United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4424 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 33 of 251
11 January 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, sometimes I'll completely forget some vocab, and I'll tend to go over those words more when I review the lesson in the future. Usually, though, this happens more when I haven't been as diligent in doing my weekly review (as in my edit above).

Edited by tastyonions on 11 January 2013 at 2:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4424 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 34 of 251
11 January 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I've actually thought about using the "one group for each day" idea on a larger basis, e.g. within my French folder, having a "Sunday" folder and a "Monday" folder and so on, and in each folder putting a bunch of things that I go back to review once a week. Seems like it would be a nice way to organize things, anyway.

Sorry to crowd up your thread with posts. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 35 of 251
11 January 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
I always remember something awesome to add right after I hit "post reply." It's all great food for thought. Thanks!

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 36 of 251
11 January 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Here's a blast from the not-too-distant past. This is what I wrote about Dutch when signing up for the Super
Challenge back in April 2012:

geoffw wrote:

("UNOFFICIAL") LANGUAGE: Dutch

CHALLENGE: 50/50

LEVEL: Passive-B1. Active-Total beginner.

COMMENTS: My German and Yiddish have allowed me to start understanding a lot with just a few weeks of study,
but I have essentially zero active skills. Naturally, I'd like to have them someday, but for now my goal in this
challenge is to reach at least a solid B2 in passive skills, and I'm not working on active skills. I am calling this my
"UNOFFICIAL" entry because I'm much more serious about trying to complete the French challenge, but I plan to do
a lot with Dutch in the 6WC, and I want to record it here. And who knows, maybe I'll complete one or both parts of
this challenge?

Today I checked out some sample exam materials from the Nederlands als Tweede Taal (NT2), which is and official
Netherlands Dutch proficiency exam. They have two levels, which are supposed to equate to B1 and B2. I didn't
take the time to do the whole thing, but I did a portion of the listening and reading tests for the B2 exam to get a
feel for them. I got perfect scores on each, boom
goes the dynamite.
Unsurprisingly, I still have essentially zero
active skills at the moment. I wonder if I would meet A1 at least. But this very encouraging result will certainly
encourage me to find time to work on active skills--I have the Assimil Dutch course sitting at home as we speak,
btw. Now if only I could find the time...

Edited by geoffw on 11 January 2013 at 8:04pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 37 of 251
11 January 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I recently received Assimil Using French from amazon, but I was
disappointed to discover that, despite apparent
information indicating otherwise on the webpage, it did not include the audio. At least
it was cheap, but now I need
to figure out what to do with this, as I've never tried using an Assimil course without
audio. I notice that, unlike
NFWE, the basic course instructions say nothing about doing two waves.

Or you could download the audio. I could find that link somewhere for you, if you wish,
that's how I got it. :-)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 38 of 251
14 January 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
SUPER CHALLENGE UPDATE - Added Italian audio entries 17-21, French audio entry 30, French book
entry 16 and Dutch Audio entries 25-26

Basically just a whole bunch of random listening to report this time. After trying to put Dutch aside back in
November or so, I've been bitten by the bug again and started listening to and reading random things all over the
place, and I just downloaded the Dutch translation of Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring from bol.com. I've
successfully read the first book of the Harry Potter series in EN/DE/NL/FR (working on IT), and now it looks like I
may soon do the same (minus IT for now) with LoTR (EN/DE done, FR over halfway, and NL just starting). As if
that's not enough, I'm also 50+ pages into The Hobbit--in Yiddish. Tolkien seems to be a good step up for me
from HP in terms of difficulty, while still being a bit easier than George R. R. Martin (which I've at least spent a good
while with in each of DE/NL/FR so far--I've done a few pages in IT, but actually never read the books in EN, though
I saw the first season of the HBO series).

I see that my numbers for Italian audio are shooting through the roof already with these football matches. While I
still think Italian is easily my worst TL right now by a long shot (as should be expected so far), I'm pretty pleased
with the degree to which the commentary is starting to make sense. It seems to come easiest when I stop paying
attention, for some reason, and then I discover that I've been understanding it accidentally. When I try to start
concentrating, though, it often slips back into obscurity. I wonder if there's some sort of left-brain/right-brain
magic at work there.

BOOKS (Italian): 0. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Italian):

17. Serie A: Catania - Torino
18. Serie A: Lazio - Cagliari
19. Serie A: Udinese - Inter
20. Serie A: Bologna - Chievo
21. Serie A: Inter - Pescara

BOOKS (French):

16. Bandes Desinées:
   Blake & Mortimer - Le Secret d'Espadon, t.2-t.3

FILMS, ETC. (French):

30. SBS French 12/30, etc.

BOOKS (Dutch): 28. ...

FILMS, ETC. (Dutch):

24. SBS Dutch / BNR Nieuwsradio
25. Citybooks - Een Lied Over Tbilisi, etc.

I am not entered in any Super Challenge for German, but I also am still reporting for my log:

BOOKS (German): 12. ...

FILMS, ETC. (German): 35-43. Das Erste Horn (Das Geheimnis von Askir 1)(audiobook)

Malek
Groupie
Christmas Island
Joined 4102 days ago

60 posts - 76 votes 

Message 39 of 251
14 January 2013 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Het lijkt me dat het best goed gaat met je talen, Geoffw! Heel goed zo!

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 40 of 251
14 January 2013 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Malek wrote:
Het lijkt me dat het best goed gaat met je talen, Geoffw! Heel goed zo!

Dank je wel! Mijn talen, zeker, maar mijn slaap, dat is een ander verhaal...

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version