cristina! You've been missed =)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 167 of 248
25 June 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Emme, Serpent, Tarvos, zecchino, fabriciocarraro: Thank you for your kind comments. I needed those :-)

When life turns a 180 degrees...

Sometimes your life takes such a turn that your head spins, and all your plans must be changed. This year I
had a very hectic and varied travel itinerary planned. I was going to Egypt with my youngest daughter, to The
Canary Islands with both of them, to Croatia to see Ellasevia, to Budapest to the polyglot conference, to
Madrid, Rome and Brussels with my job, to Germany with the Historical Rose Society, to Greece with my
best friend, to Russia with some friends who had invited me and my husband to visit their parents' dacha, to
Ukraine on a Russian course and my sister and I were planning to go to Uzbekistan together, and possibly
the Antarctic and Buenos Aires.   My only worry was how to get money and vacation enough for all of it, but
between some of it being just a week end, and some of it being work related I would get to do most of it. Well
probably not the Antarctic and Buenos Aires, but the rest would be more than enough.

And then my life took a sharp turn. After almost 19 years of marriage, a couple of events made me realize
that it would not be tolerable to stay in my marriage for another day. So suddenly I was thrown into a
maelstrom of practical, economical and emotional issues I had to deal with, that made language studies the
last priority on my list. Getting myself and my two daughters through this was my only priority.

You may find this sad. It is not. In fact, I have not been happier for a long time. I am still not out of the woods
yet as far as the practical and economical part goes, and it has truly been a walk through hell to overcome all
that. And I cannot help but feel a certain sadness, that this marriage that I spent my entire adult life in is over,
but all inn all the main feeling is one of happiness and joy.   

So I am sorry that I have been so passive on the forum, and I may still be for some time. I have so many
practical things to deal with that I hardly sleep at night.

On the positive side I can tell you that on our trip to Italy that I mentioned in my last post, we had the fortune
of meeting Luca Lampariello. Not once, not twice but three times. Both my daughters adore him, and we are
all huge fans, so when asked what they had enjoyed most on their first trip to Rome both my daughters
agreed that the Pantheon and Colosseum were nice, but the best part was meeting Luca again :-) Having
had the privilege of having both Richard and Luca as guests in my home, I must say that I am amazed at how
gentle and genuinely good people they are. They are in every possible way fantastic role models for the
polyglot community.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 168 of 248
25 June 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Ah, men du vet dock att vi inte tycker att det är tråkigt att du inte har varit här så
länge. Det kan man också inte tycka i så fall - när livet går på tok kan du inte alltid
göra något som berör på dina egna önskar, istället före det som livet krävs. Åtminstone
tycker jag inte det - men vi har redan talat om det hela.

Det finns nog två saker som jag skulle vilja dela med dig - det första är att det är
aldrig en dålig sak att skilja när du inte kan förtsätta där - man behöver vara mycket
kraftigt att välja det. Så det kan aldrig bli att du inte har gjort bra - det
har du med säkerhets skull.

Jag vill säga till att du skulle också förmodligen inte vara tråkig att ha valt att
gifta dig - det var förmodligen rätt alternativ när du gjorde det. Det kan ha dåliga
konsekvenser men jag är säker att det har funnits bra konsekvenser också - du har ju
två flickor som tycker om sin mamma.

Edited by tarvos on 26 June 2013 at 9:51am

This discussion contains 248 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version