248 messages over 31 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 ... 30 31 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 201 of 248
16 August 2013 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
I actually typed выше then somehow thought better of it. Hmmmm.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 202 of 248
16 August 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
In fact, adjectives whose stems end at г,к,х never retain them in the simple comparative
form. The forms are rather unpredictable. высокий - выше, глубокий - глубже, далёкий -
дальше, сладкий - слаще, но жидкий - жиже, тихий - тише, строгий - строже.
There is a safe way to make a comparative form - to use более. Более высокий, более
сладкий...
2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 203 of 248
16 August 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
In fact, adjectives whose stems end at г,к,х never retain them in the simple comparative
form. The forms are rather unpredictable. высокий - выше, глубокий - глубже, далёкий -
дальше, сладкий - слаще, но жидкий - жиже, тихий - тише, строгий - строже.
There is a safe way to make a comparative form - to use более. Более высокий, более
сладкий...

I know that "более + adjective" is equally correct, but is it equally used by Russian people or would I sound too "formal", or something like that?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 204 of 248
16 August 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
In some cases (like here) the simple form is preferable, but the complex form is more
universal. Here the simple form is better because it's shorter and the form выше is very
common.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4815 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 205 of 248
17 August 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
The более form can be used both as an attribute and as a predicate, while the simple form
can be used only as a predicate (except for comparatives with the prefix по which are
placed AFTER the noun they define: Выбери яблоки покрупнее). There are also words лучший,
худший, больший, меньший, which can be used as attributes.
In the predicative position the choice depends on the adjective significantly. Some
adjectives have an estabished short form, which is preferred. Лучше is much лучше than
более хорошо. But some of them do not have a short form or the form is not widely-known
to native speakers. For example, I don't know how to say более скользкий (скользко) with
one word. Then we use the compound form.

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5348 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 206 of 248
17 August 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
For example, I don't know how to say более скользкий (скользко) with
one word. Then we use the compound form.

You could always try "скольже" (like близко - ближе). Don't see why not, as there is a noun "скольжение"....

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 207 of 248
03 September 2013 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much Iguanamon, Teango, Cavesa, Mark and Tarvos for your kind remarks. One of the things I like about keeping a log is that it is like having a personal fan club. Everyone is so encouraging, that it is really helpful in finding motivation :-)Thanks again. And thank you espejismo, tarvos, mark, fabriciocarraro and simonov for helpful questions, answers and suggestions. They are useful not only to me, but also to others reading the log.

So, August. The month of August has actually been amazing, language wise. Not only did I start off with a two week Russian intensive course in Kiev, but after I came home, I managed to force myself into doing lots and lots of classes (which I soon need to register in the TAC)and now I for the first time feel that I can speak a little Russian. It is hapless and ridden with faults, but it is clearly identifiable as Russian, and part of the time even understandable :-).

I have done classes almost every day, some times as much as three hours a day, and it is starting to pay off. In fact my head is so set on Russian right now, that I was noticing that my German was disappearing. Therefore I yesterday took three hours of German, and will take another three hours tomorrow, just talking and talking. It felt about as easy as to start up a cold steam engine, and I kept putting Russian words into my German, but I am really glad that I took counter measures in time, or I might have lost German, like I have previously temporarily lost other languages.

My teacher could not stop laughing, he said it was the first time in his entire life that he met a Norwegian, who when she was supposed to say the German "Ja" continously answered "Da" instead. Particularly funny, because it is "Ja" in Norwegian as well... He also made the observation that since the words are so similar, he might not have noticed half of the time if it had not been for the fact that I buried my head in my hands and looked like a beaten dog every time.

It still gives me food for though that one year of German, 34 years ago, gives me the ability to say basically anything I want in German - being around a high B1 - bordering on B2, and 5 years of Russian (admittedly with breaks up to almost 2 and a half years in between, but still) gives me only an A2. Either I am getting senile, or Russian is waaaaay more difficult than German. It feels like I have started from scratch 20 times over.

But still. A great month. I know the Autumn will be grusome, but I will do my very best to force as many Russian classes into my schedule as I possibly can. I have also sent my protesting, feet dragging colleague on a Russian course to freshen up his knowledge. He did Russian 25 years ago, and I need him to shape up so that we can use it together. He says that he has forgotten almost everything, but given that he is the brightest, and at the same time most humble person I know, I find that highly unlikely. I have ordered a Russian course for my other colleague too, but he is more persistent in evading my attempts to lure him into learning Russian. At this rate, I should be given an honourable mentioning from the Russian state for promoting the Russian language :-)

I have also spoken lots of Spanish this month, since I have managed to spend some time with my Peruvian friend, and some Cuban friends over the last couple of weeks. Next month I will have a visit from two polyglots for almost a week, so I am counting on jogging all of my languages, something which I really look forward too :-)

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4398 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 208 of 248
03 September 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cristina, congratulations on your progress! I kind of envy you, no chance I can spend three hours a day on Russian. I am considering finding a private teacher or a tutor (there are several around where I live offering their services) because I really need to activate my Russian. It is just a problem of timing.

As for saying "Da", well I had a similar experience after an intensive week of Greek this summer, and it actually led to some serious misunderstandings. Back in France, I inadvertently said ναι instead of "oui", which my French interlocutor interpreted as "non"! Quite the contrary of what I intended.

Keep up the good work, and if you decide to come back to Team Sparta (which has not been very active as a team I'm afraid), you know you are very welcome.

This discussion contains 248 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version