Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 241 of 248
30 December 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
END OF YEAR REVIEW

So, tomorrow 2013 is over, and it is time to do my end of year report. This has not been a year of spectacular study and great successes since life threw me a couple of screwballs this year, but I have nevertheless seen progress.

RUSSIAN

This year has seen me start to speak a little Russian, and I have taken the A2 exam necessary to become a Russian citizen (not that I have any plans to do that).

I was unprepared for how difficult that would turn out to be, since I had not only self assessed to an A2, but I even had a Russian teacher who claimed I was a solid A2 even before I went to Kiev this summer. When my Russian teacher in Kiev said “Well with my help and the help of God you may succeed”, I realized that this was going to be a bumpy ride.

I have taken a number of private classes in Russian, and try to talk as much as possible, and am getting better at that, but I cannot write Russian to save my life, so I need to do something about that.

GERMAN

I have also taken some classes in German, and am still on a B1 level – with a hope of approaching a B2. I have not read anything in German this year, but it works well enough.

ITALIAN

I have done very little with my Italian this year, with the exception of a 5 day trip to Italy where I spoke as much Italian as I could. That language needs immediate first aid, or I might have to stop considering it as one of the languages that I speak. I actually signed up for an Italian course with my sister, but after one class with the two of us, the teacher first called in sick for months, and then resigned. Nuff said…

SPANISH

My Spanish keeps being very strong, and since I have plenty of opportunity to practice it, I expect it to stay strong. If I were to develop it, it would have to be in areas of law or administration, but for my needs, I am doing just fine, and I get lots of compliments for it all the time.

GREEK

My big sorrow, as I really wanted to see progress in that language this year, and I have failed miserably. I cannot even remember the alphabet. I will get back to Greek at some point though, because it remains the language of my soul.

ENGLISH

I watch so much English, and speak it so often, that I never do any special work on it in addition. If anything, I would have liked to see a speech coach who could kill the remains of my accent – but I am not really sure it is worth the effort.

SWEDISH

I do not really do anything active with Swedish – but I occasionally listen to Swedish TV or radio, and I watched “Broen” which is an absolutely brilliant Swedish TV-series. I have spoken Swedish on a few occasions, mostly for fun, and it works just fine, but does not impress anyone.

FRENCH

My French is doing great, amazingly so, considering how little practice I get. And what really got it up to speed again was the Super Challenge where I watched massive amounts of TV-series in French. Whenever I need a confidence boost, I go and read the comments which were left on the video I recorded with Richard Simcott. The feedback I get there both on my French and my Spanish almost make me blush.
So to sum up: I have made progress or stood my ground in most languages, so all I need for 2014 is to focus more.

I would like to extend my gratitude and my love to my teammates at Team MIR – I have loved being with you, and I look forward to continuing with some of you on Team Katusha in 2014! Three cheers for what I hope will be our best study year ever!

4 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4646 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 242 of 248
30 December 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I would have liked to see a speech coach who could kill the remains of my accent

Meh! Your accent is better than mine and mine, IMO, is not bad. And if you say that your daughter has even better accent then... I feel ashamed :(

Edited by prz_ on 30 December 2013 at 8:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5134 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 243 of 248
30 December 2013 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Let’s leave this rough year behind us and start afresh in 2014. It will be a pleasure to be on a team with you again this coming year.

Gott nytt år! Jag önskar dig ett fantastiskt, lyckligt och gott 2014.

Edited by Emme on 30 December 2013 at 9:25pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 244 of 248
30 December 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
@ prz: I am sure your accent is great - and as for my daughters they have already watched more American
TV than I have, and grew up listening to English, They freak me out sometimes - particularly when they start
correcting my English pronunciation.

@ Emme: thank you - I look forward to being on your team too. And yes, let's start afresh in 2014, and trust
that this will be a spectacular year :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 245 of 248
30 December 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Hej Cristina,

Du har presterat mycket i 2013, trots allt. Men det vet du redan själv :)

Dessutom tror jag att det blir av med ryskan i 2014 och att du kommer att klara dig
mycket bättre. Ryska talas av människor, inte datorer, så du kan det. Jag har
förtroende!

Det här blir ditt år!

Gott nytt år och allt härligt och fantastiskt i 2014, och det blir en succés-story, det
tvivlar jag inte på!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 246 of 248
30 December 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
@Tarvos: Thanks a lot - loosing you from the team will be like loosing an arm, but I understand that it is time for you to move on. You have succeeded in taming the Russian beast as well as Swedish this year:-) You amaze me.

I have by the way started my new 2014 log now so you are all most welcome to my

SHINY NEW LOG

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 December 2013 at 10:30pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 247 of 248
01 January 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, the best you did in 2013 wwas surely coming back to us despite all of the
issues you had to deal with! Thanks for all the support.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 248 of 248
01 January 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Cristina, the best you did in 2013 wwas surely coming back to us despite all of the
issues you had to deal with! Thanks for all the support.

Thank you - I could not abandon my flock you know :-)

This discussion contains 248 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version