United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 169 of 251
13 January 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:

New challenge of willpower: I've gotten my hands on both a physical copy of Гарри Поттер и Кубок огня as well as an mp3 audiobook
of the same. The temptation is to switch over and do intensive reading along with the mp3 audio. Positives should be obvious:
better mapping of sounds and stresses to the written forms, faster reading speed and additional decoding clues from the reader's
tone, pacing and mannerisms. Negatives include having less time to puzzle out guessable unknown words and especially losing the
rhythm I've built up with my current book. If I only had another 100 pages I'd just say wait, but I have another 700 pages, so it
could take a while.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but I'm all set here to do some "traditional" L/R, and read the English version while
listening to the Russian. This will happen, sooner or later.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 170 of 251
13 January 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Cross-posted from the Катюша team thread, incorporating teammate
milesaway's suggestions:

Привет! Меня зовут Джеффри. Я еще не очень хорошо говорю по-русски. Чуть-чуть лучше
читаю.
Мне очень нравится изучать языки. В этом году я надеюсь улучшить свой уровень русского
языка.

Dutch intro still to come.

Well, capitalization)))

Edited by Марк on 13 January 2014 at 9:33pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 171 of 251
14 January 2014 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of obvious L/R possibilities, here's another one for me, and for those who are
so inclined, that I just found online:

Bible Audio in Russian
Bible Text in Russian

I listened and read through the first chapter, and the audio matched the text word for
word. I'm pretty sure they're both the Russian Synodal Version, but neither actually says
so explicitly. It's pretty neat how much I could understand while reading along in the
English, and it makes me wonder what the effect would be for me of doing large chunks of
L/R according to the rites described by the ancient HTLAL scriptures.

EDIT: See herefor an online version of
the text that explicitly identifies as the Russian Synodal Version and is a bit easier on the eyes.

Edited by geoffw on 14 January 2014 at 7:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 172 of 251
14 January 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
It so happened that I saw a few minutes of the classic movie "Miracle on 34th Street" tonight, which included a scene where the man
going by the name Kris Kringle and claiming to be the "real Santa Claus," all the while also performing in the role of store Santa at
Macy's, meets a recently arrived Dutch girl who speaks no English. He speaks Dutch with her briefly, and they sing a song in Dutch
together. In the movie, there is no translation provided. I was able to catch all but one word, as it turns out. Well, one bit I had to hear
twice, I suppose. You can watch the scene here, and a translation of the
scene can be found here.

The word I didn't know is the first word in the song after Sinterklaas, in case you didn't guess.

NL: Ik heb even maar de filmscene bekeken, en beiden, het meisje en de Sinterklaas spreken Nederlands met een zwaar buitenlands accent. Ik ben daar ook niet achter gekomen, wat het onbekende woord is, want er wordt ook vrij onduidelijk gesproken en ik ben een dergelijk buitenlands accent niet gewend.

Fasulye

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 173 of 251
14 January 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Still brainstorming this L/R thing as it applies to my own presently available options. For those who aren't yet familiar,
I'm talking about this technique. In rereading
that source, I saw the following:

"A Russian friend of mine, who only cared about reading novels (not interested in listening comprehension or speaking at
all), did L1 listening while L2 reading. She used computer generated voices! Out of curiosity, I tried it, too – you learn
pretty fast to ignore the voices, you only concentrate on the meaning."

Well, at least to start, that describes me, too, so maybe there are some other possibilities. One that came to mind
immediately, was that I have the German audiobook of Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Law, which I just purchased in Russian
hardcover. The audiobook originally was free (google "audible gutschein"), but the offers change periodically and this one
might not be available at the moment. In fact, I'm currently listening to this during my commute, so reading along with the
Russian could easily leverage some of that time into even more language-learning awesomeness.

But furthermore, there a quite a few free English-language audiobooks of Russian classics
at this site. Search for, e.g., Tolstoy. I don't have any of these books in
print at present, but many are posted online, e.g. at ru.wikisource.org.

More to think about. It's nice to have choices.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 174 of 251
14 January 2014 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:

NL: Ik heb even maar de filmscene bekeken, en beiden, het meisje en de Sinterklaas
spreken Nederlands met een zwaar buitenlands accent. Ik ben daar ook niet achter gekomen,
wat het onbekende woord is, want er wordt ook vrij onduidelijk gesproken en ik ben een
dergelijk buitenlands accent niet gewend.
Fasulye

Geen verrassing. Dat heb ik ook gedacht, maar ik heb heel wat weiniger ervaring ermee en
was er niet zeker van.

Volgens mij spreeken ook al die lui in het film een Engels dat lijkt helemaal niet op het
accent dat wij gebruiken vandaag in Amerika.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5423 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 175 of 251
14 January 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

NL: Ik heb even maar de filmscene bekeken, en beiden, het meisje en de Sinterklaas
spreken Nederlands met een zwaar buitenlands accent. Ik ben daar ook niet achter gekomen,
wat het onbekende woord is, want er wordt ook vrij onduidelijk gesproken en ik ben een
dergelijk buitenlands accent niet gewend.
Fasulye

Geen verrassing. Dat heb ik ook gedacht, maar ik heb heel wat weiniger ervaring ermee en
was er niet zeker van.

Volgens mij spreeken ook al die lui in het film een Engels dat lijkt helemaal niet op het
accent dat wij gebruiken vandaag in Amerika.

Dat liedje wordt heel vaak gedraaid rond de Sinterklaastijd. Het is een beetje de verkeerde
tijd van het jaar ervoor maar er zijn een heleboel Sinterklaasliedjes op youtube als je je
alvast wilt voorbereiden op de volgende Sinterklaas.
Sinterklaas Kapoentje

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 176 of 251
17 January 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Goals for 2014
-------------

Russian
------
Complete the January tadoku with at least 100 pages read

First goal complete. With almost half of January remaining, I've logged 119 pages of Russian reading. Now let's see
if I can hit 250 (i.e., enough to complete a 50-unit super challenge in 20 months, if done every month).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version