5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 121 of 251
02 October 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Sono tornata da Italia solo qualche giorni fa, ma ancora non ho riuscito a tornare alla vita come al solito. Beh, che cosa posso fare? La vacanza era magnifico, ma (come al solito) troppo breve. La mia moglie e io siamo andati via a Roma. Non per niente si chiama la città enterna! Abbiamo visto tutti i attrazioni turistiche: il Foro Romano, la Vaticana, il Colosseo, la Fontana di Trevi, e molte oltre cose. Siamo anche andati per un giorno di viaggo ad Orvieto, dove abbiamo visto la antica e bella Duoma di Orvieto. Abbiamo anche mangiato e bevuto, che è tutta un'altra storia stessa. Ho anche comprato per me qualche libri in lingua Italiana che voglio leggere, perché era molto più economico a vi comprarle.

More about the trip, with a focus on language issues, in a future post. As always, all corrections are welcome.

Grazie per il tuo racconto delle tue ferie con la tua moglie a Roma. Mi pare molto interessante questo viaggio. Hai anche provato a parlare un po' d'italiano? Era una buona idea di comprare libri Italiani, perché degli Stati Uniti questi libri sarebbero carissimi, davvero?

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 October 2013 at 9:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 122 of 251
03 October 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
One thing that struck me in my visit to Rome was that EVERYONE (in the restaurant, hotel, retail and tourism
industries, at least) speaks English. The default language is generally Italian, but if someone sees you speaking
English within your group, e.g., they likely will try to help you in English. IOW, it seems to be choose your own
adventure. It's easy to be a tourist without any Italian skills, but everyone is happy to speak Italian if you are able.
I'm not sure I was really able, but I used a bit at times. As usual, the level of comfort with English tends to be
higher among the younger crowd, but everyone who does business with the mobs of tourists has been compelled
to learn basic English well. Half of the signs for shops and restaurants were in English, and I never saw a menu that
didn't have English translations on it. All of the tourist attractions, museums and the like have bi-lingual
Italian/English signage and information (e.g., descriptions of the history of artifacts on the display). The exception
is public inscriptions carved in stone that tend to be in Latin only.

With almost no exceptions, every person I met was friendly and helpful, irrespective of the linguistic interaction we
had (which ranged from 100% English to 100% Italian).

That all said, I definitely had a better experience because of my understanding of Italian. For example, I was on a
commuter train that inexplicably kept stopping, and took 3 hours to make a 1:30 trip. At one point the conductor
came through to apologize/explain to everyone, which was only done in Italian. I can't say as I understood
everything, or even the majority, but I could at least get a gist to know what the situation was, that there was a
mechanical issue with the train ahead of us, something about a door coming open, resetting something something,
etc.

At times, I almost got the impression that people thought it was cute or flattering that I tried to operate in Italian.
For example, on the Alitalia flight, in both directions I took the Corriere della Sera from the newspaper cart. This
was met with surprise and a tone that sounded something like "oh, isn't that a nice surprise" (or possibly "how
cute").

As a learning experience, I was again shocked at the effectiveness of even such a brief and partial immersion
experience. I feel like my ability to read, listen, speak and write shot up about one CEFR level or so in the course of
5 days, simply as a result of being surrounded by Italian all the time. But it's clearly not automatic. While sitting at
the Trevi fountain, for example, I overheard a young American woman talking to her friends about how she was
going to be living there for a year, IIRC, and had been there a month already. She then made an attempt at saying
"one year" which was incredibly jarring to my ears (because of the 3 or 4 grammar mistakes she managed to
squeeze into two words). I guess she hadn't been studying prior to her arrival. I'd be curious how she's doing 6
months from now, though.

Prior to my trip, I had expected to give up on Italian immediately after getting back. For the moment, at least, that
hasn't happened. Instead, I'm continuing to focus heavily on Italian. Success is addictive, after all. But furthermore,
unlike most other languages, the people I work closest with all just happen to speak Italian as a heritage language,
so I have plenty of opportunity to practice! And I don't think it hurts to schmooze up my proud Italian-American
boss in Italian. Maybe I can say I'm practicing for my next trip to Italy (in another 5-10 years)?

But furthermore, as a non-sectarian souvenir, I picked up Assimil Latina senza sforzo at the Vatican bookstore. I
tried refreshing my Latin a bit 2 years ago or so, and this seems like a good way to take that further while
practicing Italian, too. Having a utilitarian purpose for Italian (i.e., understanding the course materials) really
motivated me and made me feel good about using Italian. Perhaps a 6WC project?

Super Challenge updates coming soon. Preview: they involve a lot of Italian and football.
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4987 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 123 of 251
04 October 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the interesting report, I'm all the more excited about Rome now! It's good to hear that the Italians tend to react well to people trying to speak their language; with my level I feel like I shouldn't have problems getting by in Italian but I guess I'll see when I get there! And I am tempted to try to visit some less touristy places on my trip as well.

Also I can understand coming back from the trip with unplanned motivation for the language! My original plan was to learn Spanish first and then Italian, but a trip to Italy changed that...

Edited by garyb on 04 October 2013 at 2:09pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 124 of 251
04 October 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Your speaking is light years ahead of where mine was, based on your log. The only reason you should have
to use English at all should be if you want to, at least if you aren't traveling with a monoglot English speaker
as I was.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 125 of 251
07 October 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
SUPER CHALLENGE UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 32-38

So this update is all about the Italian audio. The first two movies I watched with Italian dubbing on the plane to and from Italy. It was especially interesting trying to follow all the profanity in The Big Lebowski (if you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean). It was pretty cool having such a large selection of Italian-language TV stations in the hotel room, but of course I didn't spend a ton of time in there watching TV. I also spent the whole trip listening carefully to what was going on around me, which included plenty of Italian, of course (but also a lot of French, German, and Russian).

Since returning, I've picked up my reading again (actually, I started during the trip on trains and planes), but I'm mostly reading in Italian now--LoTR1. That's going pretty well (~150 pages in already), as all of a sudden I feel like I can actually understand what I'm reading. Awesome! And while I haven't done much speaking practice, I continue to do occasional email correspondence in Italian. Furthermore, I actually started doing Assimil Italian lessons again, strangely enough. Reviewing the first several lessons I managed to quickly learn a good number of smallish grammar details that had been eluding me forever. After SC-type extensive exposure, going back and reviewing grammar notes quickly makes for quick learning.

So long as I can finish HP5 in Dutch by the end of the year, I'll at least finish one Half SC, and the others are a bit of a lost cause numerically. I'll have to keep it up next year. I may still be able to finish the Italian audio portion, too, without much difficulty.

The one real casualty thus far seems to be French. My active skills in French were never all that great, and my weeks of neglect have made me feel utterly incapable of producing French output again. I figure diving into a new SC and working on some writing, another Assimil active wave, etc. could fix that right up, but for now I have other priorities. My primary purpose for learning French had been to use it for understanding Assimil courses with a French base, which doesn't require active skills, so in triage, French is losing out for now. May be just as well so that I avoid increased interference with Italian at this stage.

BOOKS (Italian): 3. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Italian):
32. Angels & Demons
33. The Big Lebowski
34. SBS Radio
35. SBS Radio
36. Various TV (Mostly documentaries on RAI Storia)
37. Serie A: Fiorentina v. Parma
38. CL: Juventus v. Galatasaray

BOOKS (French): 22. ...

FILMS, ETC. (French): 50. COMPLETE

BOOKS (Dutch): 42. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch): 50. COMPLETE

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German): 25. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German): 75. ...

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 126 of 251
07 October 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
It was pretty cool having such a large selection of Italian-language TV stations in the hotel room, but of course I didn't spend a ton of time in there watching TV.

Further to this, I've discovered that a decent bit of this programming can be streamed off of the various RAI websites or viewed with the various RAI iPhone apps. So maybe I can watch Italian-language documentaries at home after all. Awesome!
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 127 of 251
08 October 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
SUPER CHALLENGE UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 39-45

So this is another update all about Italian audio. I finished the Harry Potter audiobook that I started before my trip. As I mentioned in an earlier update, it seems like my Italian levels have jumped, and that was clear also in listening to the later portions of this audiobook, where I could finally follow extended stretches reasonably well.

Looks like all I need is one football match every two weeks and I finish Italian audio, too?

Looking ahead to next year and possible follow-on super challenges, I'm thinking that somewhere between 25/25 and 50/50 films/books is a pretty good goal for maintenance over 1.5-2 years with a language that is already at B1 or better passively. Accordingly, perhaps a good goal to set would be 50/50 in each of IT/FR/NL/DE. That should be enough to get IT up to reasonably proficient and make sure I maintain (and probably improve, at least passively) the other three TLs, while being relatively achievable, and possibly even leaving room for the odd 6WC here and there (early candidates are Hebrew, Latin, Russian and maybe Danish or one of Spanish/Portuguese). I do need to be careful, though, especially with new Germanic and Romance languages. It seems once I learn to read in a language I'm loathe to abandon it, and thus I basically saddle myself with an ever-increasing "workload" of maintenance reading. I guess eventually the problem takes care of itself...

BOOKS (Italian): 3. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Italian): 39-45. Harry Potter: La Camera dei Segreti (audiobook)

BOOKS (French): 22. ...

FILMS, ETC. (French): 50. COMPLETE

BOOKS (Dutch): 42. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch): 50. COMPLETE

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German): 25. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German): 75. ...

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 128 of 251
08 October 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
That's the thing that really amazes me these days: If you start from, say, A2 or B1, progress really is an almost mechanical function of (semi-)comprehensible input, at least for receptive skills. It's like:

500 pages -> you can more or less read
2000 pages -> you can read a great many books for pleasure, with or without a dictionary
5000 pages -> you can read fast and fluently, and only have problems with really unfamiliar styles and materials

Coincidentally, I just noticed that (counting my as yet unlogged reading), these three numbers almost exactly map to where I am with Italian (~500), French (~2500) and Dutch (~4500), respectively. And it just so happens that in each case, emk's assessment is a fairly accurate description of my reading level.

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version