251 messages over 32 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 31 32 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 251
22 December 2012 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
geoffw wrote:
I often hear the commentator say "centrale," which appears to translate literally as "central" (shocking, I know). I would have guessed that this would refer either to a centering cross or to describing where on the field action is occurring. However, this appears to be something that is said when a shot
on goal is directly at the keeper and the keeper makes a clean save.

Does anybody reading this happen to know if my understanding is correct, that "centrale" is here referring to the fact that the shot was an easy save?
I think this would be just about shooting at the center rather than at the corner of the goal. a "central shot" so to say.

These shots are not necessarily easy, and for example Forlán wrote in his biography <...>

I'll pay specific attention when I watch Fiorentina and Napoli tomorrow:) <..>

edit: a youtube search for "tiro centrale" seems to confirm what I said:)
Yep, been paying attention to that, and I really don't think centrale is used figuratively here. Even in "troppo centrale" it just states the fact that the shot was *too central* so the goalie caught it. I also did a google search and found (non) troppo centrale in hotel reviews. that's quite peculiar really.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 18 of 251
23 December 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
SUPER CHALLENGE UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 13-14, French audio entry 27, and French book entry 11

The big news today is that after almost 7 months of mostly continuous work, I finally finished the passive wave of
Assimil's New French With Ease! I'm very excited. I'm not about to make any claims as to a level that Assimil "got
me to," as I've been doing lots of reading and listening for the Super Challenge, etc., and of course every little bit
helps. I DO think I can say that with the indispensable help of Assimil I have gone from clearly NOT knowing French
to clearly having SOME meaningful French ability in all 4 language skills, and I am at a level where I can comfortably
use native materials (books, tv, etc) to practice and continue to improve. I still have half of the active wave to do, so
let's wait and see how I'm doing again once I finish that.

Before finding HTLAL, I had tried to learn many different languages, but never got anywhere close to this far. After
a little while of hanging out on the forums I decided that I would learn French to "HTLAL Basic Fluency"--for a
number of reasons (e.g., access to Assimil for Hebrew/Yiddish/etc., French literature, proximity to Quebec), but
primarily as a "test case" to prove that I really can teach myself a language to a respectable level, my lingering
doubts notwithstanding. I'm not there yet, but it no longer seems impossible, or even improbable.

BOOKS (Italian): 0. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Italian):

13. Serie A: Cagliari - Juventus
14. Serie A: Pescara - Catania

BOOKS (French): 11. Assimil New French With Ease (passive wave)

FILMS, ETC. (French):

27. Petits arrangements avec ma mère (Movie on TV5MONDE)

BOOKS (Dutch): 28. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch): 24. ...

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German): 12. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German): 34. ...
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 19 of 251
23 December 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
I have always had a habit of starting many different books at the same time and not always finishing them. For
language-learning purposes this still isn't a big deal, but I am trying to finish books before logging them for the
Super Challenge. Now that instead of just English, I'm reading in many different languages (at various times:
English, Dutch, German, Yiddish, French, Italian, and Hebrew thus far), it's become more important for me to keep
track of what all I'm reading, e.g., so that I can circulate through everything appropriately to maintain frequent
contact with the languages I'm actively working on. I've been keeping track using post-it notes, but it seems like a
good idea to record it here, now that I have my own log, in case I lose my post-it notes.

Books in which I have been making substantial recent progress:

German: Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 05 (George R. R. Martin) [300 pages read]
Italian: Harry Potter 1 [60% read]
French: Le Seigneur des Anneaux, tome 1 [250 pages read]

Audiobooks:

German: Das Erste Horn: Das Geheimnis von Askir (Richard Schwartz) [11.5 hours listened]
French: 20,000 lieues sous les mers (LibriVox) [two-thirds listened]

Inactive books in which I have made substantial progress (i.e., about 100+ pages or 25%+ complete):

German: Mein Leben (Bill Clinton)
French: Le trône de fer, tome 1 (George R. R. Martin)
French: Dune (book 2 = second half of English edition)
Italian: Andreuccio da Perugia (graded reader)
Yiddish: In fremde hent (Chassidic mystery/adventure novel)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4447 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 20 of 251
23 December 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
That's great that you finished the Assimil French passive wave. I've got about six weeks
left with it myself, at a lesson per day. Sounds like your studies are going well. Keep
it up! :-)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 21 of 251
01 January 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
SUPER CHALLENGE UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 15-16, French audio entry 28-29, and French book
entries 12-15

I'm going through serious football withdrawal now with the winter break, but I never got around to logging the last
few matches. When my parents were visiting they were starting to get a little sick of Italian football, though my dad
couldn't help watching and screaming about the officiation, as usual.

I'm now halfway through the French translation of Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring (i.e., I finished "Book I"). Thus
far, I'd say that this is the most difficult prose I've read where I feel I'm doing fairly well and pretty much never
getting lost. I've read the story in English, but that was many ages ago. I read it in German, but that was about "one
age" ago. So there's a lot of general context clues, but most of the text is relatively unfamiliar nonetheless.

And my newest adventure has been BDs in French. I recently discovered BDs numeriques, which can be had for
"location" at izneo.com, generally for 2 Euros a pop. Inspired by emk's log, I read the first book from the Aldébaran
series, which then led my to take Blake et Mortimer for a spin. These have been the highest-level French so far
where I've been able to approach 100% comprehension, so I think this is proving a great source for difficult-but-
comprehensible input.

I'm a little at a loss for how to log the BDs, however, since they vary wildly in terms of text density. The Donald
Duck BD that I read was relatively light on text, whereas Blake et Mortimer is filled with massive text bubbles all
over the place, where a lot of pages are quite comparable to standard book pages. I'm just taking a wild guess, but
in this case I converted the Donald Duck BD at a rate of 400 pages per book, and the others at a rate of 200 pages
per book. I think it'll all come out in the wash well enough.

BOOKS (Italian): 0. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Italian):

15. Serie A: Roma - Milan
16. Serie A: Inter - Genoa

BOOKS (French):

12-14. Le Seigneur des Anneaux, Livre I (375 pages)
15. Bandes Desinées:
   Super Piscou Geant - Les origines de Doubleduck
   Aldébaran - la catastrophe
   Blake & Mortimer - Le Secret d'Espadon, t.1

FILMS, ETC. (French):

28. Ligue 1: Lille - Montpelier
29. Foot!

BOOKS (Dutch): 28. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch): 24. ...

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German): 12. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German): 34. ...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 251
02 January 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
There's still the crazy English football, with Boxing Day and all :-) I watched Arsenal in Italian today :)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 23 of 251
02 January 2013 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There's still the crazy English football, with Boxing Day and all :-) I watched Arsenal in Italian
today :)

Funny you should mention, I did actually watch ManU-Newcastle on Boxing Day (in English). What a wild ride THAT
was!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 24 of 251
02 January 2013 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
Hehe I also did. In Polish, I think :)
(some fans are offended by the "ManU" abbreviation btw...)

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version